The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
But I thought all languages get that status during "pillow talk" ;D

:yep: De meeste mensen vinden Frans 'romantisch' en Nederlands 'lelijk' !

I need to work on my sarcasm skills :bigsmile:

Lelijk?
Original post by super_kawaii
Lelijk?

Sie finden es so hässlich wie eine 'Halskrankheit' !
Aber natürlich bin ich nicht damit einverstanden! Meiner Meinung nach ist die nierländische Sprache wirklich wunderschön! :grin:
Sie finden es so hässlich wie eine 'Halskrankheit' !
Aber natürlich bin ich nicht damit einverstanden! Meiner Meinung nach ist die nierländische Sprache wirklich wunderschön! :grin:

Ja, Niederländisch gefällt mir so sehr! Ich stimme zu, dass es wirklich wunderschön ist, besonders wenn er es spricht. :love: Naja, ich sag immer zu viel. Es ist klar, dass ich verliebt bin, nicht? :colondollar: :love:

Du kannst klar Deustch, Englisch und Niederländisch. Kannst du andere Sprachen?
Original post by super_kawaii
Ja, Niederländisch gefällt mir so sehr! Ich stimme zu, dass es wirklich wunderschön ist, besonders wenn er es spricht. :love: Naja, ich sag immer zu viel. Es ist klar, dass ich verliebt bin, nicht? :colondollar: :love:

Du kannst klar Deustch, Englisch und Niederländisch. Kannst du andere Sprachen?

Du machst mich so eifersüchtig! hahah Es ist tatsächlich klar und das ist wirklich wunderschön! :wink:

Was du sagst, ist Blödsinn. Es gibt keine Sprache, die ich klar sprechen kann, aber danke! :wink: hahahah
Ich komme ursprunglich aus West Afrika :smile:
Du machst mich so eifersüchtig! hahah Es ist tatsächlich klar und das ist wirklich wunderschön! :wink:

Was du sagst, ist Blödsinn. Es gibt keine Sprache, die ich klar sprechen kann, aber danke! :wink: hahahah
Ich komme ursprunglich aus West Afrika :smile:

Nee, du lugst, dein Deutsch ist echt gut!

Aus welchem Land kommst du denn? Ich hab gedacht, dass du aus den Niederlanden kommst aber eigentlich nicht!

Ja, ich vermisse ihn so sehr aber er hat gesagt, dass er Sheffield (mein Unistat) besuchen will also freu ich mich sehr darauf! :love:
Reply 9625
This is probably a bit silly, but could someone explain how the verb piacere (to like) works in Italian? We were only really taught 'mi piace ......' in school, so when I went over present tense verbs on Duolingo I was confused :rolleyes:
Original post by EmyJ14
This is probably a bit silly, but could someone explain how the verb piacere (to like) works in Italian? We were only really taught 'mi piace ......' in school, so when I went over present tense verbs on Duolingo I was confused :rolleyes:

It's reflexive.

To please/pleasure oneself

It agrees with the actual thing you're talking about :smile:

(I think)

Same as spanish and me gusto
Reply 9627
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's reflexive.

(I think)

Thanks. :smile:

I only did KS3 Spanish so that wouldn't be any help :tongue:
Reply 9628
Original post by EmyJ14

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's reflexive.

(I think)

Gustar is not reflexive (and neither is piacere I think). I like is me gusta, not me gusto. Literally it means it is pleasing to me. It is like how you use plaire and say il me plaît in French.

P.S. Emy, it will be better to think of piacere as pleasing to somebody rather than like. Mi piace means it is pleasing to me. Gli piacciono gli orologi means the watches please him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys! I'm doing OCR French AS and my mock is next week. Was just wondering if anyone has some advice they can give me on how to revise or any good resources? Thanks in advance :smile:!
Reply 9630
Original post by AquisM
Gustar is not reflexive (and neither is piacere I think). I like is me gusta, not me gusto. Literally it means it is pleasing to me. It is like how you use plaire and say il me plaît in French.

P.S. Emy, it will be better to think of piacere as pleasing to somebody rather than like. Mi piace means it is pleasing to me. Gli piacciono gli orologi means the watches please him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, so 's'il vous plaît' is literally 'if it pleases you'? Never knew that :tongue:

That makes sense! I do remember my teacher saying something about mi piace being it pleases me, now you mention it! :biggrin:
Original post by EmyJ14
Thanks. :smile:

I only did KS3 Spanish so that wouldn't be any help :tongue:

Okay, ignore me. Not reflexive, but it happens to you.

Original post by AquisM
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ****, yeah.
Reply 9632
Original post by EmyJ14
Oh, so 's'il vous plaît' is literally 'if it pleases you'? Never knew that :tongue:

That makes sense! I do remember my teacher saying something about mi piace being it pleases me, now you mention it! :biggrin:

Yes that's what it literally means! :tongue: If you remember it that way, you won't get confused about what is the subject and object of piacere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
Yes that's what it literally means! :tongue: If you remember it that way, you won't get confused about what is the subject and object of piacere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So why do you say the subject after the object?

Should it not be...

*the dogs* mi piacciano ?
Reply 9634
So why do you say the subject after the object?

Should it not be...

*the dogs* mi piacciano ?

To be honest, I have no idea. Even in Spanish we say me gustan los perros. I guess it's just how it's said and it wouldn't feel right the other way. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmyJ14

''Oh, so 's'il vous plaît' is literally 'if it pleases you'? Never knew that :tongue:'' - Seriously.... That's year 7 French. Oh dear.
Original post by AquisM
To be honest, I have no idea. Even in Spanish we say me gustan los perros. I guess it's just how it's said and it wouldn't feel right the other way. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I wonder why!
Hi guys!

There is a well-known song in French which sounds wonderful. Unfortunately I don't understand the French language (some members in this thread know that, am I right? :biggrin:). Nevertheless I want to understand the lyrics, so I need help again in translation. I need a French speaker who has good knowledges in French. Anyone who want to help me?
Original post by Kallisto
Hi guys!

There is a well-known song in French which sounds wonderful. Unfortunately I don't understand the French language (some members in this thread know that, am I right? :biggrin:). Nevertheless I want to understand the lyrics, so I need help again in translation. I need a French speaker who has good knowledges in French. Anyone who want to help me?

Seriously Google Translate will do a good enough job!
Seriously Google Translate will do a good enough job!

I was testing google translator and what I got were pieces of words which are formed to a bad syntax. In other words: I don't understand the lyrics. Such experiences are the reason why I am looking for helpful members.

Latest

Trending

Trending