The Student Room Group

Mark Duggan Verdict

Mark Duggan Lawfully Killed, Jury Finds

Mark Duggan was unarmed when he was shot dead by police but was lawfully killed, an inquest jury has found.

The jury said they believed he had the gun with him in the taxi when police stopped the vehicle but had thrown it over railings by the time he was shot.

A shout of "rubbish" could be heard in the coroner's court when the verdict was delivered.

The jury reached its conclusion by eight to two.

Mr Duggan was shot dead by armed police in Tottenham in August 2011, sparking rioting in London that eventually spread to other cities.

Police intelligence suggested Mr Duggan was a gang member involved in gun and drugs crimes and officers believed he had just collected a gun in east London.

A firearms officer shot him twice as he emerged from a minicab that police had forced to stop.

One bullet went through his arm, the other hit his chest and killed him.

At the centre of the inquest was the issue of a handgun, found, said police, 10 to 20 feet from Mr Duggan's body and on the other side of park railings.

In heated exchanges with the Duggan family lawyer, police denied suggestions they had planted the gun.

The weapon was wrapped in a sock.

Neither had any trace of Mr Duggan's DNA or fingerprints, but his prints were found on a shoebox police said had been used to carry the gun inside the minicab.The jury

One witness, Witness B, told jurors Mr Duggan was "definitely" holding a phone in his hand when he was killed.

But the police marksman who fired the shots, granted anonymity, told the inquest he had "an honestly held belief" that the suspect had a gun and was about to shoot him.

Mr Duggan's death prompted rioting in Tottenham, north London, which eventually spread to other areas of the capital and beyond.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is still investigating the incident.

In an interim statement in August, it said it had so far found no evidence of criminality by police officers.

But Mr Duggan's family has said it has not been kept fully informed of the investigation's progress and condemned the IPCC for suggesting early on that Mr Duggan, a father-four, had died in "a shoot-out with police".

Scroll to see replies

So do you believe it ? or do you think its yet another police stitch up
Reply 2
Police stop someone who they believe to be carrying a gun, they don't cooperate, policeman thinks he's about to get shot, policeman shoots them.

Am I missing something? This seems totally fine to me. He had it coming.
Whatever, he was a gangster and to portray him as a victim is nonsense.
Reply 4
I'm not going to shed any tears over him to be honest.
Keep it coming guys . Just out of interest is there any solid "proof" that this guy was a gangster ?
Evolution in action
If I had an armed police officer pointing a gun at me I would comply. He brought it on himself.
Reply 8
I would rather be safe than sorry police must be given support it is not as if they go round massacring people all the time and abuse their position, these incidents are very uncommon and the measure of shooting a suspect is not standard unless it is abslutely necessary. The jury came to the right decision he was a criminal, had just had a gun on him and was acting in a threatening and erratic manner. Police were perfectly within their rights to shoot him and the jury are correct.

Now queue all the calls of racism blah blah blah
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
"Did Mr Duggan have the gun with him in the taxi immediately before the stop?" "Yes"

Police acted lawfully and as a member of the public I thank them for their quick response to someone who was known to possess a gun in the vehicle and was not complying.
Reply 10
They shot him when he was unarmed, just saying.
Original post by theoferdinand
Keep it coming guys . Just out of interest is there any solid "proof" that this guy was a gangster ?

He was a drug dealer and a member of the ridiculously named 'Mandem' street gang. I don't know what the police have on him but it was an open secret for anyone who lived down near Tottenham way that the guy was a gangster thug.
(edited 10 years ago)
Considering that members of the Met police tried to stitch up a government minister from the party of law and order for motives that remain unknown, then I hate to think what they would do to make sure that the killing of a guy involved in London gang crime is perceived as lawful.

So I remain sceptical. Which is not to say that I believe the police planted evidence or were not justified in shooting him or whatever. Just that I remain sceptical.
Original post by Ace123
I would rather be safe than sorry police must be given support it is not as if they go round massacring people all the time and abuse their position, these incidents are very uncommon and the measure of shooting a suspect is not standard unless it is abslutely necessary. The jury came to the right decision he was a criminal, had just had a gun on him and was acting in a threatening and erratic manner. Police were perfectly within their rights to shoot him and the jury are correct.

Now queue all the calls of racism blah blah blah

He wasn't armed when he was shot plus they didn't have to shoot him in his chest
There's something fishy about this whole case.
Original post by pol pot noodles
He was a drug dealer and a member of the ridiculously named 'Mandem' street gang. I don't know what the police have on him but it was an open secret for anyone who lived down near Tottenham way that the guy was a gangster thug.

Any proof of this ? Im searching online and cant find any of this
Reply 16

Det Ch Insp Mick Foote, from the Met's gang crime unit Trident, said Mark Duggan was a "confrontational and violent" member of Tottenham Man Dem, a gang associated with drug dealing and violence, the latter usually targeted at other gangs in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25363828
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Mindless Behavior
He wasn't armed when he was shot plus they didn't have to shoot him in his chest

There is no legal requirement for him to be armed the second they start firing. He had one seconds before. Shooting him on his hand to get him of the wheel or whatever is the stuff of films. Armed police will aim for centre mass.
(edited 10 years ago)

What proof exactly are you looking for? The Met Police Trident gang unit declared him a gangster and drug dealer, that's about the best 'proof' you'll get beyond anecdotes from people who live in North London.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2QainXIaU THEY SHOT HIS HEAD OFF :rolleyes:

what a waste of a riot from a bunch of vultures. No sadness over here, good riddance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending