Original post by CJY172
Anybody applied for Management?

I applied for Management too - still waiting :frown:
Where else did you apply?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
LSE isn't better than Cambridge for Economics. I agree with you on Oxford though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate prospects and opportunities for networking in the city are much higher. But I can understand why people would consider Oxbridge - people get whipped up about Oxbridge because of their reputation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by josiejo1970
Graduate prospects and opportunities for networking in the city are much higher. But I can understand why people would consider Oxbridge - people get whipped up about Oxbridge.

Cambridge graduates on average have a higher starting salary than LSE graduates for Economics so I beg to differ. (Not that there's a huge difference anyways) The course, teaching and support you get from Camb for Econ is more desirable than at LSE, not to mention the place & social scene is a lot nicer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Cambridge graduates on average have a higher starting salary than LSE graduates for Economics so I beg to differ. (Not that there's a huge difference anyways) The course, teaching and support you get from Camb for Econ is more desirable than at LSE, not to mention the place & social scene is a lot nicer.

I'd probably agree with most of that except the course. Of course it comes down to preferences but I find LSE's course to be more appealing. They offer slight flexibility in the first year and that political/social module at Cambridge looks fairly dull.

I'm not keen on Cambridge after visiting which is why I didn't apply. They are all great Unis so we will agree to differ. I know quite a few people in senior jobs in London who said they would recruit LSE over Oxbridge. My sisters friend, an LSE graduate, earns a 6 figure salary within 2 years of leaving LSE and now owns 2 properties. The networking he was able to do whilst in London made internships and job hunting easier. We are both lucky to be able to study at these institutions. Still disappointed about Oxford but knew in my heart that LSE was the better choice. Just never been in a position where I was unsuccessful in anything before. Sad face :frown: Must have messed up TSA as I was happy with my interviews. Still 8% acceptance is always a risk/challenge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NedStark
I'd probably agree with most of that except the course. Of course it comes down to preferences but I find LSE's course to be more appealing. They offer slight flexibility in the first year and that political/social module at Cambridge looks fairly dull.

I agree the options look great. Particularly some of the financial ones. Plus I like the look of the general course and a possible year abroad.
I'm not keen on Cambridge after visiting which is why I didn't apply. They are all great Unis so we will agree to differ. I know quite a few people in senior jobs in London who said they would recruit LSE over Oxbridge. My sisters friend, an LSE graduate, earns a 6 figure salary within 2 years of leaving LSE and now owns 2 properties. The networking he was able to do whilst in London made internships and job hunting easier. We are both lucky to be able to study at these institutions. Still disappointed about Oxford but knew in my heart that LSE was the better choice. Just never been in a position where I was unsuccessful in anything before. Sad face :frown: Must have messed up TSA as I was happy with my interviews. Still 8% acceptance is always a risk/challenge.

Potential 6 figure salary - would kinda sweeten the offer a bit, don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arminb
Why ?

As Cambridge is uniformly considered better. I also prefer the Cambridge style of teaching, which involves one to one supervisions.
Reply 3888

Graduate salary isn't too important for me and I think choosing a university on that basis devaluates education. I wonder how much the quality of teaching differs in each uni. For my course, history, you have to work 30-40 hours a week at Oxford but in LSE its only 10-20?. I don't know if its sensible to say Oxford provides better teaching on that basis. I know that Oxford is better but I don't know how much better it is.
Reply 3889
Original post by gouratiltzen
As Cambridge is uniformly considered better. I also prefer the Cambridge style of teaching, which involves one to one supervisions.

ouh you've got an offer from Cambridge. Of course you should go there. What course, they don't offer IR do they?
Reply 3890

Did you get the offer? You sound like you've been rejected. :colondollar:

Spoiler

I don't think i can ever forgive myself if I reject Cambridge for LSE.
Original post by arminb
ouh you've got an offer from Cambridge. Of course you should go there. What course, they don't offer IR do they?

Right :smile: The course is called human, social, and political science; within this subject one can choose various tracks, and one of the tracks is International Relations.

Fair enough, I guess you'd prefer a more mathematical course (which LSE appears to be). I prefer the structure of the Camb's first year as it gives a more broader outlook, I'd rather do Econ options rather than more Maths/Stats but as you said it's all preference.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3893
Original post by gouratiltzen
Right :smile: The course is called human, social, and political science; within this subject one can choose various tracks, and one of the tracks is International Relations.

Congratulations man, that amazing. The only good thing about LSE is that famous politicians (e.g Nelson Mandela) visit there but that has 0 connection with the quality of teaching.
LSE= lectures with 500 people
Cambridge= small group(1-4) supervisions
Who wouldn't go there.

Spoiler

We all know someone who went to XXX university and landed with a top job wherever. All these unis do is grant you access at the front door, you'd have to be able to sell yourself so it's more to do with the person rather than the uni. Whilst LSE is good people seem to obsess over the prospects, it won't give you a noticeable advantage over say UCL or Warwick graduates.

Forget Oxford, you got your 1st choice so that's all that matters. A rejection may hurt now but it'll prepare you mentally for situations later on in life in which you may be unsuccessful (jobs, interviews, relationships etc...).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by arminb
Did you get the offer? You sound like you've been rejected. :colondollar:

Spoiler

I don't think i can ever forgive myself if I reject Cambridge for LSE.

Haha, I've always had this opinion before I had an offer from anyone. Cambridge would always be above LSE for me but not by much since, for me, job prospect was the 1st thing I was looking for in universities. But haven't heard back from Cam yet, here's hoping it'll be good news.

Fair enough, I guess you'd prefer a more mathematical course (which LSE appears to be). I prefer the structure of the Camb's first year as it gives a more broader outlook, I'd rather do Econ options rather than more Maths/Stats but as you said it's all preference.

Having said that, I'm not hating the Cambridge course. It's got strong points as in there's more Economics in the first year and that British history module looks good. Don't get me wrong, overall I'd still say Cambridge is better.
(edited 10 years ago)
I was told by the LSE admissions office that if you apply before January 15 it doesn't matter how early you do it.
Is this true? Do I have less chance of getting in because I sent my application in last week?
Reply 3897
Original post by TheBlueGuy
I was told by the LSE admissions office that if you apply before January 15 it doesn't matter how early you do it.
Is this true? Do I have less chance of getting in because I sent my application in last week?

no, probably not. You just have to wait for longer.
Original post by arminb
no, probably not. You just have to wait for longer.

Ok thank you!
Also (sorry to be annoying), how do I know if LSE have received my application? Sent it in on friday night so I guess I shouldn't expect any email till Monday right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending