The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eco94
Emailed UCL and they said they do not require my UMS? I did not put them down in UCAS.

Maybe they were put in your reference or maybe they only ask some people (they didn't ask me for UMS either :tongue:).
Reply 2741
Ahaa no I'm not an international student. Thanks for your advice I'm sure UCL will come
Original post by RebelV005
Are you an international student?
Because they only offer AAA to International students.

And considering London vs Nottingham, London obviously has a huge benefit for obvious reasons. I have also applied to UCL, but waiting for a reply :frown:.

UCL will undoubtedly be my first choice mainly because of its location
Original post by Jupperrs
Aha awesome, first person with same applications as me.

To be honest, overall, Nottingham just edges it on reputation for me. However I wonder whether the fact that its in the business school instead of the Economics department takes that advantage away somewhat. They're both very close on the league tables, and will both be very decent universities. If I could switch to straight econ when I arrived, I would take Nottingham I think, however I'm not sure whether that would be possible or not, so for that reason I'm inclined (at the moment) to pick York, as it would offer more flexibility in the modules each year.

What grades have you got? (AS/Predicted?)

Yeah, I think I'll just wait until I visit both unis on their applicant days and speak to current IE students at Notts. I sort of messed up my exams and ended up with BBCC (with mitigating circumstances blah blah blah) in Maths, Bio, Chem and Psychology haha. And yours? I'm predicted AAB now though, so I guess it's okay.

Also, I applied to Edinburgh for straight Econ and if I get an offer, I'll be considering firming there. I've heard its reputation and contacts are really good for a career in the city. The only thing is, most offers they give out are BBB (?) with requirements being AAA. Weird.

What other unis/courses did you apply for?
Reply 2743
Original post by LeBron96
Yeah, I think I'll just wait until I visit both unis on their applicant days and speak to current IE students at Notts. I sort of messed up my exams and ended up with BBCC (with mitigating circumstances blah blah blah) in Maths, Bio, Chem and Psychology haha. And yours? I'm predicted AAB now though, so I guess it's okay.

Also, I applied to Edinburgh for straight Econ and if I get an offer, I'll be considering firming there. I've heard its reputation and contacts are really good for a career in the city. The only thing is, most offers they give out are BBB (?) with requirements being AAA. Weird.

What other unis/courses did you apply for?

Umm ive applied for...

Southampton, Exeter and Leicester

Ive got offers from all except Exeter
Reply 2744
Got offers from Surrey (2nd on the Charts according to the guardian), York, Queen Mary, Kent and Lancaster.

Stuck on which one to firm between Surrey and York, any suggestion. What one that can give me good contacts.
Original post by ahmad94
Got offers from Surrey (2nd on the Charts according to the guardian), York, Queen Mary, Kent and Lancaster.

Stuck on which one to firm between Surrey and York, any suggestion. What one that can give me good contacts.

If you think you have a top tier university in Surrey then you are sorely mistaken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2746
Original post by JOR2010
If you think you have a top tier university in Surrey then you are sorely mistaken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?

I thought Surrey was up there as one of the best of economics. According to all the ranking anyway. PLus it is close to london so I thought it would benefit me.

Can you expand further.
Reply 2747
Pretty sure they're not in my reference. I'm getting worried, applied in October. Haven't heard a thing from ucl...
Original post by purplemind
Maybe they were put in your reference or maybe they only ask some people (they didn't ask me for UMS either :tongue:).
Original post by eco94
Pretty sure they're not in my reference. I'm getting worried, applied in October. Haven't heard a thing from ucl...

Don't worry, I don't have an offer from UCL either... good things come to those who wait :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahmad94
Really?

I thought Surrey was up there as one of the best of economics. According to all the ranking anyway. PLus it is close to london so I thought it would benefit me.

Can you expand further.

Don't pay attention to the guardian university rankings. The complete university guide is much more reputable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eco94

I have heard nothing from them too and so have many people, don't worry. :smile:
Yeah, the university didn't look all that academic when I visited.

It's great if you want to have a good time, and apparently the placement isn't too bad (as long as you get in early and are near the top of your cohort at the end of year one).

But it was a little disconcerting that they only referenced the guardian leauge table, which most know is a bit of a joke.

Essentially:

Go for York if you want a good education, go for Surrey if you want a good time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2752
Seems like most people have applied to UCL lol. Hope they handout a large majority their offers soon.
I'd be looking to firm UCL/Bristol or Bath. Whichever I get an offer from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahmad94
Really?

Can you expand further.

Take any rankings you see with a pinch of salt.
I got my EPQ result today which was an A*! :biggrin:

Do I need to email the universities which haven't given me an offer yet to let them know, or do they get all results through like on results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
(Original post by eco94)
Don't worry, I don't have an offer from UCL either... good things come to those who wait

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Don't worry, I don't have an offer from UCL either... good things come to those who wait :smile:

Lets hope we'll have good news on the UCL front soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jupperrs
Umm ive applied for...

Southampton, Exeter and Leicester

Ive got offers from all except Exeter

Congrats man, isn't Exeter A*AA/AAA?
Original post by Pro Crastination
I'm emailing back and forth with their admissions tutor at the moment. Two weeks until a final decision, apparently.

ah ok that's good! hopefully i should hear back within a couple of weeks too. it'll be a shame if they give me an A*AA offer, nothing's going to make me change Bath for Nottingham :tongue:
Original post by Bloxorus
I got my EPQ result today which was an A*! :biggrin:

Do I need to email the universities which haven't given me an offer yet to let them know, or do they get all results through like on results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats mate that's amazing! i got my result too, it was an A :smile:

and i've been wondering the same thing - i presume the Universities will get the result on results day as our EPQ co-ordinator hasn't mentioned anything about sending the result to them.
Original post by Fas
ah ok that's good! hopefully i should hear back within a couple of weeks too. it'll be a shame if they give me an A*AA offer, nothing's going to make me change Bath for Nottingham :tongue:

Haha, yeah.

I'd still feel like I'd achieved a lot if I made it into the Nottingham economics course (through insurance). Whereas, I'd feel as if I'd let myself down if I only made it to York/Birmingham - seeing as I probably could have got offers from them with a lot lower AS grades, A2 predictions, GCSEs and extra-curriculars.

I shouldn't be in that mindset. Both York and Birmingham, according to my friends, are amazing universities. I guess you only ever see greener grass on the other side. Ah well. Hopefully Nottingham can rescue me.

(Fas I hope you are aware we are in direct competition for an offer right now, by the way. May the best economist win :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending