The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Nabihah
Erm,,No because there's no way that you'll be able to do 8 paragraphs plus the A01 section in alot of detail fully explained and linked in 30 minutes. It's just too much and you'll be rushing to finish. My teacher said 6 points in lesser detail is for those people who want C/D grade. She showed us an example of part of an A* essay. It was 2 paragraphs and worth 8 marks and about 260 words. One paragraph was on reductionism and the other on determinism .if 2 paragraphs could have got 8 marks then 4 paragraphs written well can get full 16 marks if they're written well.

I don't understand how you can use one point and use it in so much detail though? Im aiming for an A and getting around 16-18 marks per essay using that technique.

With the structure I use the first line for saying what the paragraph will be about e.g 'An advantage is the research support' then explain the study and then evaluate the study linking it to the question so whether it backs up the theory or not. How else can you add more detail??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 301
I think it is possible to do eight paragraphs but it varies for each single essay. The exam companion suggests that students should write 8 paragraphs of AO2 with a total of around 400-480 words. That way the essay flows a lot better and you are able to write enough within the 30 minutes while making sure that the essay makes sense. I've been following that rule and so has my teacher. It's difficult sometimes in certain topics to sum up so some of my points tend to be a bit longer. I haven't followed the companion's rule for some of the essays that I have already written so I don't think you have to always follow a certain structure.

As long as you are using the four point rule (identify, provide, evidence, justify and then linking back to the point you are criticising) and you have written a substantial amount (2 pages of AO2 max) then you should be fine.
Reply 302
Original post by Mezzy
I think it is possible to do eight paragraphs but it varies for each single essay. The exam companion suggests that students should write 8 paragraphs of AO2 with a total of around 400-480 words. That way the essay flows a lot better and you are able to write enough within the 30 minutes while making sure that the essay makes sense. I've been following that rule and so has my teacher. It's difficult sometimes in certain topics to sum up so some of my points tend to be a bit longer. I haven't followed the companion's rule for some of the essays that I have already written so I don't think you have to always follow a certain structure.

As long as you are using the four point rule (identify, provide, evidence, justify and then linking back to the point you are criticising) and you have written a substantial amount (2 pages of AO2 max) then you should be fine.

Yeah I agree essays differ, I'm doing sleep&rhythms and for the evolutionary explanation it's proving difficult finding any decent evaluation points really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 303
I personally think 5/6 well written and evaluative a02 is fine to get a good mark. My teacher also mentioned something like 8 and im thinking.... 20-22 minutes to write 8 high quality points?!
Reply 304
Original post by Jkizer
I personally think 5/6 well written and evaluative a02 is fine to get a good mark. My teacher also mentioned something like 8 and im thinking.... 20-22 minutes to write 8 high quality points?!

I was wondering the same. I don't know how you can make 8 high quality points. At the same time I'm not sure writing 8 paragraphs with around 50/60 words each is getting those higher marks but the companion says that it's correct. The companion might not be right but it seems quite good.
Reply 305
Original post by Poppy:)
Yeah I agree essays differ, I'm doing sleep&rhythms and for the evolutionary explanation it's proving difficult finding any decent evaluation points really!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing sleep & rhythms too. I wrote out all possible questions for the topic. The Evolutionary explanation was a bit tricky but I managed to right a 26 mark essay for it. I made one IDA point and the rest were supporting the explanations and two paragraphs were criticising some of the explanations.
Reply 306
Does anyone using The Exam Companion know whether the model answers are all high level answers? Some of the AO2 points are quite small and I'm wondering if anyone else uses their structure.
Reply 307
Original post by Mezzy
I'm doing sleep & rhythms too. I wrote out all possible questions for the topic. The Evolutionary explanation was a bit tricky but I managed to right a 26 mark essay for it. I made one IDA point and the rest were supporting the explanations and two paragraphs were criticising some of the explanations.

26 marks?? Thought the highest you could get was 24? Also I thought you had to have two IDA points to get in the top level for evaluation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 308
26 marks?? Thought the highest you could get was 24? Also I thought you had to have two IDA points to get in the top level for evaluation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry that was a typo. I'm using my iphone at the moment. I meant 24 and you can apparently write a max of 2 IDA points? I don't think it's a strict rule that you have to include 2 IDAs to get higher marks unless I'm wrong?
Reply 309
Original post by Mezzy
Sorry that was a typo. I'm using my iphone at the moment. I meant 24 and you can apparently write a max of 2 IDA points? I don't think it's a strict rule that you have to include 2 IDAs to get higher marks unless I'm wrong?

Oh don't worry, just freaked me out for a sec there thinking we could be asked to write longer essays :wink:

Ohh okay I didn't realise that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 310
Oh don't worry, just freaked me out for a sec there thinking we could be asked to write longer essays :wink:

Ohh okay I didn't realise that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just checked my textbook and it says a good essay should have one or two IDAs maximum.
Reply 311
Original post by Mezzy
I've just checked my textbook and it says a good essay should have one or two IDAs maximum.

Okay that's good to know then, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
Original post by Mezzy

Okay that's good to know then, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't forget you also need research to back those up too for even higher marks :biggrin:

Easy IDA Marks:

General IDA point for evolutionary explanation - Evolutionary explanations are post hoc and therefore lack scientific validity. Since there is no way of researching our evolutionary past, the explanations of human social behaviour are post hoc (made up after the event). Although evolution is a fact, the way in which it shapes behaviour is not all clear and is based on speculation. Since the explanations cannot be verified or falsified, they do not fulfil Popper’s key criteria of what constitutes a science, science must be supported empirically, science must be falsifiable and objective. On this basis the explanations lack scientific validity.

For psychological explanations - they are limited, you could always write they don't take into account other factors e.g. 'Whilst SLT and Bruch’s theory does appear to account well for AN to some extent. These explanations are not able to account for the significant biological differences that are seen in anorexics. In order to fully understand AN it is important to consider biological factors such as neurotransmitters. For example...'

Also for evolutionary explanations - same as above you say they are limited and they don't take into account psychological factors e.g. 'Whilst genetic vulnerability may have evolved there is however considerable evidence to suggests other approaches play a significant role of aetiology of AN. For example....'

For genetic explanations oversimplifies complex causes of anything - e.g. 'Genetic theory of aggression is an example of biological reductionism it oversimplifies the complex causes of aggression and could be explained as well or better by another approach such as SLT social factors like modelling also contribute to Aggression. It is also an example of biological genetic determinism and suggests that we are at the mercy of our biology we have no free will to decide whether to behave in an aggressive way or not which clearly is not true. It is clear that genetics alone cannot cause aggressive behaviours - genes do increase the risk of aggression, but perhaps only when combined with environmental risk factors suggesting a diathesis of nature (genes) and Nurture (environment).

(edited 10 years ago)
Can you use the description of a study as AO1? If so, how do you go about this because in recent essays my teacher always marks my descriptions of studies as AO2... Also if we're just using a study as AO2 do we need to go in much detail for the studies or is a quick summary sufficient, eg "Bandura's bobo doll study showed children who witnessed an aggressive role model were more likely to show aggression themselves".

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 314
Do that mean that my teacher is completely wrong in saying we only need 4 AO2 points?? I am so confused:confused:
Reply 315
Original post by LeaX
Can you use the description of a study as AO1? If so, how do you go about this because in recent essays my teacher always marks my descriptions of studies as AO2... Also if we're just using a study as AO2 do we need to go in much detail for the studies or is a quick summary sufficient, eg "Bandura's bobo doll study showed children who witnessed an aggressive role model were more likely to show aggression themselves".

Thank you. :smile:

You only need the findings of a study as that's the most important past. If you just write the study that's classed as AO1 but if you say "A supporting study is..." then that's classed as AO2
Reply 316
I hate relationships I wish we did sleep or perception :mad:
Reply 317
Mocks mean little more than something to motivate you imo.
I got a U in my AS mock and came out with 100% in the real thing so don't let mocks stress you out too much (got a D in my mock this year haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 318
Starting relationship topic tomorrow. Apparently a very straight forward topic that can be done fairly quickly.... But are the essays difficult? o.O
Does anyone do aggression using the AQA textbook? For genetics the textbook is rubbish. I've been using other resources for my notes but my teacher wants us to only use the book for our mock and there is literally no AO1 points for genetics. It just says that Court-Brown said XYY males are best hospitalised due to aggression and then lists research and none of the research is in sufficient detail to bring that up to my AO1 either. Anyone else having this problem?

Latest

Trending

Trending