The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So, do you think he's in denial about the seriousness of his brother's illness?

It's sad that all of this is happening right now, but at least he's positive about having kids at some point down the line. Hopefully you'll be able to convince him satisfactorily that now isn't the right time.

(My boyfriend's aunt has been diagnosed with cancer in the past few months. It's not a great time for all of this to be happening, but it seemed like after a few months of trying giving up would have been too disappointing.)

Yeah definitely in denial - we were shopping before & he was looking at things in the post-Christmas sale and saying "oh I might pick up that now and give it to him next Christmas" that's 12 months away.. but he doesn't get it. Possibly all will be fine and I'm being the most pessimistic person ever, but as I said it's not looking great.

I had managed to convince him it was a good idea before all this happened, as he finally opened up to me about his worries (which were ridiculous and very easy to talk though) so that helped me understand a bit more. Typical that as soon as he agrees something happens.. although I will just deal with it as it would be pretty selfish to put any focus on me right now!

Sorry to hear about your aunt - I hope she pulls through and makes a full recovery. If you've been trying for months then that's understandable, for us it was pretty much a week before we got the news so putting a halt on it wasn't really a big deal!
About your boyfriend's aunt, sorry.
Yeah definitely in denial - we were shopping before & he was looking at things in the post-Christmas sale and saying "oh I might pick up that now and give it to him next Christmas" that's 12 months away.. but he doesn't get it. Possibly all will be fine and I'm being the most pessimistic person ever, but as I said it's not looking great.

I had managed to convince him it was a good idea before all this happened, as he finally opened up to me about his worries (which were ridiculous and very easy to talk though) so that helped me understand a bit more. Typical that as soon as he agrees something happens.. although I will just deal with it as it would be pretty selfish to put any focus on me right now!

Sorry to hear about your aunt - I hope she pulls through and makes a full recovery. If you've been trying for months then that's understandable, for us it was pretty much a week before we got the news so putting a halt on it wasn't really a big deal!

It's looking like she won't - when they found the cancer it had already spread from her pancreas to her liver, and I think the prognosis for pancreatic cancer is typically not great. We're doing okay, though, and she seems in good enough spirits.

I hope your boyfriend's brother pulls through, or at least that your boyfriend comes to term with the situation sometime. It's not great timing, but I guess you've just got to be patient.
It's looking like she won't - when they found the cancer it had already spread from her pancreas to her liver, and I think the prognosis for pancreatic cancer is typically not great. We're doing okay, though, and she seems in good enough spirits.

I hope your boyfriend's brother pulls through, or at least that your boyfriend comes to term with the situation sometime. It's not great timing, but I guess you've just got to be patient.

Sorry to hear that. It's so unfair sometimes isn't it. I hope he does too - but even if he does we still have a long road of treatment, hospital stays etc ahead, so he's going to have to get his head around it sometime. Then whenever he mentions doing something (he's planning his birthday and in the past he'd gone for a night away somewhere with his brother and he's thinking about where to go in April) he doesn't understand that he's not going to be well enough, even if it's just because of the treatment in the best case scenario.

Either way, I have everything crossed, but hope it all turns out fine and I'll be able to use this thread for its proper purpose when he gets the all clear!
I've had my period this month and it was shorter and lighter than it has been, I had a copper coil fitted a few months ago and I assumed it was my body adjusting to it and thought nothing of it. However the last few days I've been feeling very tired, nauseous (although haven't actually been sick), my boobs have been feeling very strange and Ive been feeling a bit odd in general. Could this be a sign of pregnancy?
I've had my period this month and it was shorter and lighter than it has been, I had a copper coil fitted a few months ago and I assumed it was my body adjusting to it and thought nothing of it. However the last few days I've been feeling very tired, nauseous (although haven't actually been sick), my boobs have been feeling very strange and Ive been feeling a bit odd in general. Could this be a sign of pregnancy?

The best thing to do is take a test to put your mind at ease. It's unlikely but you never know for sure unless you check :smile:.
This seems updated a lot more than other threads. I think I may be pregnant or perhaps naive. According to my period checker (which is always on time with regards to periods). I ovulated on 25th December, I had sex on 28th. Could I pregnant? Certain things online say 24-48hrs but others say 72hours. Stressed. I have brown mucus discharge which I never have.
This seems updated a lot more than other threads. I think I may be pregnant or perhaps naive. According to my period checker (which is always on time with regards to periods). I ovulated on 25th December, I had sex on 28th. Could I pregnant? Certain things online say 24-48hrs but others say 72hours. Stressed. I have brown mucus discharge which I never have.

Well it's not impossible. I didn't think I was ovulating at all when I conceived Nathan. According to my calculations I was nowhere near ovulation time. Apparently my body thought otherwise.

Try not to panic though.

Best way of knowing is obviously taking a test on the day your period would be next due.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Well it's not impossible. I didn't think I was ovulating at all when I conceived Nathan. According to my calculations I was nowhere near ovulation time. Apparently my body thought otherwise.

Try not to panic though.

Best way of knowing is obviously taking a test on the day your period would be next due.

Can I just cry then? Ugh, I couldn't sleep at all last night and haven't ate or drank anything either. Is it likely though? I took a tesco test today because I read online they were accurate up to two days - in the package it says day of missed period fml - it was negative though. My period is due tomorrow

Try not to panic though.

I am sorry to be that poster who quotes you multiple times but I will.
I took a first response test - my period is due tomorrow. The test professes 99% accuracy if it is two days before period is due. Am I able to sigh relief yet?
Honestly I've never used first responses. I only used the ones which work from the first day a period would be due, so I'm not sure how accurate the first responses are (though if the cost is anything to go by, they must be pretty decent tests. They're not cheap!)

If it's giving you a negative, AND you didn't have sex when you think you would have ovulated, then the chances are pretty high that you're not pregnant I'd say.
If you're unsure but don't want to waste money on more tests, you can buy *good* cheap tests on eBay - I picked up a 20-pack for £3.55 and they're sensitive to 10mcg and are apparently the same ones that the NHS use - pretty good.

In other news, I saw my GP and have made an appointment with the midwife. Despite the fact that I've missed two periods and nobody knows when I'm due, they've booked me in for a scan in February, which means that I will be either 16 weeks along or 12 weeks along - so hopefully the latter?

I am having fairly bad abdominal cramps atm, which seem to get worse when I lie down, and tbh I have considered phoning up NHS 24 about this, though there is an element of me wondering whether I can kill two birds with one stone - if they give me a scan to make sure everything's OK, I can put my mind at ease about the pains *and* ideally have it confirmed vaguely how far along I am. I don't know!
Hmm, I'm somewhat concerned. When are you supposed to have your first appointment with a midwife? Mine is not booked until the week I will be either 11 weeks or 15 weeks along already, and I would have expected that it would be earlier than that... is this perfectly normal?
Went to the hospital with reduced movement yesterday but thankfully spud is fine :smile: Got my 25 week midwife appointment Tuesday, my GTT on Wednesday and consultant appointment the week after that. From then on it's blood pressure checks every two weeks. Also got my Anti-D injection on the 14th Feb, where exactly do they inject you with that one?

Hmm, I'm somewhat concerned. When are you supposed to have your first appointment with a midwife? Mine is not booked until the week I will be either 11 weeks or 15 weeks along already, and I would have expected that it would be earlier than that... is this perfectly normal?

It should definitely be done before then... is that your booking in or your initial appointment to arrange your booking-in? My booking in was done at 11 weeks and the midwife commented that the surgery had left it a bit late as they needed to schedule the 12 week scan. If there's a chance you'll be 15 weeks gone before you've even seen the midwife for the first time, you definitely need to get in touch and tell them; there are certain tests they can only do before 15 weeks.
Original post by madders94

It should definitely be done before then... is that your booking in or your initial appointment to arrange your booking-in? My booking in was done at 11 weeks and the midwife commented that the surgery had left it a bit late as they needed to schedule the 12 week scan. If there's a chance you'll be 15 weeks gone before you've even seen the midwife for the first time, you definitely need to get in touch and tell them; there are certain tests they can only do before 15 weeks.

Thanks - I phoned them up again and they sound ridiculously busy at the moment; there are no scan appointments earlier than the 12th Feb and I got the only booking appointment before the 6th Feb - which is now next week. She said I should see what the midwife says and ask if the midwife can test how far along I am by taking blood, which might help a little. At least I'm seeing someone sooner than February!

Symptoms-wise, maybe you guys can tell me whether I sound more like I'm 7 weeks or 11 weeks along; I'm tired, I've been having headaches and sinus pain, I'm stiff all over, my tummy hurts basically ALL THE TIME, and my nipples sting like the devil, particularly when it's cold.

In other moans, my partner is being unsympathetic and it's pissing me off. I think he thought that being pregnant was meant to be fun and - his phrase - would have me 'glowing' with health. HA HA HA.
Thanks - I phoned them up again and they sound ridiculously busy at the moment; there are no scan appointments earlier than the 12th Feb and I got the only booking appointment before the 6th Feb - which is now next week. She said I should see what the midwife says and ask if the midwife can test how far along I am by taking blood, which might help a little. At least I'm seeing someone sooner than February!

Symptoms-wise, maybe you guys can tell me whether I sound more like I'm 7 weeks or 11 weeks along; I'm tired, I've been having headaches and sinus pain, I'm stiff all over, my tummy hurts basically ALL THE TIME, and my nipples sting like the devil, particularly when it's cold.

In other moans, my partner is being unsympathetic and it's pissing me off. I think he thought that being pregnant was meant to be fun and - his phrase - would have me 'glowing' with health. HA HA HA.

Unfortunately you can't really tell from symptoms how far along you are as they sound like general first trimester rubbishness. The only thing would be when you started to experience symptoms? If it was more than three weeks ago that might lend itself more to 11 weeks.

The blood test could add something but at this stage is unlikely to add much. by the time you are 7 weeks levels are very high and very variable that it would be tricky to work out how pregnant you from that.

I'm not sure what to suggest really :s-smilie:
4 days late. It may be stress, probably is. I am sometimes one or two days late but this is unusual for me, it's only ever happened a handful of times.

Very much not wanting to test because I don't want to know either way.

If I am, it's not the right time. If I'm not, I'd be gutted. Can't win!

[We stopped trying just under a month ago due to partner's brother's illness looking as though it will take over for a while, but I knew there was a slight chance I could be, and that I'd have to wait until now just to make absolutely sure. It shouldn't have happened because it was nowhere near ovulation. Or when ovulation SHOULD be anyway.]

I'm just going to go and hide and hope it shows up. I think disappointment is better than the alternative at this point. I think.

Although of course if I am he/she would be welcomed with open arms..
Honestly I've never used first responses. I only used the ones which work from the first day a period would be due, so I'm not sure how accurate the first responses are (though if the cost is anything to go by, they must be pretty decent tests. They're not cheap!)

If it's giving you a negative, AND you didn't have sex when you think you would have ovulated, then the chances are pretty high that you're not pregnant I'd say.

Sorry to be highly obnoxious but I took a test (admittedly a tesco one) today and got a negative result. Can I effectively be sure this is absolutely correct? :s-smilie:
Sorry to be highly obnoxious but I took a test (admittedly a tesco one) today and got a negative result. Can I effectively be sure this is absolutely correct? :s-smilie:

No, it's not impossible to get false negatives. If there isn't enough hcg in your urine it could show up as a negative.
False positives however are another matter. It's kind of impossible to get a true false positive if the test has been done correctly and isn't faulty, it's not an evap line.

It's not likely that you'd have a false negative, but it is a small possibility.

I'd try not to worry though to be honest, it doesn't really sound like you're pregnant.

(I used a tesco test when I was pregnant with Nathan and it gave me a very hefty positive)
(edited 10 years ago)
Happy 6 months to my little Nathan <3

Quick Reply

Latest