The Student Room Group

Cambridge or LSE for Law?

Hello everyone,

I am currently in Year 13 and have applied to study Law at university. I currently hold offers from Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Exeter, and am waiting on UCL. The problem is, I'm stuck. I was ecstatic to receive my Cambridge offer; it has been my dream to attend the university from when I was in secondary school. However, the ubiquitous metaphoric conflict between the heart and the brain has never been more prevalent in my life than in the making of this decision. As such, I have turned to TSR for the first time in pursuit of advice and guidance. I know stats can only ever tell us so much, but overall I think few would attempt to argue that the LSE is a more academically renowned institution than Cambridge. However, for my course, that argument becomes far more balanced; Law is after all, a social science. The most recent league tables (from The Guardian, The Complete University Guide, and the QS Global Rankings) for Law place Cambridge above LSE, despite LSE's higher scores for the quality of research. As you can probably tell, there's a whole heap of information out there and I'm not too sure what to do. I live in London, so would live out if attending Cambridge and stay at home if attending LSE. My heart says Cambridge, yet my brain is torn and is causing confusion. This is after all one of the most important decisions of my life. In the future I hope to go on to work in the City, in either a Magic Circle law firm or in some other career in the financial sector. Prior to that, the dream would be to study for the MSc in Law and Finance at Oxford.

All in all, if you can make your way through the messy paragraph I just wrote which effectively demonstrates my confusion, please offer some advice. Guidance from current Cambridge and/or LSE undergraduates, especially those that study Law, would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Firstly Congrats :smile:

For Law its Cambridge all the way :smile:

LSE is great and extremely prestigious but in Law Oxford and Cambridge are simply the best.

(That is assuming you want to practice law)
Reply 2
Original post by MichaelMaq
Hello everyone,

I am currently in Year 13 and have applied to study Law at university. I currently hold offers from Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and Exeter, and am waiting on UCL. The problem is, I'm stuck. I was ecstatic to receive my Cambridge offer; it has been my dream to attend the university from when I was in secondary school. However, the ubiquitous metaphoric conflict between the heart and the brain has never been more prevalent in my life than in the making of this decision. As such, I have turned to TSR for the first time in pursuit of advice and guidance. I know stats can only ever tell us so much, but overall I think few would attempt to argue that the LSE is a more academically renowned institution than Cambridge. However, for my course, that argument becomes far more balanced; Law is after all, a social science. The most recent league tables (from The Guardian, The Complete University Guide, and the QS Global Rankings) for Law place Cambridge above LSE, despite LSE's higher scores for the quality of research. As you can probably tell, there's a whole heap of information out there and I'm not too sure what to do. I live in London, so would live out if attending Cambridge and stay at home if attending LSE. My heart says Cambridge, yet my brain is torn and is causing confusion. This is after all one of the most important decisions of my life. In the future I hope to go on to work in the City, in either a Magic Circle law firm or in some other career in the financial sector. Prior to that, the dream would be to study for the MSc in Law and Finance at Oxford.

All in all, if you can make your way through the messy paragraph I just wrote which effectively demonstrates my confusion, please offer some advice. Guidance from current Cambridge and/or LSE undergraduates, especially those that study Law, would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Without the doubt your answer is Cambridge. You live in London in the first place so by going to Cambridge you will get to experience both a small city and a big city. Cambridge is world renowned, you only have to drop the name. LSE is also world renowned and it is great that you have offers from 2 great schools, but Cambridge is simply the best.
Reply 3
LSE might be better in terms of finding a job after graduation or at least it shouldn't make any difference but you will receive a much better teaching at Cambridge. They are both amazing universities but how can you reject an offer from Cambridge (my heart says)? I was rejected from Oxford and had to firm LSE but my heart can never accept this. The experience is far more amazing in Oxbridge, with their collegiate system and tradition, than LSE. You won't have the most amazing campus life there. You will only go to uni to attend lectures then go back home. The social life isn't good in LSE but I don't think it would be much better at cambridge. And there are lots of international students-it is a very international environment overall.
But, on the other hand, don't be tricked by the name of a university. You should go and visit LSE to see if you like it. Also, read the course structure and find out about the teaching system. You will be expected to work 30-40 hours a week there while in LSE its probably 20-30 hours. Also, there is an emphasis on oral argument in Cam and you should see whether that suits you.
You are being a little ungrateful here. Do you know how many people would kill to go Oxbridge? If you were rejected like me, you would never ask that question. I wouldn't reject Cambridge for LSE.
I'd definitely say to go for Cambridge over LSE for law.

As you say, Cambridge has the better reputation for law, and it's the more prestigious institution. Also, I think it would be good for you to go to Cambridge, thus giving you a chance to live away from home for some time, as you say you'll live at home if you remain in London.
Reply 5
Original post by Kutta
Firstly Congrats :smile:

For Law its Cambridge all the way :smile:

LSE is great and extremely prestigious but in Law Oxford and Cambridge are simply the best.

(That is assuming you want to practice law)

Thank you for your advice! And it's certainly a career I'm considering.

Original post by ukmed108
Without the doubt your answer is Cambridge. You live in London in the first place so by going to Cambridge you will get to experience both a small city and a big city. Cambridge is world renowned, you only have to drop the name. LSE is also world renowned and it is great that you have offers from 2 great schools, but Cambridge is simply the best.

Hmm, an interesting argument. It would be a life experience I suppose. I assume that would be the view of a large majority of people, that whilst LSE is amazing, Cambridge is top. But in terms of Law as a subject, I'm not so sure. Thank you all the same!

Original post by arminb
LSE might be better in terms of finding a job after graduation or at least it shouldn't make any difference but you will receive a much better teaching at Cambridge. They are both amazing universities but how can you reject an offer from Cambridge (my heart says)? I was rejected from Oxford and had to firm LSE but my heart can never accept this. The experience is far more amazing in Oxbridge, with their collegiate system and tradition, than LSE. You won't have the most amazing campus life there. You will only go to uni to attend lectures then go back home. The social life isn't good in LSE but I don't think it would be much better at cambridge. And there are lots of international students-it is a very international environment overall.
But, on the other hand, don't be tricked by the name of a university. You should go and visit LSE to see if you like it. Also, read the course structure and find out about the teaching system. You will be expected to work 30-40 hours a week there while in LSE its probably 20-30 hours. Also, there is an emphasis on oral argument in Cam and you should see whether that suits you.
You are being a little ungrateful here. Do you know how many people would kill to go Oxbridge? If you were rejected like me, you would never ask that question. I wouldn't reject Cambridge for LSE.

I'm sorry for your rejection first of all. I know that you are right; had I been rejected, I would have been heartbroken and only wished for an opportunity to attend Cambridge. But now I have offers, it has allowed me to think more rationally. I do not view it as ungrateful, merely that I have worked to allow myself to be in a position where I am able to choose. As a result, I see the decision in a much more rational manner. I like the sound of both courses and their content but do prefer the supervision structure at Cambridge. I also know I would have to work harder at Cambridge but that this would better prepare me for the world of work in the City. It's a case of putting in the hours. I will be revisiting both prior to making my decision. Once again, sorry for your rejection. Please do not feel so disheartened. LSE is a fantastic institution, hence why I am putting so much thought into this decision. Thank you for your advice!
Reply 6
Thank you for your advice! And it's certainly a career I'm considering.

Hmm, an interesting argument. It would be a life experience I suppose. I assume that would be the view of a large majority of people, that whilst LSE is amazing, Cambridge is top. But in terms of Law as a subject, I'm not so sure. Thank you all the same!

I'm sorry for your rejection first of all. I know that you are right; had I been rejected, I would have been heartbroken and only wished for an opportunity to attend Cambridge. But now I have offers, it has allowed me to think more rationally. I do not view it as ungrateful, merely that I have worked to allow myself to be in a position where I am able to choose. As a result, I see the decision in a much more rational manner. I like the sound of both courses and their content but do prefer the supervision structure at Cambridge. I also know I would have to work harder at Cambridge but that this would better prepare me for the world of work in the City. It's a case of putting in the hours. I will be revisiting both prior to making my decision. Once again, sorry for your rejection. Please do not feel so disheartened. LSE is a fantastic institution, hence why I am putting so much thought into this decision. Thank you for your advice!

No Problem mate, its what this forum is for :colondollar:

If you want to practice Law then the only option imo is Cambridge. LSE is great but Cambridge is the best :smile: Statistically speaking your chances would be better coming from Cambridge for both Magic Circle/City Law and for becoming a Barrister.
Reply 7
For the MC you're likely quite a bit better off at Cam. For the Bar Oxbridge operate in a totally different league to anywhere else. In terms of research LSE was better, but then so were quite a few others, because the RAE can be manipulated by who you enter for assessment, LSE entered quite a lot fewer, this was in 2008 and Cam offers the supervision system which I think distinguishes it from anywhere bar Oxford really in terms of actual teaching.

Refs:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-results-2008-law-degree

http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf

Page 49 http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/media/177469/bar_barometer_nov_2012_web_upload_higher_res.pdf

Plus I would highly recommend anyone live out for uni unless they have medical reasons not to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Bump

To be honest, it sounds like you've already decided and you're just seeking reassurance now - which you've received, since people are advising you to go to Cambridge (which is what I'd do if I had my time over again, and I say that as a Cambridge alum). Is there anything more..."specific" you wanted to ask?
Reply 9
At the end of the day, anyone can tell you where to go, judging by this thread everyone has given their own opinion based on facts and preference. But at the end of the day you decide, and I know it's going to be hard, but go for the decision that you feel you will not regret at the end of the day. Plus don't rush into it, maybe visit again (if you already have) you could even set up a personal tour of both unis, and remember you are the customer, they want you. As long as you exploit this, you'll be dandy :smile:. Good luck, just go for what you feel is right and there will be ​times where you'd think "what if" but whatever you go for is always the best choice. P.S Never base your decision on prestige, or league tables. But what you like and where you as a student and a person will be able to thrive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by arminb

Just because a lot of people are rejected from Cambridge does not mean that the people with offers are being ungrateful if they choose not to go to Cambridge. They aren't obliged to go to a university that they may not want to go to anymore.
Reply 11
Original post by ThatPerson
Just because a lot of people are rejected from Cambridge does not mean that the people with offers are being ungrateful if they choose not to go to Cambridge. They aren't obliged to go to a university that they may not want to go to anymore.

Well said...couldn't be more true, the fact is someone may choose lets say UCL, Durham, LSE or any other top 10 uni over cambridge because they like the others more. There's no point going to Uni if you're going to be miserable for 3 years (5 for others). It's not being ungrateful, it shows that they don't hold "prestige" or "rankings" higher than their own preference. Something a lot of us students lack these days.
Reply 12
Hello everyone,

Thank you!

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on both offers! Both are excellent schools with low admission rates. Cambridge law stands has a 15-20% admissions rate while LSE law is far lower: 8%. (I calculated this based on the number of applicants to the number of admissions)

Cambridge has an internationally renowned reputation in Law; it stands out as one of the best law schools in the world. It's third in the world for law according to the QS World University Rankings, versus LSE at 7th place. Allow us, however, to depart from rankings: these are inconsistent and vary largely from year to year. Furthermore, some aspects (such as student satisfaction being continually low for the LSE - it makes up for it by employment prospects) of surveys and rankings make it difficult to conclude that the rankings are believable. In ascertaining the quality of a law school, it is difficult to find a consensus on the right factors which a school should be judged.

The gap between Cambridge and LSE in terms of international prestige for Law would be marginal. Both have internationally renowned Law departments, and in terms of employment while Cambridge would give you an excellent chance at a Magic Circle firm, LSE is equally capable of giving you that opportunity. Furthermore, its location in London is a significant advantage. It's strategically situated; close to the big investment firms and magic circle firms. Freshfields' London office is literally a 5-minute walk away from the LSE. Needless to say, it would bear many advantages if you would like to gain some practical experience during the course of your degree. (but it wouldn't make much of a difference to you since you live in London)

I chose LSE because I followed my heart. I saw Michael Sandel's famous Harvard lecture on Justice being taught at the LSE, and said to myself that I wanted to be part of that experience. As you've said, law is a social science. I believe that a good legal education should encompass an exploration into the subjective underpinnings behind legal principles instead of strictly studying the letter of the law. With world-renowned professors such as Sandel visiting and giving talks at the LSE (its location and prestige makes it an attractive choice) and questioning our conventional beliefs on the morality of law, I believe that students are well-equipped to become the next generation of global leaders and politicians.

I didn't apply to Oxbridge or UCL; and will be firming my offer to read law at the LSE.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
LSE is a dream for law but if you search on google , “where do law firms like to hire from?” On google, Cambridge is always at the top with oxford and Lse is always at the bottom for some reason . Even Durham, Bristol And UCL law grauduates are preferred. Think about jobs after uni. Go for Cambridge

Latest

Trending

Trending