The Student Room Group
Reply 9860
Original post by Dogwithwings
Going to previous comments, the league is between city and manchester united. Only they have the squads to compete. Not only will you lot be miles behind, but you'll also be miles playing dire football :rolleyes:

Hey, you cool man. Tell me more about United competing for the title?
Ain't seen you in a while.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
We should have taken our chances, reminds me of the bayern game although bayern did knock on the door at the end of the match, City didn't create anything in the first half, City just looked like they were playing better as they scored a goal from a weird angle and forced us out.

I'd like to say, with ronaldo, he actually had very good players with him. That 2004-06 team may not have been good as previous sides, but you still had giggs in his prime, Keane was still there around 04, Scholes was there, Van Nistelrooy was up top and you had the emerging Wayne Rooney. Their midfield was much better than it is currently, if they were solely relying on Ronaldo for the creative burden like they do with Januzaj, you would have seen similar performances from him.

Fergie's thinking 'chip off the old block'

Tbh in the Bayern game, we were playing with 10 men for half-an-hour in extra time. Mourinho took Hazard off after he scored, so we couldn't counter attack. The ball would get lobbed up to Luakaku who wouldn't hold onto it. The one or two times we did break forward, he did something stupid. Bayern were going to score eventually (they should've scored earlier tbh) but the sendinng off of Ramires made things extremely difficult and not in our hands.

I remember Ronaldo in his first 2 seasons at Old Trafford. He seemed to be a little inefficient. He had decent pace and was full of tricks, but his end product wasn't as good as Januzaj's is. Not that he wasn't as good, it was more he didn't know his best position and his strongest attributes. It was only after the 2006 World Cup that him and Rooney started interchanging between left wing and centre forward and you saw their potential as a force.

I'm in no way disagreeing with you about United in 04-06. Giggs was just passing his peak although still quick (thought he was at his best from like 24-30), Roy Keane was like 33, but they still had Van Nistelrooy in his prime, with Wayne Rooney emerging. Rio Ferdinand was proving to be a force in defence. United were in transition and it wasn't until 2006 when United bought Vidic and Evra that they actually had a squad to build a title challenge on. The defence was set, Paul Scholes was still putting in performances, while Ronaldo and Rooney were terrorising defences.

Januzaj is in a situation where the team was being held together by Ferguson. You can compare it to our team after we last won the league. Bare bones in midfield after Ballack had left and we were relying on our centre forward to do everything. Lampard would chip in too, but there wasn't much to write home about.
Rumours that PSG are readying an €80m bid for Hazard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Entrepreneur123
Rumours that PSG are readying an €80m bid for Hazard

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL, I'll take that in the summer. Absurd amount of money
Reply 9864
Original post by 9MmBulletz

Doubt this is true, they've supposedly been preparing a bid for Mata for 5 months now. Anyway I see no reason why Hazard would want to leave us unless he was going to Real Madrid and I think eventually they'll come knocking and by then he'll be an even better player and worth more money than this.
Reply 9865

I won't, Hazard has to break the world transfer record, I'll take 110m euros.
I won't, Hazard has to break the world transfer record, I'll take 110m euros.

In January, it has to be around 90-100 million because we can't get a replacement. He won't go. Real Madrid don't really poach our players. We let Robben go there and we nicked Makelele off them 10 years ago.

Who's to say by 2015/16 we won't win the Champions League?

Players generally don't leave us to go to a bigger club. We're like the final stop for players at the top of their careers
Reply 9867
In January, it has to be around 90-100 million because we can't get a replacement. He won't go. Real Madrid don't really poach our players. We let Robben go there and we nicked Makelele off them 10 years ago.

Who's to say by 2015/16 we won't win the Champions League?

Players generally don't leave us to go to a bigger club. We're like the final stop for players at the top of their careers

Yeah, true.

This is the interesting thing though, since we bought many young players, I wonder how long Oscar and Hazard will stay for us? We're planning on building a squad for the next 10 years with those players in. I'm sure that people do sideways moves from time to time at the peak of their careers. Wonder who of our current squad will do that.

I don't think we'll be like Madrid and sell when we're bored though and buy some more players unless their needed.
Yeah, true.

This is the interesting thing though, since we bought many young players, I wonder how long Oscar and Hazard will stay for us? We're planning on building a squad for the next 10 years with those players in. I'm sure that people do sideways moves from time to time at the peak of their careers. Wonder who of our current squad will do that.

I don't think we'll be like Madrid and sell when we're bored though and buy some more players unless their needed.

Mata. Obvs. :lol:
Ugh saw Mata in a Manchester United shirt on one of those Facebook groups..must not happen!
Reply 9870
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Ugh saw Mata in a Manchester United shirt on one of those Facebook groups..must not happen!
Not worried about him going to United tbf, if KDB goes this window (seems to have one foot out the door already) we won't sell Mata too, and I don't think United will make top 4. No incentive for him to go to United without CL and I don't think Mourinho would let him stay in the premier league anyway.

I hope we do our best to accomodate Mata though, still think he has a role to play in our team. But if come summer this hasn't happen I do think he should be sold.
Original post by Nickini
Not worried about him going to United tbf, if KDB goes this window (seems to have one foot out the door already) we won't sell Mata too, and I don't think United will make top 4. No incentive for him to go to United without CL and I don't think Mourinho would let him stay in the premier league anyway.

I hope we do our best to accomodate Mata though, still think he has a role to play in our team. But if come summer this hasn't happen I do think he should be sold.

Agreed!!

As much as I respect mata as a player, we seem to be doing well without him...

Tbh mata needs regular play coz of the World Cup looming ahead, that's why I think he may leave :s-smilie:
There's quite a few strikers who will be in the last year of their contracts come summer, including Benzema and Rooney. Apparently Atletico Madrid still need to sell their players because of debts, and their most prized assets are Koke and Costa, with the latter apparently on his way to England (what I heard from Revista de la Liga from Guillem Balague who seems to have good information).
Reply 9873
There's quite a few strikers who will be in the last year of their contracts come summer, including Benzema and Rooney. Apparently Atletico Madrid still need to sell their players because of debts, and their most prized assets are Koke and Costa, with the latter apparently on his way to England (what I heard from Revista de la Liga from Guillem Balague who seems to have good information).
Yeah, doubt we'll go for a striker this window and don't particularly want us to either considering the lack of options, Mourinho has been pretty adamant we won't too. Wasn't overly keen in the summer but I've warmed to the idea of Rooney, I think he'd almost certainly be available should United fail to make the CL (could be regardless) and we'd be amongst the forerunners to sign him. Rooney/Lukaku/Torres would be fantastic for next season, Rooney could always drop back to allow Lukaku more gametime if needed too.

Failing that I wouldn't mind Mandzukic, Benzema or Costa, although I think they'd be more expensive and less attainable than Rooney, if available at all, Benzema in particular would require a big name joining Real to be available, and even then he could stay. Bayern apparently want to keep Mandzukic too although seeing as Muller and Gotze have made appearances up top/as a false 9 this season I wouldn't be overly surprised if Pep feels Mandzukic surplus to requirements upon Lewandowski's arrival. With Costa having a release clause it would be more a question of whether he wants to leave I think.
Original post by Nickini
Yeah, doubt we'll go for a striker this window and don't particularly want us to either considering the lack of options, Mourinho has been pretty adamant we won't too. Wasn't overly keen in the summer but I've warmed to the idea of Rooney, I think he'd almost certainly be available should United fail to make the CL (could be regardless) and we'd be amongst the forerunners to sign him. Rooney/Lukaku/Torres would be fantastic for next season, Rooney could always drop back to allow Lukaku more gametime if needed too.

Failing that I wouldn't mind Mandzukic, Benzema or Costa, although I think they'd be more expensive and less attainable than Rooney, if available at all, Benzema in particular would require a big name joining Real to be available, and even then he could stay. Bayern apparently want to keep Mandzukic too although seeing as Muller and Gotze have made appearances up top/as a false 9 this season I wouldn't be overly surprised if Pep feels Mandzukic surplus to requirements upon Lewandowski's arrival. With Costa having a release clause it would be more a question of whether he wants to leave I think.

Benezma's contract is up in 2015 and it doesn't look like he's signing a new one, so he'll cost 25-30 million at best. Suarez won't stick around too long with the season he's having and Real will definitely look at him over the summer. Mandzukic won't cost much if Bayern want to sell him.

Atletico have financial problems so will have to sell a few players. Guillem Balague always has inside info on Spanish football as he has good contacts. He knew about Alonso joining Madrid, Mourinho joining Madrid and Aguero leaving Atletico. I trust his info/
Reply 9875
http://www.vavel.com/en/football/premier-league/chelsea-fc/317403-official-kevin-de-bruyne-joins-vfl-wolfsburg.html

Apparently KdB has gone to Wolfsburg on loan. Prefer this tbh. You never know what can happen between now and next season in terms of injuries especially with the World cup as well. Also not completely sure about Schurrle, he needs to be more consistent.

Other rumours are that he's going to be sold for £18mil which is still a good profit for us, although I'd think he'd be worth around £25mil
Reply 9876
Original post by Skkc16
http://www.vavel.com/en/football/premier-league/chelsea-fc/317403-official-kevin-de-bruyne-joins-vfl-wolfsburg.html

Apparently KdB has gone to Wolfsburg on loan. Prefer this tbh. You never know what can happen between now and next season in terms of injuries especially with the World cup as well. Also not completely sure about Schurrle, he needs to be more consistent.

Other rumours are that he's going to be sold for £18mil which is still a good profit for us, although I'd think he'd be worth around £25mil

I think 18m is a very good price for him. He's had a good season for Werder Bremen, but he's not really cut it for us. We get a 200% profit on him and we've had him for 18 months. No doubt he'll prove himself to be 25-30m, but that's at another club.

At least it's not as bad as selling sturridge for 12m anyway.

Although I'd like to ask, where the hell has Wolfsburg found this money from?
Reply 9877
Benezma's contract is up in 2015 and it doesn't look like he's signing a new one, so he'll cost 25-30 million at best. Suarez won't stick around too long with the season he's having and Real will definitely look at him over the summer. Mandzukic won't cost much if Bayern want to sell him.

Atletico have financial problems so will have to sell a few players. Guillem Balague always has inside info on Spanish football as he has good contacts. He knew about Alonso joining Madrid, Mourinho joining Madrid and Aguero leaving Atletico. I trust his info/
Meant more expensive as in costing 30-40m, whereas I think we could get Rooney for potentially 20-30m should United indeed fail to make CL and he forces a move, probably would be better off selling him than paying his £15m wages for another year and having him around sulking before he leaves for free anyway. Plenty of time for Benzema to be offered a new contract which he'd probably accept, and Real won't let him go anyway without a big name coming in; perhaps Falcao or Cavani but I'm not sure why Monaco/PSG would sell them (likewise for us still being linked to both every week). Suarez just signed a new contract, supposedly with a £80m buyout clause if Liverpool don't make the CL and a £100m one if they do. Think he'll push for a move if they don't make CL (in which case Liverpool can hold out for the buyout fee which could potentially stop him going anywhere if Real/whoever won't pay it) but I fancy them to tbh, and if they do I think he'll stick around for at least another season or two. Basically think if United miss out on 4th Rooney will be available, and if Liverpool do potentially Benzema through Suarez moving to Madrid, just need to ensure we're not pipped to the post by Arsenal.

When you said "on his way to England" did you mean literally this window or as in he'll probably come in the summer? Costa supposedly has a £32m buyout fee, would like to see him keep this form up for at least the rest of the season if we were to buy him, and even then I think he's a bit of a **** so wouldn't be too thrilled, although he could potentially be fantastic. Tbf with Balague he comes out with a lot of bull**** for every transfer story he gets right (Drogba was supposedly joining Barcelona a few weeks after joining Shanghai e.g.), guess you could say that for pretty much every pundit/ITK/journo though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Meant more expensive as in costing 30-40m, whereas I think we could get Rooney for potentially 20-30m should United indeed fail to make CL and he forces a move, probably would be better off selling him than paying his £15m wages for another year and having him around sulking before he leaves for free anyway. Plenty of time for Benzema to be offered a new contract which he'd probably accept, and Real won't let him go anyway without a big name coming in; perhaps Falcao or Cavani but I'm not sure why Monaco/PSG would sell them (likewise for us still being linked to both every week). Suarez just signed a new contract, supposedly with a £80m buyout clause if Liverpool don't make the CL and a £100m one if they do. Think he'll push for a move if they don't make CL (in which case Liverpool can hold out for the buyout fee which could potentially stop him going anywhere if Real/whoever won't pay it) but I fancy them to tbh, and if they do I think he'll stick around for at least another season or two. Basically think if United miss out on 4th Rooney will be available, and if Liverpool do potentially Benzema through Suarez moving to Madrid, just need to ensure we're not pipped to the post by Arsenal.

When you said "on his way to England" did you mean literally this window or as in he'll probably come in the summer? Costa supposedly has a £32m buyout fee, would like to see him keep this form up for at least the rest of the season if we were to buy him, and even then I think he's a bit of a **** so wouldn't be too thrilled, although he could potentially be fantastic. Tbf with Balague he comes out with a lot of bull**** for every transfer story he gets right (Drogba was supposedly joining Barcelona a few weeks after joining Shanghai e.g.), guess you could say that for pretty much every pundit/ITK/journo though.

Costa and Koke are going nowhere in January, although Atletico need to sell some of their assets in the summer.

I honestly think there is no way in hell that Suarez is staying at Liverpool if they finish below 4th. And even if they do, Real Madrid always get who they want.
Reply 9879
Costa and Koke are going nowhere in January, although Atletico need to sell some of their assets in the summer.

I honestly think there is no way in hell that Suarez is staying at Liverpool if they finish below 4th. And even if they do, Real Madrid always get who they want.
Yeah I agree, they both have a buyout clause apparently but even if it's met in January I don't think either will leave. Koke is only 21 and apparently wants to stay, don't think he'll move for a few seasons yet.

Yeah Suarez will leave if they miss out on 4th, will Real Madrid be able to buy another player for £80m+ just a year later? Considering they bought not only Bale but Isco and Illarramendi for ~£30m+ just last summer... Suppose the answer is yes considering they could sell Benzema and it is Real Madrid we're talking about :tongue: Tbf if a frontline of Suarez, Ronaldo, Isco and Bale doesn't bring them La Decima I don't think anything will.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest