The Student Room Group

How hard is a law degree compared to other degrees?

I know that you can't really know since a person would have to have done both degrees but still. Overall how would the workload of a law degree compare to say a history degree? I've heard doing 6hours prep per tutorial (24hours of independent study per week) is pretty normal for a law student wanting to get a good 2.1 but how does this compare to a history student or an english student?

I'm asking as an A-level student. And no I'm not basing me degree choice over this. I'm just curious.
(edited 10 years ago)
How long is a piece of string? It depends on
- your innate ability
- whether or not you enjoy it (doing something you hate always makes it seem harder / longer)
- the uni you're at and modules you pick
Reply 2
Original post by ActusReus
I know that you can't really know since a person would have to have done both degrees but still. Overall how would the workload of a law degree compare to say a history degree? I've heard doing 6hours prep per tutorial (24hours of independent study per week) is pretty normal for a law student wanting to get a good 2.1 but how does this compare to a history student or an english student?

I'm asking as an A-level student. And no I'm not basing me degree choice over this. I'm just curious.

I am studying law as a degree at the moment and I have to say that compared to other degrees I know people on we have a significantly higher work load! for example in the first year we were expected to attend 14 hours at university week, complete 35 hours of independent study - all of which is while completing seminar preparations, set reading, presentation work, revision in general and the course work essays we get. However, we would tend to end up spending much more time on it than this as it would not be possible to get everything done otherwise. So yes I would say that it restricts your social life quite a bit and even though I still love doing it - it is not a degree that should be chosen lightly unless you are up for the work and late nights. :wink:

Hope this is helpful - feel free to ask if have any other questions!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
well it's harder than teaching, drama, art, sociology and crap like that. but probably not as hard as sciences/medical sciences/maths/engineering
Depends on Uni.
Original post by 94becky
I am studying law as a degree at the moment and I have to say that compared to other degrees I know people on we have a significantly higher work load! for example in the first year we were expected to attend 14 hours at university week, complete 35 hours of independent study - all of which is while completing seminar preparations, set reading, presentation work, revision in general and the course work essays we get. However, we would tend to end up spending much more time on it than this as it would not be possible to get everything done otherwise. So yes I would say that it restricts your social life quite a bit and even though I still love doing it - it is not a degree that should be chosen lightly unless you are up for the work and late nights. :wink:

Hope this is helpful - feel free to ask if have any other questions!

This sounds really scary.

Is it ok if you can describe to us your weekly timetable? Including time you allocate to things.
Original post by DirtyHarry01

Scary? I am expected to study 65-70 hours a week this term..not doing a law degree though.
Reply 7
Original post by DirtyHarry01

Is it ok if you can describe to us your weekly timetable? Including time you allocate to things.

Don't be put off its honestly just something you will get use to! And it will be worth it!
Well I have Six Lectures and 6 Seminars a week.
On a Monday I am in 10-7
Tuesday 3-6
Wednesday - Off
Thursday 12 - 6
Friday 1-4
So not too bad!

So I would usually aim to spend at least 5 hours on each of my subjects - of which I have six. In this time I usually try to get the reading we have be given done and my seminar preparation. I would then use some time to write up all of my lecture notes (takes so long its annoying). However, like at the moment I have a lot of essays that have to be written so I would normally end up spending the majority of my Wednesday and a few hours a day on that - plus pulling all nighters in the library :confused: However a lot of the time, which also applied to me right now I have oral presentation and assessments to complete so I tend to try and spend my gaps in the day in between lectures on that really :L then everything else unfortunately has to just fit in around that!

Have you given any extra thought to the university you want to go to at all?

Any other questions let me know :smile:
Or private message if you would prefer!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
nufink is as hard as mafz.
Law involves hours of reading. Most of it fairly dense stuff.
It isn't the glamorous degree many people imagine.

Have a look at some of this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-for-Law-Students/lm/37XSISU75JVPI and you'll see the type of books you'll have to read for three whole years.

If you are interested in 'legal' but don't fancy something as intense as 'Law', there are other degrees - Criminology, Criminal Justice, Social Policy - or have a look at a joint subject degree, ie. 'Law and ...'.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending