The Student Room Group

Who do you think should win the Balon D'or this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qua
Cristiano Ronaldo: 27,99% Lionel Messi: 24,72% Franck Ribéry: 23,36%.

Of course Ribery will be heartbroken. The votes are so closed that the deadline extension could very well have cost him the win, even though FIFA say otherwise.

Ronaldo has only 3% more than last year. He basically lives off the fact that Messi lost so many votes to Ribery. Which in turn means Messi will only find back to his usual fitness (like 2012) to dethrone him again.

2014 promises to be another mouth watering battle between Ronaldo and Messi for Balon D'or 2014. Arguably the 2 greatest players of this generation.
Ribery must be gutted he had a huge chance to break the Ronaldo-Messi (more messi) duopoly on the Balon D'or.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
How the hell did Ribery get so many votes anyway?

Just the success of Bayern this year. Didn't they say they won 5 trophies?
Reply 222
Original post by Jordooooom
Just the success of Bayern this year. Didn't they say they won 5 trophies?

It's pathetic that an individual award gets votes due to the success of their team, especially when he was one of many good players, not an outstanding player. That's all.
Reply 223
Well deserved from Ronaldo, I wonder whose gonna get it next year. :cool:

Probably whoever plays the best in the World Cup :smile:
Well deserved definitely for 2013.

Refreshing to see him show that emotion when picking up the award - obviously means alot to him and his family. But he'll still get ripped for crying which he shouldn't yet he gets criticised for lack of grace when Messi won for the last four years.
It's pathetic that an individual award gets votes due to the success of their team, especially when he was one of many good players, not an outstanding player. That's all.

Although I think it should play a part, I agree, I'd argue Schweinsteiger deserved it more than Ribery.
Original post by Kutta
Well deserved from Ronaldo, I wonder whose gonna get it next year. :cool:

Probably whoever plays the best in the World Cup :smile:

Yeah most likely whoever performs the best in the World Cup like Ronaldo de Lima (2002) and Cannavaro (2006)
Deserved for Ronaldo.

Always thought Messi fanboys were mainly introverts intimidated by Ronaldo's personality and who want to believe Messi is a nice boy just like them.

Wish Ibra could win it once though.
Although I think it should play a part, I agree, I'd argue Schweinsteiger deserved it more than Ribery.

Yeah exactly, Lahm definitely deserved credit for his amazing performances in 2013.
Reply 229
Original post by Zürich
Deserved for Ronaldo.

Always thought Messi fanboys were mainly introverts intimidated by Ronaldo's personality and who want to believe Messi is a nice boy just like them.

I'm not even a Messi fanboy, I like Ronaldo more than Messi tbh.

But Messi is clearly the better player, it's a breath of fresh air though, hopefully he uses that confidence to try and win the award next year and actually give a fully fit Messi a challenge.
Reply 230
How the hell did Ribery get so many votes anyway?

He finished first in the media voting, which is the largest group of voters (because not all captains/coaches gave their votes, but all media representatives did), and those are mostly hipster voters.

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
2014 promises to be another mouth watering battle between Ronaldo and Messi for Balon D'or 2014. Arguably the 2 greatest players of this generation.
Ribery must be gutted he had a huge chance to break the Ronaldo-Messi (more messi) duopoly on the Balon D'or.

I don't think it will be too much of a battle. Messi is normally 20% ahead of everybody, including CR (like last year: 41% Messi, 23% CR). This year was different because Messi was injured in crucial games and again got injured exactly when the voting phase got hot and voters thought about their choices, while CR kicked out Ibrahimovic and played the month of his life.

As I said, even in a year where Messi was injured and he scored a crucial hat trick just as the voting deadline was extended, CR only managed to get 27%. Judging from past years' results, Messi will surpass that number by far if he doesn't get injured. Whatever you may think about that.

But anyway, that wasn't your point. You are right, I'm looking forward to the year as a whole too and to see Messi and CR play. Hopefully CR's first two games this year aren't indicative.

Original post by Zürich
Deserved for Ronaldo.

This year he deserved it more than the others, yes (although I was rooting for Ibra before the finalists got announced). I'm not intimated by Ronaldo, but I think he's not as good a player. Don't you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 231
Original post by Zürich
Deserved for Ronaldo.

Haha Ibra's speech would be legendary!

Did you see in the team of the year bit they asked him:

"Who would score the most goals if you Messi and Ronaldo played in the same team".

He replied:

"Messi and Ronaldo would get the same amount of goals as me"

Haha :biggrin:

I reckon if Ibra stayed at Barca and top scored he would win it :smile: Easier said than done with Messi in the side though :colondollar:
I'm not even a Messi fanboy, I like Ronaldo more than Messi tbh.

But Messi is clearly the better player, it's a breath of fresh air though, hopefully he uses that confidence to try and win the award next year and actually give a fully fit Messi a challenge.

Seen Messi for Argentina?

Put Ronaldo in the Charlton Ath team and he'd still be a wrecking ball, same is true for Ibrahimovic. Ballon D'Or is about individuals. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I think both are in the top5 players of all time and and utter joy to watch. Lucky to watch them both.
Original post by Kutta
Haha Ibra's speech would be legendary!

Did you see in the team of the year bit they asked him:

"Who would score the most goals if you Messi and Ronaldo played in the same team".

He replied:

"Messi and Ronaldo would get the same amount of goals as me"

Haha :biggrin:

I reckon if Ibra stayed at Barca and top scored he would win it :smile: Easier said than done with Messi in the side though :colondollar:

Someone bought me Ibra's autobiography for Xmas and it was brilliant. Ibrahimovic is the biggest character in football really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Recently? He's been doing very well for Argentina
Reply 235
Original post by qua
He finished first in the media voting, which is the largest group of voters (because not all captains/coaches gave their votes, but all media representatives did), and those are mostly hipster voters.

I don't think it will be too much of a battle. Messi is normally 20% ahead of everybody, including CR (like last year: 41% Messi, 23% CR). This year was different because Messi was injured in crucial games and again got injured exactly when the voting phase got hot and voters thought about their choices, while CR kicked out Ibrahimovic and played the month of his life.

As I said, even in a year where Messi was injured and he scored a crucial hat trick just as the voting deadline was extended, CR only managed to get 27%. Judging from past years' results, Messi will surpass that number by far if he doesn't get injured. Whatever you may think about that.

But anyway, that wasn't your point. You are right, I'm looking forward to the year as a whole too and to see Messi and CR play. Hopefully CR's first two games this year aren't indicative.

Definitely agree, hopefully Ronaldo beasts it this season so it is an actual duopoly rather than messi or ronaldo. The thing is though, for a so called complete footballer Ronaldo is revered to be, he has some missing links to his play. His passing isn't the greatest(although he has good link up play) and decision making is poor compared to Messi like you said his long range shooting is rather overrated(as are his freekicks)

I do think however if Barca get knocked out by City in the CL, then it will be a dent for Messi this year. So they'd have to win that for sure which isn't guaranteed, considering how they struggled against Milan last year.

I think Messi's 2012 caught up with him and that Villanova/Roura didn't know how to keep him fresh, Tata is starting to get the best out of Messi too. Lets see how he does.
Recently? He's been doing very well for Argentina

Ronaldo has been doing even better for Portugal :smile:
Reply 237
Ronaldo and Messi may be the best players of this generation for some....

but for me nobody can beat Ronaldinho as the best player of our generation...

Edit - Just pointing it out as someone said Ronaldo/Messi being the best of our generation. Im a Ronaldo fan and im glad he won :smile: I would rather watch Ronaldinho in his prime than Ronaldo or Messi. Just my opinion, no need to hurt me :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 238
Original post by Zürich

Put Ronaldo in the Charlton Ath team and he'd still be a wrecking ball, same is true for Ibrahimovic. Ballon D'Or is about individuals. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I think both are in the top5 players of all time and and utter joy to watch. Lucky to watch them both.

While I haven't watched them(don't watch internationals bar the odd england borefest and world cup/euros/copa america), he's been scoring a goal a game for them the past year.

Messi wouldn't handle it at a cold wet night at the britannia I guess? :rolleyes:
Messi has won every single Balon d"or for a few years. It's time for ronaldo :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest