The Student Room Group

Study in advance of access to science course

Hello,

I am starting an access to science course in September 2014 and would like to refresh my memory on the basics. I already have grade Bs in gcse double science awarded in 1999 but would like to self study gsce chemistry and biology.

I have looked at the Nelson thornes student textbooks but you have to buy the teachers book to obtain the answers, which are quite expensive. Are CGP textbooks any good and do they have the answers to questions posed in the books?

Any recommendations for other textbooks?

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi

I'm currently studying an access science course. I use a CGP book for biology and an OCR A As chemistry textbook and its helped a lot. I've got 6 distinctions so far in biology and 3 in chemistry. I also use the Internet for extra information. :smile:

The CGP textbooks come with the exam answers at the back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, have a look on eBay for used books and also Abebooks - they are amazing and very cheap too! I have got a couple of books from there for my Access course :smile:
Reply 3
If you've already got the GCSEs and just want to revise the subjects before starting then personally I'd stick to online resources and save your money. Bite size is good (and free) and has tests at the end of each subject. You can also download past papers from AQA and the mark schemes are on there as well. Good luck with your course :smile:
Reply 4
Hi,

To be honest, I am ashamed to say that I don't remember anything from my gcse days. I learnt enough to get a good grade but didn't retain anything. Hence, me want to self study.
Reply 5
Original post by ADAOBI123
Hi

I'm currently studying an access science course. I use a CGP book for biology and an OCR A As chemistry textbook and its helped a lot. I've got 6 distinctions so far in biology and 3 in chemistry. I also use the Internet for extra information. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have the CGP textbook or the revision book? Also, are you referring to the OCR a level chemistry book?
Reply 6
Original post by Lifechanger
Do you have the CGP textbook or the revision book? Also, are you referring to the OCR a level chemistry book?

I have the CGP revision guide for biology. And yes I'm referring to the OCR (A) A level chemistry textbook
Reply 7
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoa, that's really good girl. Doing same course Buh I've only gat 1 distinction so far. What uni you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Daprinxy
Whoa, that's really good girl. Doing same course Buh I've only gat 1 distinction so far. What uni you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey

I've applied for

DMU
Brighton
Kings
Sunderland
Bradford

I've applied for pharmacy.

Yourself ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hey

I've applied for

DMU
Brighton
Kings
Sunderland
Bradford

I've applied for pharmacy.

Yourself ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I applied for
Kings
Queen Mary
Westminster
Middlesex
UEL
Hope to study biomedical science Buh mehn this course ain't easy at all. What college you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I applied for
Kings
Queen Mary
Westminster
Middlesex
UEL
Hope to study biomedical science Buh mehn this course ain't easy at all. What college you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bromley college. You ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Bromley college. You ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tower hamlets college.. Oh Shii😬, so yhu Nigerian too? Lolz. What subjects do you do for your access course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tower hamlets college.. Oh Shii😬, so yhu Nigerian too? Lolz. What subjects do you do for your access course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes im Nigerian :biggrin:

I do: Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Study skills
Maths
English

You ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Bromley college. You ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another Naija lady here. lol

I have applied to Bromley college as it is close to me (although the access to science course is actually taught at the Orpington campus).

How do you find the teaching at Bromley college? How many credits does the access to science course give you?

I need 45 credits with 33 at distinction; 18 in chemistry and 15 in biology.

Thanks
Another Naija lady here. lol

I have applied to Bromley college as it is close to me (although the access to science course is actually taught at the Orpington campus).

How do you find the teaching at Bromley college? How many credits does the access to science course give you?

I need 45 credits with 33 at distinction; 18 in chemistry and 15 in biology.

Thanks

Oh wow. Helllooo :biggrin:

I'm finding the teaching okay but my chemistry and Physics teacher is not not the best but he's manageable :s-smilie: Just do the work on time and you should be fine.

I'm currently doing 12 in physics
18 in chemistry
18 in biology
So you'll be fine.

Which course are you applying for ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hi, I have a look on Amazon and they are amazing and very cheap too. I have got a couple of books from there for my course.

Thank you..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Oh wow. Helllooo :

I'm finding the teaching okay but my chemistry and Physics teacher is not not the best but he's manageable :s-smilie: Just do the work on time and you should be fine.

I'm currently doing 12 in physics
18 in chemistry
18 in biology
So you'll be fine.

Which course are you applying for ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be applying for nutrition and dietetics at uni starting in 2015. You?

Also, is the access course spread over two or three days? How many hours per day are you actually in lectures?
Reply 17
Original post by jaksonmith
Hi, I have a look on Amazon and they are amazing and very cheap too. I have got a couple of books from there for my course.

Thank you..
Infraredtraininginstitute

Thanks. Will take a look on Amazon.
I will be applying for nutrition and dietetics at uni starting in 2015. You?

Also, is the access course spread over two or three days? How many hours per day are you actually in lectures?

That's a good course. I know a few people who want to study the same course. I'll be looking to study pharmacy. :smile:

My access course is spread over 3 days. Wednesday - Friday. Each lecture is 2 hours long except for biology which is an hour and a half long. We have biology twice a week and the other subjects once a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
CGP books are brilliant!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending