The Student Room Group

Help with Adv. Higher choices

For some reason my school has put me in a position where I only have a few days to decide what Adv. Highers that I want to do, which I havent really put alot thought into.
I was originally going to pick Adv Biology, Chemistry and Physics, but for some reason I either need to crash a Higher with these, or do Adv. Maths too.
So I'm wondering is doing Adv. sciences and Maths a huge workload? How much more work is it from 5 Highers?
Also, I do like Maths and am coping really well with it, but can someone with a moderate interest do well at Adv. Higher, or do you need to be really interested to not be put off by the workload?
Reply 1
Original post by Pennyarcade
For some reason my school has put me in a position where I only have a few days to decide what Adv. Highers that I want to do, which I havent really put alot thought into.
I was originally going to pick Adv Biology, Chemistry and Physics, but for some reason I either need to crash a Higher with these, or do Adv. Maths too.
So I'm wondering is doing Adv. sciences and Maths a huge workload? How much more work is it from 5 Highers?
Also, I do like Maths and am coping really well with it, but can someone with a moderate interest do well at Adv. Higher, or do you need to be really interested to not be put off by the workload?

Tbh, the extra work load for AH maths will be similar to that of a crash Higher, possibly even less. Last year I did 3 sciences + AH maths and applied maths, and the main workload was for the sciences, getting all those investigations done. And in comparison, hardly did any work for maths and stats. There isn't that much to know in maths compared to other subjects, the main difficulty arises from more complex concepts and harder questions.

So, if you maths comes 'naturally' to you, then it wouldn't be too much of a bother. The main question would be the workload with doing the three sciences and investigations. If you're organised and stuff, there's no reason why this isn't possible.

If you take investigations out of the picture, then I actually worked much less in sixth year as compared to fifth year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Asklepios
Tbh, the extra work load for AH maths will be similar to that of a crash Higher, possibly even less. Last year I did 3 sciences + AH maths and applied maths, and the main workload was for the sciences, getting all those investigations done. And in comparison, hardly did any work for maths and stats. There isn't that much to know in maths compared to other subjects, the main difficulty arises from more complex concepts and harder questions.

So, if you maths comes 'naturally' to you, then it wouldn't be too much of a bother. The main question would be the workload with doing the three sciences and investigations. If you're organised and stuff, there's no reason why this isn't possible.

If you take investigations out of the picture, then I actually worked much less in sixth year as compared to fifth year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, I was strongly advised against it, but its reassuring to know that I wont 'want to kill myself' by christmas. Is the jump between highers and Adv highers big for sciences + maths? My teachers were telling me all these stories about people who overworked themselves etc.
Of course this all depends on if I manage to get 5A's :redface:
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, I was strongly advised against it, but its reassuring to know that I wont 'want to kill myself' by christmas. Is the jump between highers and Adv highers big for sciences + maths? My teachers were telling me all these stories about people who overworked themselves etc.
Of course this all depends on if I manage to get 5A's :redface:

Not particularly, it is probably the same size as the jump between SG and higher, maybe slightly more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
A girl in my school that I know did 3 sciences and maths at Advanced Higher... she crazy.
Reply 5
Original post by Dylankj96
A girl in my school that I know did 3 sciences and maths at Advanced Higher... she crazy.

How did she find it? Did she do well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
How did she find it? Did she do well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well she's still doing them just now but yeah, she got all As in her prelims.
You will need to keep on top of it all as much as you can throughout the whole year. Consider how good your teachers will be for all those subjects because that can make a huge difference.
It would be fun though!
I think the physics investigation is much easier than the bio and chem ones, but I'm not too sure because I've only just started my physics investigation. If you're going to do all four, I'd recommend not getting a part time job, and getting your UCAS done as early as possible. Start your personal statement in the summer if you feel you can.
Wooo old thread.

I have decided to do maths, biology, chemistry and physics, but I also want to do Adv Mechanics too. The problem is, I will need to self teach it :tongue:. I heard that its rather easy as you cover most of the content in Maths and Physics, is this true? Also is it counted as a real Advanced higher?
How do you even go about self teaching anyway, does the school give you materials or do you need to get them yourself?
Reply 9
Wooo old thread.

I have decided to do maths, biology, chemistry and physics, but I also want to do Adv Mechanics too. The problem is, I will need to self teach it :tongue:. I heard that its rather easy as you cover most of the content in Maths and Physics, is this true? Also is it counted as a real Advanced higher?
How do you even go about self teaching anyway, does the school give you materials or do you need to get them yourself?

Buy a book pertaining to the course and learn it (though what the **** is ADV Mechanics and are there even any textbooks for it). I don't think the school option is viable; only private schools would have such resources. Hawhaw.
Original post by Ecasx
Buy a book pertaining to the course and learn it (though what the **** is ADV Mechanics and are there even any textbooks for it). I don't think the school option is viable; only private schools would have such resources. Hawhaw.

Unfortunately I dont think there are textbooks for Adv applied subjects :frown: Hopefully my school will have them, or will be able to get me them... otherwise I will need to find a way
Wooo old thread.

I did mechanics this year so you can ask me questions if you like. Although I might not answer them until my exams are over.
What resources your school has will depend on your school. My head of maths had past papers 2002-2009, although I'd left studying Applied Maths so late (due to my physics investigation) that I only had time to complete from 2005 onwards.
I'll scan the earlier ones for you after my exams. There's probs rules against that though?
Btw, that's a lot of work you're taking on.
I did maths, mechanics, physics and french. I didn't devote much time to French due to not needing it for uni, but I haven't found the other three particularly easy (although I've had a much reduced work-ethic this year compared to earlier years, had to study for an admissions test, worked weekends all year and evenings until December)
Original post by jadoreétudier
I did mechanics this year so you can ask me questions if you like. Although I might not answer them until my exams are over.
What resources your school has will depend on your school. My head of maths had past papers 2002-2009, although I'd left studying Applied Maths so late (due to my physics investigation) that I only had time to complete from 2005 onwards.
I'll scan the earlier ones for you after my exams. There's probs rules against that though?

Im going to speak to my pst on thursday about it and I will get the details about it then. I suppose its good to stockpile resources incase I do decide to go ahead with it :smile:
There may be rules against it, Im not entirely sure.
On a completely unrelated note, I will pm you my email address after the exam session so you can erm... scan me some pictures of... things... If thats okay with you?

Original post by jadoreétudier

Btw, that's a lot of work you're taking on.
I did maths, mechanics, physics and french. I didn't devote much time to French due to not needing it for uni, but I haven't found the other three particularly easy (although I've had a much reduced work-ethic this year compared to earlier years, had to study for an admissions test, worked weekends all year and evenings until December)

Dont worry, Im totally up for cancelling every party I dont get invited to inorder to work.. its fiiiiine.
Do you need to learn loads of new stuff for mechanics or do you get taught most of it in maths and physics?
Thanks you.

Original post by Bromaldehyde

Bookmarked now, thanks :biggrin:
Im going to speak to my pst on thursday about it and I will get the details about it then. I suppose its good to stockpile resources incase I do decide to go ahead with it :smile:
There may be rules against it, Im not entirely sure.
On a completely unrelated note, I will pm you my email address after the exam session so you can erm... scan me some pictures of... things... If thats okay with you?

Dont worry, Im totally up for cancelling every party I dont get invited to inorder to work.. its fiiiiine.
Do you need to learn loads of new stuff for mechanics or do you get taught most of it in maths and physics?
Thanks you.

Bookmarked now, thanks :biggrin:

haha no I meant working as in a part-time job :P
you need to learn a fair bit more yes, because they expect you to answer questions differently to how you would in physics. :smile: I'd say it's the equivalent of doing another higher. It will help you with the mechanics unit in physics and vice versa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending