The Student Room Group

Should we get rid of criminal records?

Poll

Should criminal records be abolished?

I think the criminal record system is damaging and wrong. Surely if someone has committed a crime, been convicted and then served a sentence for it then that is their punishment. Not having something following them everywhere they go for the rest of their lives, preventing them from going to certain places (USA and Australia notably I think), having certain jobs, or most jobs (since if an ex-criminal is up against someone with a clean record for a job they're going to get disregarded).
Certain things, such as repeat sex offenders, or any criminals who just keep on offending, or anything such as any abuse against children, I think that apart from the sex offenders register then they should have something following them to warn people of their danger, but isn't it unfair on those who want to turn their life around but are prevented from doing so? Also making it more likely to reoffend since they are pushed into it.
Anyway, what do people think of this idea, is there anything massive that I've totally missed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Simply no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I actually agree. You do the crime, you do the time. That should be that.

Original post by Jkizer
No. Simply no.

Why not?
Reply 3
Well your conviction becomes 'spent' after a period, I don't think it's ridiculous for employers to know if someone has committed a crime relatively recently.
The only people who will see your full criminal record (other than the freemasons, zionists, NSA etc.) are potential employers who are able to ask for an enhanced CRB - those employing teachers, nurses and policemen for example. These employers are then still able to use their discretion. Does it matter if a teacher drove drunk when he was 19, ten years on? Or got caught with a joint? No, not really. So headteachers can choose to ignore that.
Reply 5
No, part of the punishment is to be excluded from certain things in the future.
No; the criminal record is part of the punishment. Knowing the harm it could do to your prospects in the future is a disincentive to commit crime.
nope it should stay
Reply 8
a leopard doesnt change his spots
Original post by Le Nombre
Well your conviction becomes 'spent' after a period, I don't think it's ridiculous for employers to know if someone has committed a crime relatively recently.

Yes, but I think everything still shows up if you get an advanced check - why should you still have to suffer if you committed a petty crime 20 years ago etc. Obviously rape, murder etc are different.
Original post by qwertyking
Yes, but I think everything still shows up if you get an advanced check - why should you still have to suffer if you committed a petty crime 20 years ago etc. Obviously rape, murder etc are different.

Advanced checks are only for certain jobs though for which it's felt a higher level of character is necessary than others (teacher, solicitor, doctor etc.) and even then it's unlikely employers would care unless it was directly related to the job (obviously for some like lawyers any offence will be).
If a person has a record for stealing, unwarranted violence etc then I want to know about it. Just because they have done their time doesn't mean they will have certainly changed.

If people are so eager to avoid being judged on their past mistakes-then don't make them. Simple. Don't really badly screw up (yes breaking the law for theft for example for most of society this is really badly screwing up) and want a clean slate afterwards as well after a few years.
Reply 12
Original post by Jjj90
Why not?

Firstly im not sure many countries would like the idea that a 'criminal' from foreign soil could enter their borders. Its near impossible to tell the criminal has TRULEY changed their ways. Unfortunately they committed a crime and they should be punished.

(If anything i think the idea of prisons should be changed. Essentially they are receiving free meals and accommodation, paid by the population)
Reply 13
Original post by dzoric
a leopard doesnt change his spots

There is no doubt you're a different person at 40 than 20.
Reply 14
Original post by bananaminion
I think the criminal record system is damaging and wrong. Surely if someone has committed a crime, been convicted and then served a sentence for it then that is their punishment. Not having something following them everywhere they go for the rest of their lives, preventing them from going to certain places (USA and Australia notably I think), having certain jobs, or most jobs (since if an ex-criminal is up against someone with a clean record for a job they're going to get disregarded).
Certain things, such as repeat sex offenders, or any criminals who just keep on offending, or anything such as any abuse against children, I think that apart from the sex offenders register then they should have something following them to warn people of their danger, but isn't it unfair on those who want to turn their life around but are prevented from doing so? Also making it more likely to reoffend since they are pushed into it.
Anyway, what do people think of this idea, is there anything massive that I've totally missed?

I agree with you! Only for certain offences where the crime is related to the situation - sex offences for those working around children, theft and shops, etc. - should the records be open to civilians.

And for those saying no: do you agree with our justice system as it is - rehabilitative as opposed to punitive? Because, if sentencing for most crimes (unless they're major/dangerous) is focused on rehabilitation (or should be IMO, as it offers a better way to reduce recidivism and improve contribution to society post-prison), then keeping records and punishing those who have offended years after their crime kinda defeats the aim of the system!
Reply 15
Original post by Jkizer
Firstly im not sure many countries would like the idea that a 'criminal' from foreign soil could enter their borders. Its near impossible to tell the criminal has TRULEY changed their ways. Unfortunately they committed a crime and they should be punished.

(If anything i think the idea of prisons should be changed. Essentially they are receiving free meals and accommodation, paid by the population)

What changes would you make? :holmes:
Original post by Ceryni
I agree with you! Only for certain offences where the crime is related to the situation - sex offences for those working around children, theft and shops, etc. - should the records be open to civilians.

And for those saying no: do you agree with our justice system as it is - rehabilitative as opposed to punitive? Because, if sentencing for most crimes (unless they're major/dangerous) is focused on rehabilitation (or should be IMO, as it offers a better way to reduce recidivism and improve contribution to society post-prison), then keeping records and punishing those who have offended years after their crime kinda defeats the aim of the system!

I don't know if the records are currently open to civilians as in the general public - but I think stuff like when you have to "*tick this box if you have any kind of criminal record not including driving offences*" on a job app form, or a form for anything, and you are simply refused a job because there are people looking for work without a record - like you say, completely defeats the point of rehabilitation as there's nowhere they can go.
Personally I think the main point of prison terms has to be punitive, but rehabilitation has to be kinda intermingled with that.
Reply 17
Original post by bananaminion
I don't know if the records are currently open to civilians as in the general public - but I think stuff like when you have to "*tick this box if you have any kind of criminal record not including driving offences*" on a job app form, or a form for anything, and you are simply refused a job because there are people looking for work without a record - like you say, completely defeats the point of rehabilitation as there's nowhere they can go.
Personally I think the main point of prison terms has to be punitive, but rehabilitation has to be kinda intermingled with that.

Sorry, when I meant civilians, I meant anyone not working in police/civil service areas where they may need to open access to records for their work!

If we want to reduce the chances of re-offence, we have to give those previously convicted a fighting chance to regain a normal life once released from prison! :s-smilie:
In its entirety, absolutely not. I would argue though that some crimes should not lead to someone having a criminal record as such, for example piracy.
Reply 19
There's no way they should be got rid of. Imagine the uproar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending