The Student Room Group

year 9 mock test...what to expect

hi, i have year 9 mock test coming up in one week from now and
im just windering if year 9 mock test is thsame as year9 sats.

the subjects we'll be taking is science 5-7 , english 4-7 and maths 5-7 but my maths teacher sed he's going to ask if set 1 can take 6-8. im not that worried about maths and science but the only thing im worriedd about is how the questions are going to be layed out. like is it going to be layed how like normal test or a test where u have to tick a box.

about the english mock test,, what should i expect is it just reading and writing or is shakespeare going to addeed.
thanks.
Year 9 mock tests usually depend entirely on the school; ask your teachers, they will be able to give more accurate answers than anyone here.*

*Although I seriously doubt they'd ask you about Shakespeare for English. You can't be expected to have read any of his plays yet.
Original post by smartboy1331

the subjects we'll be taking is science 5-7 , english 4-7 and maths 5-7 but my maths teacher sed he's going to ask if set 1 can take 6-8. im not that worried about maths and science but the only thing im worriedd about is how the questions are going to be layed out. like is it going to be layed how like normal test or a test where u have to tick a box.

about the english mock test,, what should i expect is it just reading and writing or is shakespeare going to addeed.
thanks.

SATs is a misnomer - you are referring to National Curriculum Tests. The Year 9 National Curriculum Tests were abolished in 2009.

Your school may still use old papers to assess levels. The old maths papers can be found here:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php/4-students/past-papers/ks3-sat-papers
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

thanks.

As has been said - depends on your school but I would expect it to look like a 5-7 or 6-8 National Curriculum test as Mr M has said

I would expect Science to use the same style too

English might but, tbh, the National Curriculum tests for English were not as useful as the Ma and Sc

You really should ask your teachers what they are testing you on and what the papers will be like
Reply 4
Original post by StrangeBanana

Although I seriously doubt they'd ask you about Shakespeare for English.

Is this a joke

Y9 National Curriculum Tests always included some Shakespeare

I imagine the OP has done some Shakespeare, why else would he be expecting it to be tested
Year 9 mock tests usually depend entirely on the school; ask your teachers, they will be able to give more accurate answers than anyone here.*

*Although I seriously doubt they'd ask you about Shakespeare for English. You can't be expected to have read any of his plays yet.

I studied Shakespeare in year 6... TWICE.

I'm sure they must have Shakespeare!!
Original post by Lord Frieza
I studied Shakespeare in year 6... TWICE.

:P Not all schools do Shakespeare. Yours was one that happened to.

Original post by TenOfThem
Is this a joke

Tempted to say yes, but no; wasn't a joke. A lot of schools do Shakespeare pre-GCSE; a lot of schools don't. Schools prepare kids for the exams they sit at the end of the year; if Shakespeare is in the OP's exam, he will have been prepared for it. It wasn't obvious to me that the OP had studied Shakespeare before, so I said that it wasn't likely his plays would come up in his mock-test. In hind-sight, I should have said: "If you have studied Shakespeare, he will probably come up; if you haven't studied him, he probably won't come up!"
Reply 7

Tempted to say yes, but no; wasn't a joke. A lot of schools do Shakespeare pre-GCSE; a lot of schools don't.

Until September 2013, at least one Shakespeare play was a compulsory element of the KS3 NC for English

Of course the OP may be in a non-NC school but his reference to "SATs" would suggest otherwise
:P Not all schools do Shakespeare. Yours was one that happened to.

Tempted to say yes, but no; wasn't a joke. A lot of schools do Shakespeare pre-GCSE; a lot of schools don't. Schools prepare kids for the exams they sit at the end of the year; if Shakespeare is in the OP's exam, he will have been prepared for it. It wasn't obvious to me that the OP had studied Shakespeare before, so I said that it wasn't likely his plays would come up in his mock-test. In hind-sight, I should have said: "If you have studied Shakespeare, he will probably come up; if you haven't studied him, he probably won't come up!"

That sure is strange, I thought everyone would have studied Shakespeare before secondary school!
Original post by Lord Frieza
That sure is strange, I thought everyone would have studied Shakespeare before secondary school!

Well I know I didn't, and my primary school wasn't particularly bad. :redface:
Well I know I didn't, and my primary school wasn't particularly bad. :redface:

No, but your Secondary school sounds odd - was it independent
No, but your Secondary school sounds odd - was it independent

Not sure as to what it officially was.
Not sure as to what it officially was.

Well, whatever it was, they clearly did not follow the National Curriculum
Well, whatever it was, they clearly did not follow the National Curriculum

Perhaps; hasn't negatively affected me.
Perhaps; hasn't negatively affected me.

No suggestion that it did :biggrin:
No suggestion that it did :biggrin:

Didn't mean to suggest there was. :redface:
Reply 16
my english teacher sed we're doing writing and reading but she didnt mentioned anything to do with shakespeare and i HOPE it doesnt come up. as i havnt studied it
my english teacher sed we're doing writing and reading but she didnt mentioned anything to do with shakespeare and i HOPE it doesnt come up. as i havnt studied it

My English teacher said we're doing writing and reading but she didn't mention anything to do with Shakespeare and I HOPE it doesn't come up as I haven't studied it.

Wow. You just improved from Level 4 to Level 5.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M

Hahaha you do make me laugh :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Mr M

lol thanks.....

Quick Reply

Latest