The Student Room Group

How to get my parents on a diet

My parents are both overweight. I was to try and persuade them to lose weight but I don't know how to go about it in a nice way. It's a difficult subject and want to approach it with some tact so I don't upset them or offend them. How can I go about it?
Original post by Lauren0692
My parents are both overweight. I was to try and persuade them to lose weight but I don't know how to go about it in a nice way. It's a difficult subject and want to approach it with some tact so I don't upset them or offend them. How can I go about it?

Dieting is a load of *******s tbh.

They just need to eat good, clean, non-fatty foods and exercise.
Maybe you could cook them a healthy meal whenever you have the time. That way you won't have to tell them anything.
Original post by Lauren0692

You can express concern to your parents that you are worried about their health from being overweight and that you don't want to see them suffer in future. Perhaps make a few suggestions for food they could swap or physical activities you think they'd enjoy. Be honest, but do not judge them for their actions. I would, however, mention that, ultimately, the decision lies with them and that if they will only be ready to change when they feel ready to. If you can't persuade them,then be sure to take care of your own health and be sure you don't follow in their footsteps. Good luck.
Try and create it to be a family completion so everyone in your family is doing a diet this would make it appealing and a little less rude
unless you can phrase it as something along the lines of 'I want to be more healthy and was wondering if we could make an effort as a family so I find it easier' I wouldn't bother, your parents know what size/weight they are and you're more likely to upset and offend them than bring them to a sudden epiphany about their health

I second the guy who said to stick the diet as well, it's about getting onto a balanced + healthy diet and doing some exercise, the weight will catch up
Original post by doodle_333
I wouldn't bother, your parents know what size/weight they are and you're more likely to upset and offend them than bring them to a sudden epiphany about their health

This! They are old enough to know what a healthy weight is and know when to do something about it. Losing weight is something you can only really do when you want to do it, so being told to lose weight by your children isn't going to work.

i feel your pain, dont eat me
Reply 8
I'm assuming you're living at home? If so I'd go down the "healthy eating" route as a family rather than focussing on weight although that might be your primary concern. Even if you aren't overweight yourself healthy eating won't do you any harm. By healthy eating I mean primarily cutting back on the junk stuff that alone can make a significant difference. Beyond the junk stuff then it's following all the usual guidelines.

If you don't live at home then it'll be whole lot harder but you could still say to them that you want to follow a healthier diet and see if they would join you in the belated resolution.

Speaking as an overweight parent myself (but currently doing something about it :smile: ) it's a whole lot easier to regulate menus when the offspring have flown the nest (as ours recently have) and avoid buying in treats like biscuits. When our elder son came home recently he was concerned that the fridge was devoid of many things and thought we were hard up for cash lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending