The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by souktik
Seriously? I can try the ACM without learning to code? Just doing combinatorics and number theory sounds fantastic! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, just figure out the algorithms and let your teammate code it up.

You can check out this, http://2013.nwerc.eu/en/results/problems/ the Northwestern European Regional Contest problem sets. You might be interested in problem C, D, E, F.

Unfortunately Cambridge got into World Final this year. If I get into Oxford, I'll compete next year. :biggrin:

BTW, UK doesn't have any contest similar to Putnam, right? (why would I even ask? :colondollar: I suck at maths anyways)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2141
Original post by hilbert_spaces
Yeah, just figure out the algorithms and let your teammate code it up.

You can check out this, http://2013.nwerc.eu/en/results/problems/ the Northwestern European Regional Contest problem sets. You might be interested in problem C, D, E, F.

Unfortunately Cambridge got into World Final this year. If I get into Oxford, I'll compete next year. :biggrin:

BTW, UK doesn't have any contest similar to Putnam, right? (why would I even ask? :colondollar: I suck at maths anyways)

Actually, I want to know that as well. The Putnam happens to be something I want to participate in pretty badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souktik
Actually, I want to know that as well. The Putnam happens to be something I want to participate in pretty badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't Putnam for American universities?

Edit: Apologies- didn't read your quote.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2143
I did Putnam a couple of weeks ago. It was fun, even if I didn't even understand what some of the questions meant.
Original post by ricraz
I did Putnam a couple of weeks ago. It was fun, even if I didn't even understand what some of the questions meant.

how could you take Putnam?
Reply 2145
Currently at university in America, but applying to go to UK instead.
Original post by ricraz
Currently at university in America, but applying to go to UK instead.

So I guess we are in the same situation? Did your tutor ask you why? I got asked about this for 5 mins...
Anyone surprised by how low the statistics are for this year's MAT exam?

In 2013 the average score on questions 1-5 was:
44.8 (52.1) amongst all applicants;
54.2 (63.0) amongst shortlisted applicants;
60.6 (68.2) amongst successful applicants.
Reply 2148
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Anyone surprised by how low the statistics are for this year's MAT exam?

I'm surprised why someone with 80+ on the MAT got rejected :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Original post by seohyun

Same. In fact, I would have thought 70+ would be enough to get an offer when the average is as low as this year's.

Also, some people that take the test actually get 5 or less?
Original post by seohyun

What? Who?
EDIT: Oh, on the PDF.
Same. In fact, I would have thought 70+ would be enough to get an offer when the average is as low as this year's.

Probably applying for the fun of it. Not that I see the point of it though...
Reply 2152
Original post by seohyun

4 people didn't get an offer with a score of 85+, quite a few more (10-15) didn't get an offer with a score of 80+. I mentioned on the Oxford thread that one perfectly good reason for this is that a lot of the high-flying mathematicians (including a lot of international applicants) whom get 80+ scores are probably also applying to top-Ivies in the USA. It might be the case that if someone gets an offer from a top-Ivy they might withdraw their application from Oxford either before or after interviews, so they wouldn't get an offer from Oxford (and it'd be logged as a rejection). This probably explains 1 or 2 of the 4 people who were rejected with a score of 85+. There are other possible reasons (for example, international qualifications being sub-par, or even not meeting Oxford's standard, might lead to them being rejected despite a good MAT).

Also, the 'rumour' about the 'magic number' on the MAT has always been 90%. Apparently no-one with a 90%+ score has ever been rejected by Oxford themselves, no-one has this year, but I don't know if the rumour is actually true or not. Someone with an MAT score of 80%, but with a very low interview score easily overall falls into the hundreds of applicants with a mediocre combined MAT/interview score, so it isn't really shocking that people with 80-85% have been rejected this year, even considering the fact that the 'average' was lower this year (generally the top 10-20% of the scorers on the MAT are affected less by the difficulty of the MAT paper, compared to the average applicant).
Original post by Noble.
4 people didn't get an offer with a score of 85+, quite a few more (10-15) didn't get an offer with a score of 80+.

I see.

Are the figures you have given inside information or have you worked it out from the graph in the PDF?
Reply 2154
I see.

Are the figures you have given inside information or have you worked it out from the graph in the PDF?

Did a pixel ratio on the graph :lol:
Original post by Noble.
Did a pixel ratio on the graph :lol:

Haha nice :smile:
Reply 2156
Haha nice :smile:

Did you get an offer from Oxford? :smile:
Reply 2157
Original post by Noble.
4 people didn't get an offer with a score of 85+, quite a few more (10-15) didn't get an offer with a score of 80+. I mentioned on the Oxford thread that one perfectly good reason for this is that a lot of the high-flying mathematicians (including a lot of international applicants) whom get 80+ scores are probably also applying to top-Ivies in the USA. It might be the case that if someone gets an offer from a top-Ivy they might withdraw their application from Oxford either before or after interviews, so they wouldn't get an offer from Oxford (and it'd be logged as a rejection). This probably explains 1 or 2 of the 4 people who were rejected with a score of 85+. There are other possible reasons (for example, international qualifications being sub-par, or even not meeting Oxford's standard, might lead to them being rejected despite a good MAT).

Also, the 'rumour' about the 'magic number' on the MAT has always been 90%. Apparently no-one with a 90%+ score has ever been rejected by Oxford themselves, no-one has this year, but I don't know if the rumour is actually true or not. Someone with an MAT score of 80%, but with a very low interview score easily overall falls into the hundreds of applicants with a mediocre combined MAT/interview score, so it isn't really shocking that people with 80-85% have been rejected this year, even considering the fact that the 'average' was lower this year (generally the top 10-20% of the scorers on the MAT are affected less by the difficulty of the MAT paper, compared to the average applicant).

Wait, I thought everyone with 85+ got in? Are you sure that the 4 you're talking about aren't in the 80-85 range? Btw, can you please deduce how many people got 90-95?

Posted from TSR Mobile
rejected. a bit disappointed that I can't experience the Oxford life.

Maybe I shouldn't apply at all, as the tutor said in the interview.

Well, guess I'll just move on. Interning at Google this summer and applying for Ph.D in the next 2 years ...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2159
Original post by hilbert_spaces
rejected. a bit disappointed that I can't experience the Oxford life.

Maybe I shouldn't apply at all, as the tutor said in the interview.

Well, guess I'll just move on. Interning at Google this summer and applying for Ph.D in the next 2 years ...

"Maybe I shouldn't apply at all, as the tutor said in the interview."
Did the tutor actually say that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending