The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL WBI04 ~ 10th Jan 2014 ~ Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For the mitosis for T helper cell part what did you guys write?
And that last Q had something to do with splicing right?
Reply 21
Original post by Diana.A

Original post by Chinensis8
A Massacre for those who aren't retaking Unit 1 and 2. It was completely different from the previous papers!!

yeah but who ill remember unit 1 and 2 xD

I know right? Like yeah, during my free time I like to go back and re-learn everything from AS(!)
This was Bull....
Were you guys able to finish the paper? I didn't have time to finish the fluid mosaic membrane one. :/
They should have warned us or something! It was more Unit 1 and 2 than unit 4!
At least the grade boundaries for bio is usually low, right?
did you guys know that synoptic stuff would come up? i was under the impression that it would be strictly unit 4 stuff.
the past years' papers didn't show that pattern right?
Reply 24
Original post by appleorange909
Were you guys able to finish the paper? I didn't have time to finish the fluid mosaic membrane one. :/

It was unit 124 tbh :mad:

I too had time constraints...:frown:

Boundaries are usually low, but only International students did this paper, and even from them only a few like us did the paper. I feel boundaries will be stupidly high.

Btw did anyone else get the GPP calculation as 19.8 %? Some of my friends got 40ish %.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Relaxedexams

Boundaries are usually low, but only International students did this paper, and even from them only a few like us did the paper. I feel boundaries will be stupidly high.

Btw did anyone else get the GPP calculation as 19.8 %? Some of my friends got 40ish %.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 16.5%.... My class had mixed results. Some had 19.8 and others 80%

did you guys know that synoptic stuff would come up? i was under the impression that it would be strictly unit 4 stuff.

Even in the new specification there has been no changes! They didn't say anything about mixing that many Unit1&2 Qs [which were supposed to be in detail].

I think the grade boundaries this time will be pretty high unfortunately :frown::angry:
Since there were so little of us. Some of my classmates who are taking unit 1 & 2 did really well.

I feel like they did this on purpose. -.-
Reply 26
Original post by Relaxedexams

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 16.5%.... My class had mixed results. Some had 19.8 and others 80%

Even in the new specification there has been no changes! They didn't say anything about mixing that many Unit1&2 Qs [which were supposed to be in detail].

I think the grade boundaries this time will be pretty high unfortunately :frown::angry:
Since there were so little of us. Some of my classmates who are taking unit 1 & 2 did really well.

I feel like they did this on purpose. -.-
I got 80-something %. I added the two values in the next trophic level and divided it by the previous one's value.

I checked the new specs and it did mention something about unit 4 and 5 being synoptic, but you would hardly notice it unless you specifically searched for the word. This is so unfair.

How did other students find the paper? I think I might have to re-take the paper to get an A if the grade boundaries are high. :/
Reply 28
I got 80-something %. I added the two values in the next trophic level and divided it by the previous one's value.

I checked the new specs and it did mention something about unit 4 and 5 being synoptic, but you would hardly notice it unless you specifically searched for the word. This is so unfair.

How did other students find the paper? I think I might have to re-take the paper to get an A if the grade boundaries are high. :/

I didn't see that at all :eek: They should say such things instead of saying on the web that it is of the same context. Ppl misunderstand in foreign countries ...
My whole school went ballistic after the exam. And then we just became depressed and angry. So safe to say they did bad.

Yours?
(edited 10 years ago)
So happy to hear that you ALL felt it was horrible...hopefully the grade boundaries would be low. :biggrin:

What did you guys write for that experiment?..I didn't have time.:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't see that at all :eek: They should say such things instead of saying on the web that it is of the same context. Ppl misunderstand in foreign countries ...
My whole school went ballistic after the exam. And then we just became depressed and angry. So safe to say they did bad.

Yours?

I didn't notice it either, i just thought it would be the same syllabus and pattern as always. I had to specifically search the whole thing for "synoptic" and they just briefly stated it in like a sentence or two. It's like they WANT us to fail.
Everyone here said the same thing too, that they barely finished and that it was all from previous units. Everyone was equally depressed.
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
So happy to hear that you ALL felt it was horrible...hopefully the grade boundaries would be low. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah yeah, i too am glad we all feel equally bad! :tongue:

As for the experiment, i wrote it in a hurry. Just the usual stuff, controlling variables like the source of the eggs to minimize genetic variations. Then keeping the eggs on some sort of nutrient medium like agar jelly and incubating them at different temperatures. Then observe and measure the amount of time for each stage and plot results in a graph. Analyse using a statistical test. That's just what I think though.
please correct me if i'm wrong :smile:
Reply 32

Posted from TSR Mobile

Place 40 eggs in one plate. Count them by using magnifying glass. Place the eggs and control the temperature in the incubator. Calculate the time for each egg to hatch. Repeat 5 times and then repeat with different stages. Dependant var: number of eggs hatched Independant: temp.
Things to be kept constant are source of eggs, incubator machine, time since eggs are laid, same species.

Hahah yeah, i too am glad we all feel equally bad! :tongue:

As for the experiment, i wrote it in a hurry. Just the usual stuff, controlling variables like the source of the eggs to minimize genetic variations. Then keeping the eggs on some sort of nutrient medium like agar jelly and incubating them at different temperatures. Then observe and measure the amount of time for each stage and plot results in a graph. Analyse using a statistical test. That's just what I think though.
please correct me if i'm wrong :smile:

Seems a lot smarter than what i wrote o.O
(edited 10 years ago)
Place 40 eggs in one plate. Count them by using magnifying glass. Place the eggs and control the temperature in the incubator. Calculate the time for each egg to hatch. Repeat 5 times and then repeat with different stages. Dependant var: number of eggs hatched Independant: temp.
Things to be kept constant are source of eggs, incubator machine, time since eggs are laid, same species.

But you got to repeat the same thing for each stage but at different temperatures right? :/

At least you wrote something..I didnt have time to write anything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems a lot smarter than what i wrote o.O

That's the brine shrimp experiment right? I wrote that because they asked to check the length of time in each stage. Also, yours looks pretty good too. Our methods are different, I just made it sound fancy and wrote agar jelly. :P

But you got to repeat the same thing for each stage but at different temperatures right? :/

At least you wrote something..I didnt have time to write anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: you don't have to repeat for each stage right? Just incubate the eggs at different temperatures and observe it. You can measure the length of time for each stage in one go. Then you can repeat the experiment at each temperature and average for reliability.
And I couldn't finish 7 marks worth of questions either. The fluid mosaic thing and some stuff here and there. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
For those doing chemistry too should expect a lot of synoptic :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup for physics too. How are you preparing for chemistry 4? I'm completely lost now. :confused: Past papers don't have the same pattern anymore.
Reply 37
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Especially organic chem...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah..i am going to go through the AS work thoroughly. Focusing on isomerism, nomenclature , the entire organic thing and most importantly mass and IR spectrum.

Also polarisation, born Haber and theorotical lattice energies are a pain in the neck. :frown: There's always a question on this :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending