The Student Room Group

Fiat 500

Im thinking of getting a new car and ive seen a fiat 500 that i like.
Has anyone on here had/currently own a fiat 500? If so- what was it like (in terms of running costs, reliability, comfort and in general)? Would you recommend having one?
Any help is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emma:-)
Has anyone on here had/currently own a fiat 500? If so- what was it like (in terms of running costs, reliability, comfort and in general)? Would you recommend having one?
Any help is appreciated.

We test drove one today as my daughter was thinking of having one.

The version we tested was a 1.3 Diesel.

Quite well put together for a Fiat, drove it 40 miles, fuel consumption seems pretty good and insurance rates does seem fairly reasonable.

Space is okay upfront but very tight at the rear and has a practically useless boot. Ride is quite firm and somewhat bouncy.

Reliability, from following a Fiat Forum in UK and another one in Sweden that has a lot of members with the Panda and 500, reliability seem to be fairly good though some cars does seem to develop some very serious faults when new and UK Fiat dealers isn't the most helpful.

Resale value seem to be quite good for a Fiat and new prices are on the high side especially once you tick some options.

In the end after the test drive she decided she didn't like it because it doesn't have a glove box or enough storage space for her numerous junk, the ride being bouncy and kind of a noisy car.
Reply 2
If you like those, have you looked at a Panda?

Same car under the skin, just different styling and a lower price tag.
Reply 3
Any help is appreciated.

Personally I think they're rubbish, but whatever floats your boat.
Reply 4
Another car you could look at is the recent shaped Ford KA, it is the same car under the skin as the Fiat 500 but after test driving it back-to-back I realized the ride comfort was much better and somehow or rather less bouncy. Less expensive but doesn't quite has as many options or customization possibilities like the 500 not direct from the manufacturer at least.
Original post by JC.
If you like those, have you looked at a Panda?

Same car under the skin, just different styling and a lower price tag.

I hate the fiat pandas. They are really ugly looking. The fiat 500 certainly looks nicer, even if they are more expensive.
Original post by Alfissti
Another car you could look at is the recent shaped Ford KA, it is the same car under the skin as the Fiat 500 but after test driving it back-to-back I realized the ride comfort was much better and somehow or rather less bouncy. Less expensive but doesn't quite has as many options or customization possibilities like the 500 not direct from the manufacturer at least.

Im not a KA fan. I really dont like them. I suppose its not helped by rubbish service my parents have received from ford garages in our area over the years. Ill look into the fiat 500 more before making a decision.
We test drove one today as my daughter was thinking of having one.

The version we tested was a 1.3 Diesel.

Quite well put together for a Fiat, drove it 40 miles, fuel consumption seems pretty good and insurance rates does seem fairly reasonable.

Space is okay upfront but very tight at the rear and has a practically useless boot. Ride is quite firm and somewhat bouncy.

Reliability, from following a Fiat Forum in UK and another one in Sweden that has a lot of members with the Panda and 500, reliability seem to be fairly good though some cars does seem to develop some very serious faults when new and UK Fiat dealers isn't the most helpful.

Resale value seem to be quite good for a Fiat and new prices are on the high side especially once you tick some options.

In the end after the test drive she decided she didn't like it because it doesn't have a glove box or enough storage space for her numerous junk, the ride being bouncy and kind of a noisy car.

I didnt know they did a diesel. The one ive seen and am thinking of looking at is a 1.2 petrol. Its still meant to be good on fuel though, and its meant to be only £30 a year road tax which is good. The lack of space in the back and the boot is the one big thing i was concerned about. Ill have to look and see what i think.
Reply 8
I hate the fiat pandas. They are really ugly looking. The fiat 500 certainly looks nicer, even if they are more expensive.

Still drive exactly the same, though, which was the point I was trying to make!
Original post by JC.

Im not denying that they might drive the same.
But im not going to drive something i hate the look of.
Reply 10
Any help is appreciated.

i have a fiat :smile: really good little car, has good fuel consumption and is a lot more spacious then you think it would be! would recommend you go to a dealership to have a look at them. though re the boot, i was actually quite surprised with how much space it had! okay it's not the biggest but there was plenty of room for what i need it for. are you thinking of buying new or second hand? i got a new one and have a black box on it (measures speed etc) and it means my insurance is less.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ST10
i have a fiat :smile: really good little car, has good fuel consumption and is a lot more spacious then you think it would be! would recommend you go to a dealership to have a look at them. though re the boot, i was actually quite surprised with how much space it had! okay it's not the biggest but there was plenty of room for what i need it for. are you thinking of buying new or second hand? i got a new one and have a black box on it (measures speed etc) and it means my insurance is less.

I am thinking of buying a 2nd hand one. Ive seen one at a local used car garage. Its meant to be good fuel consumptionn, £30 a year road tax etc. Its a 1.2l petrol btw. If its still there on saturday (im at work all week) im going to go and have a look at it.
Reply 12
I am thinking of buying a 2nd hand one. Ive seen one at a local used car garage. Its meant to be good fuel consumptionn, £30 a year road tax etc. Its a 1.2l petrol btw. If its still there on saturday (im at work all week) im going to go and have a look at it.

definitely go & have a look & go for a test drive. couldn't recommend them enough!
Original post by ST10
definitely go & have a look & go for a test drive. couldn't recommend them enough!

Oh yeah, ill be looking at it (and taking my dad along) and having a test drive all right. Then ill see what i think.
Reply 14
Oh yeah, ill be looking at it (and taking my dad along) and having a test drive all right. Then ill see what i think.

yep defs good to take your dad along (that's what i did!) let me know how it goes :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ST10

Out of curiosity...... if you don't mind, could you please share how much does one pay when using that Black box? Is it one of those that doesn't allow you to drive the car after a certain time at night?

I didnt know they did a diesel. The one ive seen and am thinking of looking at is a 1.2 petrol. Its still meant to be good on fuel though, and its meant to be only £30 a year road tax which is good. The lack of space in the back and the boot is the one big thing i was concerned about. Ill have to look and see what i think.

There are several versions available. 0.9l Turbo, 1.2l Petrol and there was a 1.4l Petrol version as well as a few higher performance versions badged as an Abarth. The diesel is quite a good choice for this car if you will be doing the mileage though if you are buying it used then be prepared to pay more as at the dealer I was at diesel ones commanded a fair bit more and no budging on price.

The 1.2l is sufficient for such a car though it won't be fast or too quick a car, the good side is that is actually one of the best engines Fiat ever produced and it is one of the most reliable and robust engines.

I'd highly recommend test driving a few of these cars before deciding on which one you pick.
They are so cute <3

That's all I know about them lol
Original post by JC.

No-one buys a 500 who has a utilitarian viewpoint on cars

You buy it because it's cute
Reply 18
Out of curiosity...... if you don't mind, could you please share how much does one pay when using that Black box? Is it one of those that doesn't allow you to drive the car after a certain time at night?.

I actually don't know how much it costs cause my dad paid for my insurance :colondollar: but i know it is pretty cheap compared to normal insurance. but nope, i don't have any driving restrictions. i can just log onto a website & it tells me about things like use of speed & braking. it marks you out of a 100, and the closer you get to a 100 the better your driving is.
the black box is through directline.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19

Did you go on a test drive etc in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest