The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Religious Studies at Edinburgh!

Helllllo, I'm applying for 2014 entry to edinburgh for religious studies and I'm quite stuck between aberdeen/edinburgh, so assuming i get into both, i'll need to decide :frown: I was hoping some people could help by telling me religious studies at edinburgh is :smile: or just how edinburgh life in general is, please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I've applied to do Religious Studies at Edinburgh too :smile: Although I don't live there, I found their youtube videos to be really helpful, it provided a great idea about the school and they have some great videos for the night life too :3
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
hello to you both!

Ive just graduated from Edinburgh in religious studies (july 2013), so feel free to ask me any questions you want!

In terms of between edinburgh/aberdeen, Edinburgh has a much more prestigious reputation overall - although Aberdeen is still a respectable and old university, and especially strong in religious studies. I would say most people would rank an edinburgh degree over an aberdeen one though.

If you fire me some more specific questions i would be more than happy to help,

joe
Reply 3
Original post by Joseph_90
hello to you both!

Ive just graduated from Edinburgh in religious studies (july 2013), so feel free to ask me any questions you want!

In terms of between edinburgh/aberdeen, Edinburgh has a much more prestigious reputation overall - although Aberdeen is still a respectable and old university, and especially strong in religious studies. I would say most people would rank an edinburgh degree over an aberdeen one though.

If you fire me some more specific questions i would be more than happy to help,

joe

I am also applying for religious studies and I am curious as to the grades. Do you mind saying what grades you got and do you know of anyone who has the minimum requirement?
Reply 4
Hi there,

No don't mind at all. I got straight A's across the board. (They hadn't introduced A* grades then, back in 2008)

I know of some people who got AAB, and i know the university take a 'holistic' approach to applications i.e they factor in what type of school you went to, and your references etc etc, but the bottom line is simple; better grades = better chances.

Of course if you're an AAB or an ABB what do you have to lose by applying? go for it anyway and make your application stand out in other ways.

Though competition is tough, it's one of the hardest to get into (as it is 17th in the world) and Religious Studies is one of the stronger departments.

Hope this helps,
Hi, are you Scottish?:smile: it's hard to find Scottish people applying to theological stuff. I've not had any offers yet but I applied to theology, philosophy and theology and divinity and classics, did you apply to any?:smile:
Reply 6
I'm a current final year Theology student at Edinburgh (but concentration is on Religious Studies and World Christianity). So I'm happy to answer any questions you might have...
Original post by kalidurga
I'm a current final year Theology student at Edinburgh (but concentration is on Religious Studies and World Christianity). So I'm happy to answer any questions you might have...

Hi!!:smile: I'm really intrigued! I applied for theology and I have always wondered ... Are the people in your year really religious? I'm not *that* religious so I'm not sure what to expect. Also, what are you doing after your degree? Lots of people say the prospects aren't very good so could you give any examples of what people are going into?:biggrin: thanks!!!
Reply 8
There are some religious people (and a very small few candidates in training for the ministry on the BD Divinity, but they would be in some of your courses), but I don't find it to be a prerequisite at all. I actually went on the exchange to India they offer for third years where I lived at a seminary even though I am not religious. There are some religious-y things at New College, but it is pretty balanced actually. I wouldn't worry about it! I know I did though, so I totally understand.

I'm going on to do a Masters of Science in Global Health and Public Policy. Some people I know are going into Teach First, others have stayed at New College to do further study or are going elsewhere for further study, and others I know went traveling after graduating. Since I've not graduated yet I'm not sure exactly what we'll all end up doing!
There are some religious people (and a very small few candidates in training for the ministry on the BD Divinity, but they would be in some of your courses), but I don't find it to be a prerequisite at all. I actually went on the exchange to India they offer for third years where I lived at a seminary even though I am not religious. There are some religious-y things at New College, but it is pretty balanced actually. I wouldn't worry about it! I know I did though, so I totally understand.

I'm going on to do a Masters of Science in Global Health and Public Policy. Some people I know are going into Teach First, others have stayed at New College to do further study or are going elsewhere for further study, and others I know went traveling after graduating. Since I've not graduated yet I'm not sure exactly what we'll all end up doing!

Thanks for your answer, really appreciate it:smile: thanks for your insight, and going to India sounds awesome! And oh your masters sounds really interesting, hope you really enjoy it:smile:

Are the staff nice? And is the course good overall in your opinion?:smile:
Reply 10
The staff are great - absolutely fab. I think they're New College's greatest asset. What are your particular interests? There are great people in every corner!
Reply 11
Also, I loved the course! It's really great in my opinion. It's flexible so it allowed me to do Biblical Studies/World Christianity my first two years, but then I realised I was more interested in Religious Studies after going on exchange and I was able to swap out Biblical Studies for it in my final year. So I really like how it let me make the decisions about what I was interested instead of being too structured.
Also, I loved the course! It's really great in my opinion. It's flexible so it allowed me to do Biblical Studies/World Christianity my first two years, but then I realised I was more interested in Religious Studies after going on exchange and I was able to swap out Biblical Studies for it in my final year. So I really like how it let me make the decisions about what I was interested instead of being too structured.

Sounds awesome! Good to hear about the staff,was scAred they'd be scary :tongue: I've applied for theology, theology and philosophy and classics and divinity. Is it like Glasgow where you do three subjects in first year then you can change? Like if someone did theology philosophy English they could change to just English later on? I ask because I had to pick between theology and English lit - kinda worried ill regret my choice. Although, hopefully not!!:smile:
Reply 13
I don't see why not! Though I don't have any experience with that...
Original post by Faye__1996
Hi!!:smile: I'm really intrigued! I applied for theology and I have always wondered ... Are the people in your year really religious? I'm not *that* religious so I'm not sure what to expect. Also, what are you doing after your degree? Lots of people say the prospects aren't very good so could you give any examples of what people are going into?:biggrin: thanks!!!

If I get an offer from Edinburgh, I'm planning to take theology as an outside subject (either that or philosophy) and I'm an anti-theist; so I'm about as anti-religious as you can get. :tongue: I still find it fascinating though. I'm sure there'll be a good number of atheist, or even mildly religious people, studying theology. Someone in my school got into Oxford for theology and he was an atheist.
Original post by Dylankj96
If I get an offer from Edinburgh, I'm planning to take theology as an outside subject (either that or philosophy) and I'm an anti-theist; so I'm about as anti-religious as you can get. :tongue: I still find it fascinating though. I'm sure there'll be a good number of atheist, or even mildly religious people, studying theology. Someone in my school got into Oxford for theology and he was an atheist.

Hi!:smile: I saw on your profile you're a Scottish applicant? :smile: it's pretty hard finding people interested in theo/phil in Scotland from my experiences :s-smilie: :biggrin: what have you applied for? And wow - Theology at Oxford is amazing!
Hi!:smile: I saw on your profile you're a Scottish applicant? :smile: it's pretty hard finding people interested in theo/phil in Scotland from my experiences :s-smilie: :biggrin: what have you applied for? And wow - Theology at Oxford is amazing!

Yeah, Scottish applicant here. I know what you mean, in my experiences it's pretty hard finding many people for most courses at the University of Edinburgh from Scotland. :tongue: I applied for Music, but I might switch to English Lit if I can (I'll be doing that as one of my subjects). I know, that guy was so smart. They've started giving out offers, and even more rejections, for my course now on Friday from what I can tell so hopefully I'll hear back sometime this week.
Yeah, Scottish applicant here. I know what you mean, in my experiences it's pretty hard finding many people for most courses at the University of Edinburgh from Scotland. :tongue: I applied for Music, but I might switch to English Lit if I can (I'll be doing that as one of my subjects). I know, that guy was so smart. They've started giving out offers, and even more rejections, for my course now on Friday from what I can tell so hopefully I'll hear back sometime this week.

Hahaha woooo, and yeah I know! Aw that's cool you say that because I actually would like to switch to English lit as well! Hoping I get an unconditional for theology etc then they hopefully let me. Or at least English lit and religious studies. Aw good luck!!:smile: are you in S6 now?:tongue:
Hahaha woooo, and yeah I know! Aw that's cool you say that because I actually would like to switch to English lit as well! Hoping I get an unconditional for theology etc then they hopefully let me. Or at least English lit and religious studies. Aw good luck!!:smile: are you in S6 now?:tongue:

I'm not too sure yet, but I think we can change our subjects so here's hoping! :smile: I just love the university so much, it's definitely my first choice but I've got an unconditional for Newcastle University as a back-up. Yeah, currently in S6 and, as oppose to most people, finding this the hardest year in my entire school career! haha What subjects are you doing this year?
I'm not too sure yet, but I think we can change our subjects so here's hoping! :smile: I just love the university so much, it's definitely my first choice but I've got an unconditional for Newcastle University as a back-up. Yeah, currently in S6 and, as oppose to most people, finding this the hardest year in my entire school career! haha What subjects are you doing this year?

yeah I don't see why not! :smile: yeah I love the uni and the city ... It just feels really welcoming and exciting! Aw well done on your offer :biggrin: aw same, and aw my year is a skive lol! Only doing advanced higher RMPS and higher art, you?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending