The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2700
Original post by Jupperrs
Everyone ignored my one :frown:

Industrial Economics at Nottingham, or Pure Economics at York

Nottingham has a slightly better overall reputation and for economics, but York is still a good Russell group university. You could probably switch from industrial to pure while you're at Nottingham so id go there personally, but if you prefer the York course or university as a place go there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2701
Original post by LFR
Nottingham has a slightly better overall reputation and for economics, but York is still a good Russell group university. You could probably switch from industrial to pure while you're at Nottingham so id go there personally, but if you prefer the York course or university as a place go there

Hmm difficult
Reply 2702

Nottingham has the better reputation for Economics and overall IMO.

They're both pretty good though so consider other factors like location, costs etc

I'm in the same situation as you haha! I've got the same offers as you, and I hope to go down the finance route post-university (possibly IB). What are your thoughts on reputation/careers services/networking opportunities for York and Notts?
Reply 2704
Do you guys think there is much of a notable difference between economics at Southampton and Exeter ?

One will be my firm and still unsure :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2705
So happy just got an offer from Nottingham for L100 3a's!
Original post by NewtoTSR

I received the same today, congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Do you guys think there is much of a notable difference between economics at Southampton and Exeter ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww aren't you gonna come Surrey? D:
Original post by Jkizer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd probably say Exeter as firm and Southampton as insurance although it depends on what you think on these 2 unis, have you been to both of them? If so how's the atmosphere, etc. When it's between 2 very good universities the only deciding factor would be which one you like better.
Reply 2709
Original post by NewtoTSR

Original post by Rafael_96
I received the same today, congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know why you got AAA rather than A*AA?

Got an economics & econometrics offer for A*AA but I applied for straight economics as well, I guess I should expect a reply soon!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ross95
Do you know why you got AAA rather than A*AA?

Got an economics & econometrics offer for A*AA but I applied for straight economics as well, I guess I should expect a reply soon!

I assume cause they want you to accept their university? All of my offers so far have been below the usual grade requirement (like the Nottingham one today). Which I'm not liking, I want a challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2711
Original post by Rafael_96
I assume cause they want you to accept their university? All of my offers so far have been below the usual grade requirement (like the Nottingham one today). Which I'm not liking, I want a challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I though universities tended to give higher offers to make you firm them rather than use a lower offer as an insurance? Just wondering if you had any circumstances that would lead to a contextual offer.
Reply 2712
Original post by blazekid75
Aww aren't you gonna come Surrey? D:

Maybeeee :frown: Didnt know i had someone here who actually wants me to go to the same uni haha :smile:

Knowing me, my exams will flunk and ill see you there perhaps? o.O

Original post by Dilzo999
I'd probably say Exeter as firm and Southampton as insurance although it depends on what you think on these 2 unis, have you been to both of them? If so how's the atmosphere, etc. When it's between 2 very good universities the only deciding factor would be which one you like better.

Main problem is exeters typical is AAA, whilst southampton is AAA/AAB (EPQ). I like them both really which is the problem! >:frown:
Exeters i suppose has slightly more prestige and has a sandwich year built in, accomondation and town slightly better also imo.
Yet Southampton i feel slightly more comfortable at, also I am swaying a bit towards more of their course !

I went on both open days, but ill probably head down to the applicants day when time is slightly more free. So much indecision :frown:
Original post by ross95
I though universities tended to give higher offers to make you firm them rather than use a lower offer as an insurance? Just wondering if you had any circumstances that would lead to a contextual offer.

I don't see the logic in that. If I apply before 15 Oct. deadline doubt let's say Queens Mary will think I'll be firming them when applied to more prestigious universities. Though they did try to tempt me with a academic scholarship ^^
I think it's lower offer to make sure you meet it and accept them but you may be right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Maybeeee :frown: Didnt know i had someone here who actually wants me to go to the same uni haha :smile:

Knowing me, my exams will flunk and ill see you there perhaps? o.O

Haha such positivity. xD I remember seeing you saying you were applying to Surrey so I wasn't alone :biggrin: I think I might choose Surrey over York and who knows, If I do better than expected I could try adjustment or even take a gap year.
Are you attending the applicant days for econ for any chance?
Reply 2715
Original post by blazekid75
Haha such positivity. xD I remember seeing you saying you were applying to Surrey so I wasn't alone :biggrin: I think I might choose Surrey over York and who knows, If I do better than expected I could try adjustment or even take a gap year.
Are you attending the applicant days for econ for any chance?

I might go to surreys as im almost 98% sure it will be one of my choices.

What date have you picked? I should maybe book one before it all fills up!
(I've known about it for a while, its just that i've been in a lazy state!)
Well I'm just sat here trying to comprehend why I'm only in the "maybe" pile for Nottingham L100 when Bath, arguably as good/slightly better gave me an offer a couple of days after receiving my application.

It's frustrating because if I received an AAA offer from them (as a few on here have), I'd be able to have a really good insurance lined up (in case I missed the A*).

Confused. I know I sound big headed but I have a PS with a ton of relevant EC, strong preds (A*A*A) and AS grades, a relevant EPQ + additional FM AS this summer. I chose Nottingham (for one reason) because I thought I stood a fairly good chance of receiving an offer to firm with if Bath didn't want me.

Ugh. At least I haven't definitely been rejected yet. I was really hoping on something to insure with, though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pro Crastination
Well I'm just sat here trying to comprehend why I'm only in the "maybe" pile for Nottingham L100 when Bath, arguably as good/slightly better gave me an offer a couple of days after receiving my application.

It's frustrating because if I received an AAA offer from them (as a few on here have), I'd be able to have a really good insurance lined up (in case I missed the A*).

Confused. I know I sound big headed but I have a PS with a ton of relevant EC, strong preds (A*A*A) and AS grades, a relevant EPQ + additional FM AS this summer. I chose Nottingham (for one reason) because I thought I stood a fairly good chance of receiving an offer to firm with if Bath didn't want me.

Ugh. At least I haven't definitely been rejected yet. I was really hoping on something to insure with, though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be patient.
Reply 2718
I was wondering I've recently applied for Economics BA at UoL Im still waiting for a offer but I've just read the thread and seen that BA is seen as being worthless so are my job prospects poor
Economics and International economics at Nottingham (Bsc) or Economics (Bsc) at York? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending