The Student Room Group

JAN 2014 AS levels for international students

Hey,

So I've heard that we (international students) are allowed to resit Edexcel AS levels (renamed International Advanced levels). Our teacher informed us today that while these exams will be conducted in our school, they will not be 'Ofqual-certified' and that retaking AS modules in June (along with A2 units) would be a much better option as June sessions will be ofqual-approved.
Do you suggest I resit the exams in Jan anyway? Will Unis reject my repeated grades just because they're not Ofqual-approved?

(I did get AAA but my marks are just along the grade boundaries so I think repeating some modules would definitely improve my chances of getting an A or A* at A2 overall. I don't really think I can retake all those modules in June along with the A2 units because of the added pressure :frown: )
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm also an international student.

Jan exams are only allowed for students completing their Advanced Levels in that period. If you sit the January exams, I guess you can't sit for any of the GCE exams hereafter.
But you can sit for January exams but it'll be IGCE (International GCE) which is a COMPLETE different qualification to GCE, and you can't MIX and MATCH modules which means you can't do half of this and half of that. And the results will be in another certificate, as it's a different qualification.

So you can't repeat in Jan. You can only start new or finish your GCE.
Reply 2
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
I'm also an international student.

Jan exams are only allowed for students completing their Advanced Levels in that period. If you sit the January exams, I guess you can't sit for any of the GCE exams hereafter.
But you can sit for January exams but it'll be IGCE (International GCE) which is a COMPLETE different qualification to GCE, and you can't MIX and MATCH modules which means you can't do half of this and half of that. And the results will be in another certificate, as it's a different qualification.

So you can't repeat in Jan. You can only start new or finish your GCE.

Are you sure about this? I spoke to the principal of my school and he told me that we are allowed to sit the Jan exams. He didn't say anything about it being a COMPLETE different qualification and that modules cannot be MIXED and MATCHED. Do you think I should write to Edexcel about it?>
Original post by madaboutmambo
Are you sure about this? I spoke to the principal of my school and he told me that we are allowed to sit the Jan exams. He didn't say anything about it being a COMPLETE different qualification and that modules cannot be MIXED and MATCHED. Do you think I should write to Edexcel about it?>

With our current GCE qualification there's no January exams hereafter.
http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press-room/press-releases/Documents/A_level_timeline.pdf

For students who started a two-year A level course in September 2012:
AS examinations are available in January 2013 and June 2013 and June 2014
There will be no AS examinations available in January 2014

A2 examinations are available in January 2013, June 2013 and June 2014
There will be no A2 examinations available in January 2014.

http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press-room/press-releases/Pages/ofqual-a-level-update.aspx

You can ask a question here
http://www.edexcel.com/reforms/Pages/default.aspx

But it'll be better if you can ask British Council in your country about it.
I was told that January 2014 Exams for the current GCE is only allowed for those who are wrapping up their A Levels in January 2014.

Students who must complete their A levels in January 2014

We understand that the removal of the January exam window presents significant problems for students who need to cash in and complete their A levels in January for entry to universities. We’ve been working to address this and we now have a solution that will suit many students who are using the current Edexcel GCE specifications.

All units currently available in January will be available for one final sitting in January 2014. Students can only sit examinations in January 2014 in the subjects where we have an International Advanced level alternative. For all other subjects, exams will only be available in June 2014.

January 2014 examinations, based on the existing Edexcel GCE specifications, will be available in the following subjects:

Mathematics
Science (Biology, Chemistry, Biology) international '100% written exam' specification only
Economics
Business Studies
Accounting

Students can therefore cash in as planned in January 2014 to complete their A level qualification. If this option is taken, please note the following important points:

The specification and assessment remain unchanged, so you should continue to prepare your students for their final January exams in 2014 in the usual way.

Students will be awarded an Edexcel International Advanced Level, regulated by Pearson, instead of an Edexcel GCE A level. This is because Ofqual has confirmed that all regulated A level qualifications can no longer include a January exam series.

All entries for January 2014 must be accompanied by a cash-in code.

Students wishing to complete their Edexcel GCE A levels in June 2014

The solution above has been agreed specifically for students who must complete their course in January 2014. Students planning to complete their A levels in June 2014 will no longer be able to sit an exam in January 2014, but they'll still be able to complete their AS/A level in June 2014 as planned.

http://www.edexcel.com/international/qualifications/Pages/gce-consultation.aspx

So if you are doing Jan exams in 2014 I think you can no longer do GCEs of any kind.

i think you cannot mix and match modules from June 2015 from both the qualifications. You can only chose what qualification you want to do a subject.
Reply 4
if you want to do IAL you'll have to give ALL your exams with IAL-both AS and A2..as mentioned above its a completely different specification
Original post by muf_mur
if you want to do IAL you'll have to give ALL your exams with IAL-both AS and A2..as mentioned above its a completely different specification

Yes you can only chose for each subject if you wanna do IAL or normal GCE, you can't mix and match modules because GCE would be linear in future whereas IAL would not.

BUT if you chose to complete all your GCE exams this January of 2014 (2014 Jan exams are only allowed for those who are completing their ALs) then you would get it as a IAL qualification, which would be not Ofqual certified because Ofqual has cancelled any more Jan exams.
Hey,

So I've heard that we (international students) are allowed to resit Edexcel AS levels (renamed International Advanced levels). Our teacher informed us today that while these exams will be conducted in our school, they will not be 'Ofqual-certified' and that retaking AS modules in June (along with A2 units) would be a much better option as June sessions will be ofqual-approved.
Do you suggest I resit the exams in Jan anyway? Will Unis reject my repeated grades just because they're not Ofqual-approved?

(I did get AAA but my marks are just along the grade boundaries so I think repeating some modules would definitely improve my chances of getting an A or A* at A2 overall. I don't really think I can retake all those modules in June along with the A2 units because of the added pressure :frown: )

We got the same information too at school. We have 2 choices.

1. Forget about January exams and only consider June 2014 exams and get a normal GCE. To do this we should do courseworks and we should have dome coursework at AS. If we have done the International Alternative papers we can't do this option.
2. DO exams in January and June and as you said get an IAL certificate, with the same existing specification.

In the notice it said that universities will do recognize both, but what you saying is true. Your school seems to have got the information early. :colondollar:
Reply 7
We got the same information too at school. We have 2 choices.

1. Forget about January exams and only consider June 2014 exams and get a normal GCE. To do this we should do courseworks and we should have dome coursework at AS. If we have done the International Alternative papers we can't do this option.
2. DO exams in January and June and as you said get an IAL certificate, with the same existing specification.

In the notice it said that universities will do recognize both, but what you saying is true. Your school seems to have got the information early. :colondollar:

HEY :smile: My principal finalized that jan sessions will not be conducted in my school. But we never had courseworks for anything (im doing math chem physics and further math) ...:confused:

Anyways, so I guess its settled then. Gotta study super hard for A2. Good luck to you.
HEY :smile: My principal finalized that jan sessions will not be conducted in my school. But we never had courseworks for anything (im doing math chem physics and further math) ...:confused:

Anyways, so I guess its settled then. Gotta study super hard for A2. Good luck to you.

Then I guess you'll should take IALs.

International Centres

This specification (normal GCE) is only available to centres taking Unit 3 Chemistry Laboratory Skills I and Unit 6 Chemistry Laboratory Skills II.

International centres opting for the alternative written papers in these units must take the International Advanced Level in Chemistry qualification

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/chemistry/Pages/default.aspx

I think you don't need to worry about the level of recognition of IALs

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/ial/Pages/uni-recognition.aspx

From the FAQs

6. Will my students be awarded an Edexcel GCE A level if they sit their final examinations in June 2014?

Yes, in most subjects providing they do not sit exams in January 2014.
The exception is those qualifications that are not available in the UK and therefore not regulated by Ofqual. Students sitting examinations in the subjects listed below will be awarded an Edexcel International Advanced Level qualification instead of an Edexcel GCE A level.
Accounting
Law
Biology, Chemistry, Physics (100% written exam specification)
7. Can students who sat Edexcel GCE unit exams in 2013 switch to an International Advanced Level qualification in order to sit IAL exams in January and June 2014?
Yes, if the student is studying one of the International Advanced Level subjects listed below:
Mathematics
Business Studies
Economics
Accounting
Biology, Chemistry, Physics (100% written exam specification)
Students who have banked completed GCE units until June 2013 will be able to combine these with the new IAL units in January 2014 and June 2014. The student will be awarded an International Advanced Level at the end of the course.

8. Will Edexcel GCE A level Biology, Chemistry and Physics continue to have practical coursework?
Yes. These qualifications will continue to have practical coursework and will now only have examinations in June of each year.

Edexcel GCE A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics with 100% written examination instead of coursework, are being renamed International Advanced Level qualifications. These will have exams in January and June of each year.

So if your school is not doing Jan exams and wants to do the normal GCEs then you'll can't sit the 100% written paper
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Then I guess you'll should take IALs.

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/chemistry/Pages/default.aspx

I think you don't need to worry about the level of recognition of IALs

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/ial/Pages/uni-recognition.aspx

So if your school is not doing Jan exams and wants to do the normal GCEs then you'll can't sit the 100% written paper

Does this mean i have to consider option number 2 which is to sit IALs? (that isnt offered in my school?)
Does this mean i have to consider option number 2 which is to sit IALs? (that isnt offered in my school?)

Yes I guess so. :frown:
Reply 11
So I didn't cash in for my AS Levels.
Can I still switch to IAL?

And can I repeat my GCE Units as IAL in January?
Reply 12
Original post by NilFBosh
So I didn't cash in for my AS Levels.
Can I still switch to IAL?

And can I repeat my GCE Units as IAL in January?

yeah
Does this mean that if I want to retake a module then I will have to take all the other modules in the same subject? For example, if I want to resit C1, do I also have to give C2 and M1?
Original post by AliNSiddiqui
Does this mean that if I want to retake a module then I will have to take all the other modules in the same subject? For example, if I want to resit C1, do I also have to give C2 and M1?

No, you'll have to take C12 only. C12 is a combined unit of C1 and C2.
nOT NECESSARY TO TAKE FULL EXAMS AGAIN DUE TO CHANGE IN IAL.
Only name from GCE is converted to IAL.
mARKS WILL BE MATCHED. fROM GCE & IAL.
i AM DOING jAN 2014 IAL and also did june 2013 GCE.
I got good results for maths. I will complete it on june cos on jan its combined C1 AND C2 (NEW SPEC)
i DONT WANT TO DO THE NEW COMBINED.
Reply 16
Original post by p.thayaparan
nOT NECESSARY TO TAKE FULL EXAMS AGAIN DUE TO CHANGE IN IAL.
Only name from GCE is converted to IAL.
mARKS WILL BE MATCHED. fROM GCE & IAL.
i AM DOING jAN 2014 IAL and also did june 2013 GCE.
I got good results for maths. I will complete it on june cos on jan its combined C1 AND C2 (NEW SPEC)
i DONT WANT TO DO THE NEW COMBINED.

Yes we know :biggrin:

You from Sri Lanka too?
Reply 17
It's not worth resitting really if you got AAA anyway, better to concentrate on doing well in your A2s. Your AS marks aren't going to help you get an A*.
Original post by NilFBosh
Yes we know :biggrin:

You from Sri Lanka too?

Yep. How do u know?
Original post by alow
It's not worth resitting really if you got AAA anyway, better to concentrate on doing well in your A2s. Your AS marks aren't going to help you get an A*.

But still you should get 80% overall so better repeat the modules that can be repeated, and then concentrate on A2. But yeah it may affect your performance in the A* modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending