The Student Room Group

How do I analyse a statutory extract?

Basically for my exam I was told I will have to interpret a statutory extract,but I wasnt told exactly how I am meant to do this.

The statute is chapter 19 of the criminal appeal act 1968 .
Reply 1
Original post by vanessap
Basically for my exam I was told I will have to interpret a statutory extract,but I wasnt told exactly how I am meant to do this.

The statute is chapter 19 of the criminal appeal act 1968 .

I think it may give you a small problem question, and by using the Act, see what the legal response is.

Ask your uni?
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
I think it may give you a small problem question, and by using the Act, see what the legal response is.

Ask your uni?

No its multiple choice . We were told in that point of that section was to reward preparation. also in the practice paper some of the questions asked included what some words meant .
Reply 3
No its multiple choice . We were told in that point of that section was to reward preparation. also in the practice paper some of the questions asked included what some words meant .

I see.

So in that Act, look for the 'Interpretation' sub section.

They will have the definitions for the words used in the Act.

What other things did they say?
Reply 4
I see.

So in that Act, look for the 'Interpretation' sub section.

They will have the definitions for the words used in the Act.

What other things did they say?

Thats it. I have checked west law and some bits of the acts have side notes, do I have to make note if those to in my annotation?
Reply 5
Thats it. I have checked west law and some bits of the acts have side notes, do I have to make note if those to in my annotation?

The annotation helps in the statutory interpretation.

I would at least read them over.

But memorise the definitions in the Interpretation section for sure.
Reply 6
The annotation helps in the statutory interpretation.

I would at least read them over.

But memorise the definitions in the Interpretation section for sure.

We are allowed to take our annotations in but I am just not sure about what I am doing
Reply 7
We are allowed to take our annotations in but I am just not sure about what I am doing

Any chance you could upload the practise paper?
Reply 8

Its not on blackboard but I have attached a copy of the advance materials
Reply 9
Its not on blackboard but I have attached a copy of the advance materials

are the advance materials just a copy of the Act?

Just want to get a clear understanding of what you're actually expected to do haha
Reply 10

here it is.
Reply 11
are the advance materials just a copy of the Act?

Just want to get a clear understanding of what you're actually expected to do haha

yes it is just a short copy of the act
Reply 12
yes it is just a short copy of the act

You can't take annotated copies of the statute. You can only annotate those three cases.

For sure, learn the Westlaw annotations for the given sections of the Act, so 1,2,3, 3A, 7.

See if there any major cases that link to those sections.

Learn them.
Reply 13
You can't take annotated copies of the statute. You can only annotate those three cases.

For sure, learn the Westlaw annotations for the given sections of the Act, so 1,2,3, 3A, 7.

See if there any major cases that link to those sections.

Learn them.

Why do I have to learn cases?
Reply 14
Why do I have to learn cases?

Please read the attached statutory extract and prepare material for answering questions on the meaning, interpretation and application of this material.

definitely look at s22 of the magistrates courts act 1980

look for definitions of
scheduled offence
the value involved.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Please read the attached statutory extract and prepare material for answering questions on the meaning, interpretation and application of this material.

lool alright thanks.
Reply 16
lool alright thanks.

see edit as well.
Reply 17
see edit as well.

Yes I have looked at definitions. Also on west law there are annotations on conditions for example in S.3(1) where it says convicted of an offence, if the offence of which the defendant has been convicted does not exist,this section cannot be used to substitute a verdict of guilty on another offence;see r v abdul 2012. Is this important?
Also is this what you meant when you said learn the cases?
Reply 18
Yes I have looked at definitions. Also on west law there are annotations on conditions for example in S.3(1) where it says convicted of an offence, if the offence of which the defendant has been convicted does not exist,this section cannot be used to substitute a verdict of guilty on another offence;see r v abdul 2012. Is this important?
Also is this what you meant when you said learn the cases?

yes thats what I mean
Reply 19
yes thats what I mean

Well thank you verry much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest