The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsfanatic123
Haha I agree though, I dislike bio, when you say you are dropping it as in for next year or now? Wait, so are you doing 6 a levels?

Dropping it after AS.

History AS I have as well, but yeah.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Dropping it after AS.

History AS I have as well, but yeah.

So you are doing 7,cool! I am assuming some are self-taught, which ones are or have you done some as's already? Is your school supportive?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Ooh that sounds really interesting, is it nearby? I'll give you the details of the lab if you want, although it's a vet one so I doubt it would be interested. There's a bio lab right next to the farm actually, but I looked on the website and they only take relatives of staff for work experience :/

It's turned to **** :frown: .

The manager moved back to Ireland as he couldn't afford flights back every fortnight, and it's been downhill from there. The member of staff who was responsible for the animals on lower farm left (she was thinking of applying to be a vet nurse long before the manager left, but when staffing changes were happening animal welfare standards started to slip and she got upset and pissed off by this (and rightly so, I was too)). Now the animals down there just don't get cleaned out any more during the week, they sit in their **** and piss all week until the volunteers can come in at the weekend. That's bad enough, but I also really dislike the new managers. One of them is always trying to undermine the volunteers. We led ponies all summer, but now she doesn't trust us at all. Last time I went she said that being led by me was like 'being in a torture chamber' (verbatim) because I wasn't speaking, probably because I couldn't get a ****ing word in edgeways. Fair enough what she's saying, but I've been there over a year now and I've learned to use my judgement; some children are very young or very shy or do not speak English; it isn't always appropriate to chat. I don't appreciate being patronised by someone who doesn't even know the names of the ****ing animals. Oh yeah, the new managers are also sending the foal away unless his owner trains him for three hours per day (he's not even one year old, train him to do what, exactly). I'm royally pissed off and every time I think about the place I want to ****ing cry. I used to love it so much and now it is a hell hole, both for me and the animals forced to live there.

So yeah, I do still go there occasionally but I'm trying to pluck up the courage to say that they've broken the camel's back now. The only thing keeping me going is the animals, 'cause if the vols don't go they literally don't get cleaned out, but it's not healthy for me to be stressing out so much over a place I used to regard as my second home :frown:

Yh I'm alright, me and animals do not go well together :P I might try that lab anyways as they might take people on from my school

That is honestly disgusting :frown: such a shame , I'm glad you still go occasionally though. Hope things start to improve soon! Have you said anything to whoever is in charge about the conditions ?
So you are doing 7,cool! I am assuming some are self-taught, which ones are or have you done some as's already? Is your school supportive?

self taught maths a2 and history as, they're done.

Doing 4 AS this year, then dropping bio and French and doing f.maths A2 in class... And self teach French a2.

And new school, but I guess so!
self taught maths a2 and history as, they're done.

Doing 4 AS this year, then dropping bio and French and doing f.maths A2 in class... And self teach French a2.

And new school, but I guess so!

I'm in awe:colondollar:!! So what will do next year if you are pretty much done now, or are you applying for uni this year? How do you find the time/motivation, or are you a child prodigy?
I'm in awe:colondollar:!! So what will do next year if you are pretty much done now, or are you applying for uni this year? How do you find the time/motivation, or are you a child prodigy?

Why?:lol: I didn't get an A* or anything :tongue:

No next year f.maths, chem, physics and French A2:colone:
Why?:lol: I didn't get an A* or anything :tongue:

No next year f.maths, chem, physics and French A2:colone:

What grades have you got so far, what do you want to study? I'm starting think you are a child genius:adore:
What grades have you got so far, what do you want to study? I'm starting think you are a child genius:adore:

:rofl: I'm not!

My profile has gcses...

Average for a level maths is 89.6 or something due to poo C2 C3 and M1. 're doing C3 hopefully bring average up a lot
Nah, you'll be fine ^_^ To be honest I don't expect to get the lab place either but if you don't ask, you don't get right? I'm determined to make the most of this summer, it's going to be put to good use :yep:

If you won't say where then what sort of industry is it in? :smile:

You still looking to use the Nuffield Foundation? :biggrin:
Original post by sarahiscool
Yh I'm alright, me and animals do not go well together :P I might try that lab anyways as they might take people on from my school

That is honestly disgusting :frown: such a shame , I'm glad you still go occasionally though. Hope things start to improve soon! Have you said anything to whoever is in charge about the conditions ?

No, the people now in charge are the people that I can't stand :frown: . It's been flagged up but lack of staff is blamed (hire some people then??? and while you're at it you could start paying the people that you do employ the minimum wage at least)

Original post by MangoFreak
You still looking to use the Nuffield Foundation? :biggrin:

Nah, I was keen but I dislike the fact that you have to spend six weeks at the same place so I'm trying to organise my own placements. How about you?
New member coming through, hollllla
Nah, I was keen but I dislike the fact that you have to spend six weeks at the same place so I'm trying to organise my own placements. How about you?

I don't really see the problem with that, so yeah I'm kind of hopeful for it :smile:

A bit disappointed I won't have someone else doing it to discuss it with now :tongue:
I don't really see the problem with that, so yeah I'm kind of hopeful for it :smile:

A bit disappointed I won't have someone else doing it to discuss it with now :tongue:

Ahh noooo, sorry for the abandonment :tongue: . Thing is, I still have no bloody idea what I want to do with my life so I'm trying to aim for variety as well as quantity when it comes to work experience. Much though I'd love to spend six weeks at a lab, I'm also trying to do other things. It's a shame that the scheme isn't offered to people finishing year 13, I'd totally do it then if it were.

Where are you hoping to go? :smile:
Ahh noooo, sorry for the abandonment :tongue: . Thing is, I still have no bloody idea what I want to do with my life so I'm trying to aim for variety as well as quantity when it comes to work experience. Much though I'd love to spend six weeks at a lab, I'm also trying to do other things. It's a shame that the scheme isn't offered to people finishing year 13, I'd totally do it then if it were.

Where are you hoping to go? :smile:

No idea, that's why I let them help me :lol:

If it's actually six weeks I might not be able to do it, I have to go back to see family in Oz at some point :tongue:
No idea, that's why I let them help me :lol:

If it's actually six weeks I might not be able to do it, I have to go back to see family in Oz at some point :tongue:

It might not actually be that much. I haven't checked the page in about a year so don't take that as gospel :tongue:

EDIT: Just checked, six weeks is the maximum :smile:

Nuffield Research Placements is a UK-wide scheme giving students a chance to work alongside professional scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians for 4 - 6 weeks over the summer holidays.

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/information-applicants
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7935
OTE=Galileo Galilei;45879228]I had economics

How did you find it? Any tips? Any help will be greatly appreciated.:smile:
Reply 7936
Well that's all the mocks over. C1/C2 paper went by far the best, M1 I managed to miss a whole question on even though I could actually solve it (go me!), Physics was okay...

However chemistry today I think I spent more time trying to decide where to draw Walter White on the paper than actually answering questions :redface:
I have also finished my mocks. Had maths C1 both yesterday and today. I had Chemistry and Biology as well today. I was sooo tired when i was doing my last paper.

Now i am free for one week then intense revision for june exams.:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone here going to make a revision timetable or are you just going to do little bits here and there where you feel necessary?
Original post by jellie88
I'm doing M1 at the moment :smile: what other modules are you doing this year?

So sorry for replying late again ermm just D1 and M1 - I don't do FP1 until A2 alongside FP2 and others :')

Latest