The Student Room Group

how do you understand something? read desc

this many sound like a stupid question at first but i am just curious i just want to see some of your answers and view of actually understanding academic material. :smile: what does it mean to understand something, how do you know that you have understood something? surely to be able to understand something you need to remember it
Reply 1
If you can explain it to someone, and then they can then explain it to you, then you have understood it...
Reply 2
Original post by TheGameOfScience
this many sound like a stupid question at first but i am just curious i just want to see some of your answers and view of actually understanding academic material. :smile: what does it mean to understand something, how do you know that you have understood something? surely to be able to understand something you need to remember it

If you understand something then I think you should be able to apply it to other unfamiliar situations with ease (I discovered that doing biology a level!) I suppose remembering it is important too, but definitely being able to take it out of a familiar context would enable me to know I truly understand it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="TajwarC;45930392"]If you can explain it to someone, and then they can then explain it to you, then you have understood it...[/QUOTE

what makes you understand it though, isnt just explaining it to someone just passing on your knowledge? how do we understand? xD:biggrin:
Reply 4
It happens a lot in maths and physics, you're given knowledge but then you need to apply it for example I could make a statement but understanding it would be saying why it happens... I'm stuck for an example at the moment
Original post by Molly648
If you understand something then I think you should be able to apply it to other unfamiliar situations with ease (I discovered that doing biology a level!) I suppose remembering it is important too, but definitely being able to take it out of a familiar context would enable me to know I truly understand it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a good point i do bio a level too i do ocr spec which is so markscheme specific, but why is it so hard to understand things, in biology its so difficult because even if you do understand it when your revising without exam practice you wont do that well
Original post by TajwarC
It happens a lot in maths and physics, you're given knowledge but then you need to apply it for example I could make a statement but understanding it would be saying why it happens... I'm stuck for an example at the moment

thats true, but if your saying why it happens isnt that just recalling the information?
Reply 7
Original post by TheGameOfScience
thats true, but if your saying why it happens isnt that just recalling the information?

Recalling information literally repeating something you've been told. Saying why it happens requires you to calculate something (in maths for example) or predict what will happen given you do something. Sorry if this sounds a bit crap it's late LOL
Original post by TajwarC
Recalling information literally repeating something you've been told. Saying why it happens requires you to calculate something (in maths for example) or predict what will happen given you do something. Sorry if this sounds a bit crap it's late LOL

LOOOOL its ok it is really late lol, i get what you mean though good answer bro :biggrin: so would you say that people have different understandings

Quick Reply

Latest