The Student Room Group

Suggestions for side dishes to go with fish pie!

Hi!

I'm cooking for someone tomorrow and have decided to make a fish pie for the main course. It's a recipe I've used plenty of times before so I'm confident about how it will turn out but I can't decide what to serve with it.

I put peas, sweetcorn and diced carrots in the pie itself so serving veg as a side dish seems unnecessary but I want to avoid the other obvious choice of garlic bread!

Any suggestions?
Mashed potatoes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
Mashed potatoes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fish pie has mashed potato as the top layer so that would be a lot of potato!
Original post by Sazzle4
A fish pie has mashed potato as the top layer so that would be a lot of potato!

Oops, I didn't know that.

What about baked beans? Then you can dip the potato layer in the juice. Om nom. :smile:
Reply 4
You could have some steamed veggies?
Reply 5
Original post by ColdWishes
You could have some steamed veggies?

I was thinking something like green beans or fresh broccoli might go quite well? I'm not an amazing cook but I want to do my best to impress! I'm planning on a baked vanilla cheesecake for dessert.
Reply 6
Original post by Sazzle4
I was thinking something like green beans or fresh broccoli might go quite well? I'm not an amazing cook but I want to do my best to impress! I'm planning on a baked vanilla cheesecake for dessert.

Maybe mixed veggies would be better, unless you know they like green beans/fresh broccoli.
As an Asian, I'm suggesting rice.
Reply 8
Easy peasy option.
Buttered minted greens.
Get some peas, broccoli, leeks etc.
Slice the leeks into rings and cook them in a pan with some butter. Meanwhile steam your broccoli and peas. Add the steamed veg to the leeks. Toss it all together so it's evenly coated in butter. Chop up some fresh mint and stir into the veg and voila! Very tasty, very easy but a bit fancier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by AletiaL
Easy peasy option.
Buttered minted greens.
Get some peas, broccoli, leeks etc.
Slice the leeks into rings and cook them in a pan with some butter. Meanwhile steam your broccoli and peas. Add the steamed veg to the leeks. Toss it all together so it's evenly coated in butter. Chop up some fresh mint and stir into the veg and voila! Very tasty, very easy but a bit fancier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! This sounds perfect!

Quick Reply

Latest