The Student Room Group

Midwife or Children's nurse?

Should I be a midwife or a children's nurse? I am fully interested in both. Which has a higher pay? Which is more difficult to get into? I'm currently in Year 9 and will soon be choosing my options.

Thanks, Elly-Jo :smile:
Original post by Elly-Jo
Should I be a midwife or a children's nurse? I am fully interested in both. Which has a higher pay? Which is more difficult to get into? I'm currently in Year 9 and will soon be choosing my options.

Only you can decide whether to be a midwife or a childrens nurse. :smile: They are both highly paid jobs. Midwifery is harder to get into, but Childrens nursing is hard to get in to too. You can do adult nursing & then go into midwifery that way. What are you thinking about for your options?

Sophie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks Sophie :smile:

My school lets you take 4 options, so I'm thinking of taking:

1.) Additional Science
2.) Spanish
3.) Art or Textiles :smile:
4.) Child Development

I think i'm going to carry on thinking about it and eventually, make a final decision :smile:

Thankyou,
Elly-Jo :smile:
Original post by Elly-Jo
Thanks Sophie :smile:

My school lets you take 4 options, so I'm thinking of taking:

1.) Additional Science
2.) Spanish
3.) Art or Textiles :smile:
4.) Child Development

I think i'm going to carry on thinking about it and eventually, make a final decision :smile:

Thankyou,
Elly-Jo :smile:

Additional science is good, child development may help, though health & social care is better. Art is good & spanish will be good too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes, I really want to do health and social care, but my school doesn't offer it :frown:
Original post by Elly-Jo
Yes, I really want to do health and social care, but my school doesn't offer it :frown:

Child development will be good though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
As someone who was also in two minds about midwifery and child nursing, I suppose it really comes down to this:

1) Do you want to support a mother (and often their partner) through pregnancy, antenatal care, labour, delivery and then support the mother and child for roughly a month afterward (depending on condition of baby) - Midwifery actually has less of a focus on the baby, but more on the baby while it develops in the womb, with a focus on the mother and her wellbeing.

2) Do you want to care for children facing a variety of illnesses? Does the idea of supporting a family and their child with adjusting to long term conditions, short term problems or promoting health in children appeal to you? Child nursing is much more focused on the child, ranging from 0-16 (sometimes up to 18 depending on the ward/community team), however supporting the family is also crucial.

As it has been said, both fields are notorious to get into, but as long as you demonstrate an understanding of the role, what has prepared you and apply your experience (which is crucial), and meet entry requirements you have a good shot. If you have any questions about either field, I can answer about child and chat with my midwifery flatmate to help answer any midwifery questions you may have. I wish you the best in choosing your field, I know it isn't easy - there is always the option of doing adult first (you still have to be committed to this field of nursing and gain experience), as child and midwifery are both possibilities with this qualification.
Reply 7
Original post by Elly-Jo

Do you want to look after pregnant women or children? The pay is pretty much the same.
Moved to Nursing and Midwifery :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending