The Student Room Group

Oxbridge graduates in unemployment...

I feel like in the UK we have this immense belief that if you go to Oxbridge you are immediately set for life and will secure a job straight after graduation.

So, do you know anyone who has graduated from Oxbridge recently and has struggled to find employment? Or is the above belief entirely valid?

Scroll to see replies

Where is this damn Oxbridge? I can't find the University of Oxbridge on any map I've looked at!
Reply 2
Original post by Secretnerd123
I feel like in the UK we have this immense belief that if you go to Oxbridge you are immediately set for life and will secure a job straight after graduation.

So, do you know anyone who has graduated from Oxbridge recently and has struggled to find employment? Or is the above belief entirely valid?

Average undergraduate unemployment rate is 11%, average postgraduate unemployment rate is 4%. I imagine that at least 5% of Oxford undergraduates will be unemployed still. It helps but its naive to think life is written for you once you get that diploma.
Original post by Hippysnake
Where is this damn Oxbridge? I can't find the University of Oxbridge on any map I've looked at!

Oxford and Cambridge :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
Average undergraduate unemployment rate is 11%, average postgraduate unemployment rate is 4%. I imagine that at least 5% of Oxford undergraduates will be unemployed still. It helps but its naive to think life is written for you once you get that diploma.

5% is a pretty big figure there, what makes you think it's as big as 5%? Personally, I'd say at least as little as 2/3%.

If OP is talking about Oxford (excuse my dumbness if correct), then I believe having a highly valued degree from an elite university is a pretty major factor in what employers want - so naturally they might find or make work easier than those who attended not-so-elite universities. That's assuming these geniuses who attended Oxford aren't completely incompetent in people skills, or completely flopped their university career.
(edited 10 years ago)
To be honest from knowing a fair few students who attend "elite" uni's. They are usually minted and don't take life too serious. So being "unemployed" is not really a big thing.
Reply 6
Original post by AdampskiB
5% is a pretty big figure there, what makes you think it's as big as 5%? Personally, I'd say at least as little as 2/3%.

If OP is talking about Oxford (excuse my dumbness if correct), then I believe having a highly valued degree from an elite university is a pretty major factor in what employers want - so naturally they might find or make work easier than those who attended not-so-elite universities. That's assuming these geniuses who attended Oxford aren't completely incompetent in people skills, or completely flopped their university career.

I highly doubt the bonus provided by an Oxford undergraduate degree is worth more than the technical knowledge provided by a Masters.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/DLHE_stu/OverviewofDestinations?:embed=y&:display_count=no 5% looks about right (maybe even a bit low)
Being a Cambridge 4th year I thought I'd know a lot of recent graduates, but off the top of my head the vast majority of my friends are continuing education of some sort. Of the few I can think of who have graduated the only one who isn't in proper work is busy doing things that aren't proper work while trying to get contacts etc.
Original post by Rakas21

Hmm okay

That's interesting, thanks for the link. I would guess we can assume that some of the non-respondants are also unemployed, so at least 6.1% of undergraduates and 5% of post-graduates are not in work or further study. Whilst this is better than the national average, it does show that not every graduate walks straight into a job. That said, the higher quartile salary seemed probably higher than average, so of those who do get jobs, I imagine many of them get good well paying jobs.

I think the question of whether going to Oxford/Cambridge sets you up for life is a bit difficult to answer though. I think it does still have a certain reputation that other universities don't which may be help CVs stand out compared to other similar ones. However, I also think that most students who go to elite universities are pretty driven, and therefore don't just study- spending time in holidays gaining relevent experience, and such.

I do think for most careers now experience is highly valued by employers, and even with a degree from Oxford or Cambridge, if your CV is completely empty, then it is probably hard to secure employment. However, I would imagine that the universities encourage their students to take other oppourtunities and gain experience, so not that many people graduate with a completely empty CV?

I think that for an applicant who is already a good candidate for a job, the degree from a famous university may work in their favour, either securing the job or the higher salary.

However, for those who assume they will walk into a job straight away with no difficulty, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge probably isn't enough.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
I highly doubt the bonus provided by an Oxford undergraduate degree is worth more than the technical knowledge provided by a Masters.

What's an undergraduate degree? :colondollar:

You're right, I was thinking more postgraduate oxbridge vs postgraduate everywhere-else. Masters would indeed likely be more informed than a postgraduate degree.
Reply 12

Definitely interesting, nice share!

You're right, I was thinking more postgraduate oxbridge vs postgraduate everywhere-else. Masters would indeed likely be more informed than a postgraduate degree.

Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that "undergraduate" was the bachelors degree, and "postgraduate" were all the academical qualifications post bachelors.

If this is true, then I don't understand how saying a masters degree is more technical than a postgraduate one, when "postgraduate" simply means masters or Doctorate.

What have I missed?
At the end of the day, no degree will secure a person a job, no matter where it is from. The only reason people tend to attack Oxford and Cambridge for having unemployed graduates is because we all have this expectation. Somehow we equate going to the best universities in this country with career success. The truth is that it can only enhance a person's application. A degree from such excellent institutions will undoubtedly be a help but in no way does it provide a direct entry and allow graduates to pass go. Hard work and experience cannot be substituted.

According to the Oxford prospectus, 6% are unemployed after 6 months.
Reply 16
Technically, you stand more of a chance getting a job with 6 months of graduating from the University of Surrey than Oxford or Cambridge

(I'm guessing salaries would be a little higher too - being near London? Although that's a complete guess!)
Original post by physicso
Technically, you stand more of a chance getting a job with 6 months of graduating from the University of Surrey than Oxford or Cambridge

(I'm guessing salaries would be a little higher too - being near London? Although that's a complete guess!)

Surrey offer placement years - so many graduates will already have work experience AND a contact with a potential employer. http://www.surrey.ac.uk/professionaltraining/what/

Same reason Bath and Aston also have a lot of success in graduates finding work.
Reply 18

Undergraduate is your Bachelors. Postgraduate is a Msc or PHD.

Original post by KingStannis
Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that "undergraduate" was the bachelors degree, and "postgraduate" were all the academical qualifications post bachelors.

If this is true, then I don't understand how saying a masters degree is more technical than a postgraduate one, when "postgraduate" simply means masters or Doctorate.

What have I missed?

You've not, he's just mixed up his wording.
Original post by Secretnerd123

So, do you know anyone who has graduated from Oxbridge recently and has struggled to find employment?

:yep: :hi: :yep:

:ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending