The Student Room Group

why are some people in relationships unfaithful?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's very simple. People cheat in order to gain some form of gratification that they're not getting in their current relationship.

I kinda dislike how 'trendy' it is to cheat right now.

I wouldn't cheat on my fella, obvious reasons aside, because it would be dishonouring myself. It's never classy and always has some underlying desperation to it.

Sure, I feel attracted to other guys sometimes. But push come shove, if a hot guy was puttin' the moves on me, all I'd have to do is tell him I'm spoken for. He carries on? Then he's insulting my boyfriend, messin' with my team, and therefore inadvertently insulting my judgement too, as I'm the one choosing to be committed to my boyfriend.

That would just pith me off, in the same way that anyone insulting my boyfriend would pith me off.

You stand by the guy you're with. Everybody knows that!
I don't know. I don't consider myself a bad person, I'm truthful and lovely in many ways, but I have cheated. I've fancied another guy whilst in a relationship. Admittedly my relationship was falling apart. I guess instead of trying to save it I took the easy way out. Me and this guy flirted a lot, we admitted our feelings for each other, we kissed, decided we shouldn't again till we're single, but we still continued to hang out a lot, flirting.

There's no excuse for cheating, it's never OK, but I can say 100% that falling for someone else whilst you're taken is completely out of your control and it happens. I guess sometimes we make the mistake of acting on it, which is unforgivable.
Cheating is horrible. Not only in a physical way but also emotional cheating would be hard for me to ever forgive. If you aren't happy with the person that you're with, then why are you in a relationship with them!?

I've only been cheated on by 1 guy but it was multiple times. Being protective over phones etc is definitely a strong sign!
Everyone I've ever dated has been open with me. I don't check their phones constantly because that's just invading massive privacy which I wouldn't like done to me but the option is there to look, they haven't been over protective. Being protective over a phone is going to spark curiosity. 1 guy was so jumpy about leaving their phone lying about or leaving their facebook on their laptop etc, he was the cheater funnily enough. It would definitely be alarm bells for me in the future.
I always said I would never cheat etc, but I did. My relationship was so unhealthy and controlling and I knew I had to end it, just didn't man up and do it. Went out with friends, few too many, kissed my best friend. Felt like a complete ****, broke up with the ex the next day. He was devastated despite the fact he'd treated me like **** for the last 3 years, I didn't tell him about the kiss. Sometimes you don't need to be a complete bitch to do the right thing.

I felt (and still do tbh) bloody awful about what I did.
Boyfriend was angry and selfish. I met someone I liked more but didn't have the immediate courage to break away from routine.
It's our biological instinct
I'm one to say that cheating is definitely not on (unless it is agreed upon between two consenting adults and they want an open relationship)

There is no reason why, if you're in a good, healthy relationship, to cheat. If it's not working out, you break up and then you can move on and do things with someone else. I don't even know why so many people debate about this. It's heartbreaking and as I've said, it's not on.
Time goes on and people lose interest. Things you don't see at first you begin to see later on and it grows weary on the person, until they had enough. Boredom, sexier things or even feeling peckish are common things for affairs even though they sound stupid.

Half of the people on this thread may even go through a phase like this whether they doubt it themselves or not - it is unavoidable, because we aren't perfect living saints. Far from it.
Reply 48
Since I first posted this a lot has happened!

We are no longer together.

I discovered he was having a relationship behind my back. Thats more than just cheating.

He was also seeing two other girls.

I cut my losses with that one.
Original post by A5ko
That's not a valid excuse.

I've been completely wrecked and never lost control of how I feel or what I'm doing.

Maybe you weren't as wrecked as you think
Reply 50
because they can
Reply 51
Original post by ScarlettFever

I discovered he was having a relationship behind my back. Thats more than just cheating.

:angry: Did you slap him? Or find any way to knock sense into him?!

If not, I volunteer to do the deed! :tongue:
Reply 52
I don't believe all people who are unfaithful actually intend to be unfaithful, I think feelings can change and situations may arise that they weren't initially expecting to happen. People change over time, I'm not condoning cheating but I don't believe in "Once a cheater, always a cheater".

That being said, I genuinely don't understand why people don't just tell their significant other that they aren't happy and things aren't working out - Yeah it won't be nice but it'll be a lot better than the horrible feeling of "was it my fault? or what have they got that I haven't?"
Reply 53
Humans aren't meant to be monogamous
Reply 54
Original post by Ceryni
:angry: Did you slap him? Or find any way to knock sense into him?!

If not, I volunteer to do the deed! :tongue:

I just packed a bag and went without saying a word.

Fortunately I know someone who has trouble keeping housemates but for some reason I manage to get on really well with her. Im settled now.

I think about him all the time but I haven't spoken to him since the day he left. He gave me a peck on the cheek before he left for work and that was the last time I saw him.

That was 2 months ago.
Original post by staceykimb
Posted from TSR Mobile

If he/she won't let you look at their phone...or they're very protective of it then be aware. This could be an early sign.

It's not always a sign.

I don't like my boyfriend looking at my phone - not because I'm cheating, because I never would! - but because I've got a calorie counting app on there that I don't want him to find, and he knows I have a problem with food and weight :colondollar:
Original post by snowyowl
It's not always a sign.

I don't like my boyfriend looking at my phone - not because I'm cheating, because I never would! - but because I've got a calorie counting app on there that I don't want him to find, and he knows I have a problem with food and weight :colondollar:

No, but it certainly means you have something to hide - for a lot of people that something may be cheating!
Flirting isn't cheating!
Reply 58
Original post by ScarlettFever

Ahh blimey, sorry to hear that. And thanks for coming back to update us all.

Out of interest, it's been 2 months, have you been seeing someone else since?
I really don't understand why people cheat and stay with the partner they're cheating on - and that's speaking as someone who's been having an affair with someone in a relationship for a year and a half. :/

If you cheat, you can't love, respect, or truly care for the partner you're cheating on - and if it's a long-term affair, the person you're cheating with is obviously giving you something you need and want that your partner can't give you. So what's the point in staying with that partner, other than them being a safety blanket?

So yeah, even as someone involved in an affair (though I'd never cheat on anyone myself), I don't get it. I don't see why you wouldn't just end it with the person who's obviously not enough for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending