The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Langauge Specification A Edexcel 2014 Examinations

Hello, I'm unsure whether this is the correct place to post this certain question- but I'm sure if it isn't somebody with relevant advice will be able to find the thread. I am studying IGCSE's this academic year, and have a query with English Language Specification A with Edexcel. I am familiar with the examinations and what is required (I was a external candidate some years ago, but didn't finish to take the exam). As I understand, the exam is based around the anthology- now I cannot remember how I had printed the required anthology a few years ago, and am curious to how I will get the anthology in front of me. Can I buy it online- or is it restricted to Edexcel? In the specification there are the titles, and writers' names but not the text itself? Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Nobody replied to my post about iGCSE either! I'm doing English Language specification B edexcel! Are our exams going to be similar? Best thing I've look at is books on amazon about edexcel English iGCSE and some of them let you look inside, so instead of buying it I've read it online!
Reply 3
Original post by Greg182
Nobody replied to my post about iGCSE either! I'm doing English Language specification B edexcel! Are our exams going to be similar? Best thing I've look at is books on amazon about edexcel English iGCSE and some of them let you look inside, so instead of buying it I've read it online!

I think this is because the qualification isn't all that popular. I'm doing the English Language B too. I'm not too sure about the exams, I'm having a complete look into the specification and past papers after the Christmas period; I've managed to loan a textbook with the examples that are used in the anthology for part of the exam- so I'm quite pleased about that! If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose these particular qualifications? And how do you find working through them? :smile:
Reply 4
yeah I guessed that's why! Great stuff, when is your exam? Mine is January 15th! I'm doing it because I only have Grade D in English Language and I'm finally ready to go to university :smile: and I have only just started to study for it but finding it okay so far :smile: what about you?
Reply 5
Original post by Greg182
yeah I guessed that's why! Great stuff, when is your exam? Mine is January 15th! I'm doing it because I only have Grade D in English Language and I'm finally ready to go to university :smile: and I have only just started to study for it but finding it okay so far :smile: what about you?

I have two papers: My first is the 19th May and the second is 22nd. Although I'm yet to pay for them with the further education college I'm sitting them with yet; I'm doing that after Christmas. I've sometimes struggled with the motivation as I'm finding the qualification a little simple, but am Battling through. Generally, it's a great qualification! I am looking forward to next yet when I begin my A Levels- there will be more of a challenge! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Amy. J S
I have two papers: My first is the 19th May and the second is 22nd. Although I'm yet to pay for them with the further education college I'm sitting them with yet; I'm doing that after Christmas. I've sometimes struggled with the motivation as I'm finding the qualification a little simple, but am Battling through. Generally, it's a great qualification! I am looking forward to next yet when I begin my A Levels- there will be more of a challenge! :smile:

Ahh cool! I've paid my admin fee and for this exam! And paying to sit my A levels in the summer! Whats your current situation if you don't mind me asking? Are you studying privately or are you at a college? I'm 21 so avoiding paying for a course as i should be able to get the grades i need without college help and without paying the funds :smile: I'm finding it simple too, but not sure if its meant to be simple or I'm studying the wrong things haha. My exam is in less than a month so luckily for you i can let you know how it is, and if its as easy as it seems :smile:
Reply 7
heya,am just resitin ma english paper coz i had a D ..i really hvnt prepared yet...help me pls
Reply 8
Hey Nish, when are you sitting the exam?
Reply 9
Hi Greg, where are you from?
Reply 10
Worcestershire, you?
Reply 11
hello greg
am from kenya,nairobi
i have my papers on 13th nd 17th jan
it would be really helpfull if we can predict an anthology passage through polls(voting)
thank yu
Reply 12
Original post by Greg182
Worcestershire, you?

From Spain.
Reply 13
Original post by nish48
hello greg
am from kenya,nairobi
i have my papers on 13th nd 17th jan
it would be really helpfull if we can predict an anthology passage through polls(voting)
thank yu

Hi Nish, it can be: Passage to Africa, Chinese Cinderella or Climate change
Reply 14
thank you very much lashi,i really wish these texts appear in the exams...
thank u alot
Reply 15
Original post by nish48
thank you very much lashi,i really wish these texts appear in the exams...
thank u alot

How come you're taking two exams? English iGCSE specification for me consists of one 3 hour long exam :frown:
Reply 16
i hv igcse english spec A which consists of two papers..
Reply 17
Original post by nish48
i hv igcse english spec A which consists of two papers..

Oh of course sorry, my exam is wednesday and is specification B.
I did a draft exam the other morning and got 81% (A*) and I got D in my original English Language so our exams, both A and B shouldn't be too difficult.

I'll let you all know how it goes as I'm sure its not too different to specification A.
Reply 18
Original post by Greg182
I did a draft exam the other morning and got 81% (A*) and I got D in my original English Language so our exams, both A and B shouldn't be too difficult.

I'll let you all know how it goes as I'm sure its not too different to specification A.

yh it is nt a big difference and thnk u
Reply 19
Original post by Greg182

Hi Greg, sorry for not replying before, I was just curious to you mentioning an online mock exam. Can you remember the website- and if so, would you be able to reply with the link? Thank you in advance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending