The Student Room Group

India Security Council Election - Jan 2014 - Voting

This poll is closed

Whom do you want to elect to the Security Council as India representative?

ThisIsntSpam 54%
Luketreherne 46%
RON (Re-open nominations)0%
Total votes: 13
Voting has begun and will last for 4 days - the Q&A continues.

Dear all,

The reasoning for this election is stated below by Cheese_Monster, representative for the USA (SC):

PreambleThe Security Council and the General Assembly have no confidence in the Indian Representative in fulfilling the duties expected of him as a permanent member of the Security Council and believe he should be relieved of his position,

The member in question was once incredibly active and passionate, however, he has failed to register a comment in over a month and half. With this being said, a mechanism to automatically remove inactive members of the Security Council needs introducing if we are to avoid 'traumatic' votes of no confidence, which are unpleasant, but necessary on occasions like this.

This also serves as a message to other Security Council representatives who are not pulling their weight, there are plenty of others willing to step up and replace you, if you are not interested then step down and avoid the hassle of a no confidence procedure.

An election is now being held to fill the India position in the Security Council.

Here are the manifestos!

ThisIsn'tSpamI personally believe that I am a strong contender for the Indian Security Council position that has just opened up. Although I have not been a member for very long, I feel familiar with the various ins and outs of the system and have contributed to almost all of the UN discussions that have taken place since I have joined. Furthermore, I am more than willing to do whatever it takes to learn whatever else is necessary if I was to be allocated this position. In concurrence to this, I would also like to add that I am considered to be an extremely reliable and fair minded individual who will happily listen to all sides of the argument. After all, the best way to beat your opponent, is to know what they're saying.

If I was elected to the Security Council, then I would aspire to bring a sense of justice and humanitarian understanding to the Council, with New Zealand acting as a constant campaigner for human rights and protection, alongside pressing environmental concerns.

However, you should not think of me as a man of compromise. I will strive to get the best deal possible and the one that will bring forth the greatest benefits to the greatest number. Those who are ignored shall receive a voice.

If you were to elect me to the Security Council then one thing is indeed certain: It won't be the same again.

ThisIsn'tSpame - New Zealand Representative for the Model United Nations

LuketreherneI think that I am the best candidate for the position for the Indian Security Council because i am passionate about international relations. To be actively live out my passion for international relations would be allow me to be able to dig deeper into my passion and as result represent India with as much realism to the real United Nations.
Furthermore I am the best candidate for this position because I am committed and play an active part of the MUN. As one can’t help but notice since joining the MUN less than 72 hours ago I have played an active role in representing the European Union such as getting Involved in discussions surround North Korea, the Death of Ariel Sharon and Iran’s uranium enrichment programme of which I can ensure I will carry over my role of representing India on the MUN security council If I was elected as your representative.
In addition I also believe that I will also be able to deliver a MUN experience similar to that of the real life UN. This will be done by posting resolutions exactly to what is approved by the real life UN in real time as much as humanly possible and by posting relevant news articles surrounding international relations.
Furthermore I will also deliver a shot of reignited passion of international affairs and relations. I aspire to achieve this by trying to highlight the links between the UN and peoples day to day lives, this hopefully will be played out in the MUN.

This election will be run in accordance to section two of the MUN Guidance Document.

Election
Wednesday 8th January 2014 - Announcement of election and manifestos of no more than 300 words requested by Secretary General

Monday 13th January 2014 - Manifestos posted and a 2 day Q&A period will begin

Wednesday 15th January 2014 - Voting opened. Q&A can continue during this time.

Sunday 19th January 2014 - Result is announced. If there is a tie between the top two candidates, a run off vote of five days shall occur.
As ever, any questions please post here or send me a PM.

Kind regards,

RoryS
Secretary General
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rakas21
x

:colone:
Reply 2
:bump:

I've had no manifestos - if you intend on applying, send one to me ASAP.
Was going to apply , but with the fact that I have Been apart of MUN for just over four days means I won't get elected on the grounds of little/no experience and I need to be apart of the MUN for 3 months + in order to be eligible for dual membership. I do however have the time , I will apply for an opening as soon as I become eligible for Dual representation.

I look toward to working with however is chosen to represent India in the MUN security council.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Luketreherne
Was going to apply , but with the fact that I have Been apart of MUN for just over four days means I won't get elected on the grounds of little/no experience and I need to be apart of the MUN for 3 months + in order to be eligible for dual membership. I do however have the time , I will apply for an opening as soon as I become eligible for Dual representation.

I look toward to working with however is chosen to represent India in the MUN security council.

If there are no submissions then apply, the quickest way to learn is to jump in at the deep end. Like you say you are very active.
Reply 5
I would have though that there would be at least a few candidates for these elections!

Newbies go for it!
Original post by Republic1
If there are no submissions then apply, the quickest way to learn is to jump in at the deep end. Like you say you are very active.

Don't I need to be apart of the MUN for three months and more in order to be eligible for dual representation.?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Don't I need to be apart of the MUN for three months and more in order to go for dual representation.?

Yeah you would have to give up the EU. It would be a big upgrade from GA to SC!
Original post by Will95206
Yeah you would have to give up the EU. It would be a big upgrade from GA to SC!

Ok I'll apply

I am going to struggle to think of things to put on there given my lack of experience , give me until end of today to hand my application in. Doubt i will win though , all well it is still worth the try and if i am unsuccessful this time i will apply for the UK when the elections start for that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok I'll apply

I am going to struggle to think of things to put on there given my lack of experience , give me until end of today to hand my application in. Doubt i will win though , all well it is still worth the try and if i am unsuccessful this time i will apply for the UK when the elections start for that.

Moist Penguin became Russia after little experience, honestly, no one will hold it against you. Enthusiasm is what counts!
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Moist Penguin became Russia after little experience, honestly, no one will hold it against you. Enthusiasm is what counts!

Anyway I have decided to take the plunge and apply for India , we shall see what happens next. Are the expectations for SC members higher than that of the GA ?
Anyway I have decided to take the plunge and apply for India , we shall see what happens next. Are the expectations for SC members higher than that of the GA ?

You're expected to be more active and the drivers of activity in the main GA :smile:
You're expected to be more active and the drivers of activity in the main GA :smile:

Thanks Cheese_Monster for your help !
Thanks Cheese_Monster for your help !

Anytime.
Anytime.

Now I just need to wait until the elections , will voting still take place if olny one person applies ?
Now I just need to wait until the elections , will voting still take place if olny one person applies ?

Yes with the option of Re-open Nominations as well (affectionately known as RON) :tongue: If RON gets more votes than the one candidate, the election process starts over.
Good luck to whoever applies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
Good luck to whoever applies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying ?
Are you applying ?

Nope, maybe in the future but at the moment I lack in experience. I used to represent the Bahamas but had to leave due to RL commitments.

Representing Italy now.
Are you applying ?

Why don't you go for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending