The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Anybody aware of when UCL are planning to reply back to the rest of the applicants?
Original post by Bloxorus
I've been emailing the Nottingham admissions tutor and she said that all decisions will be made by the end of the week so you'll hear by the end of next week at the latest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

you sure?!

this is quite good, atleast i'll know now haha. if they give me an AAA offer, i'm going to be verrrryyy happy!
Reply 2802
Received an offer from Nottingham for econ today, really didn't think they would give me an offer for 38 points IB only! I was under the impression that most unis have some sort of requirements regarding HL grades, but apparently not. The better for me! Looks like it could be a perfect choice as insurance, should I fail to get a 6 in math HL.
Reply 2803
UCL just emailed me asking for my individual module grades over a month after I applied, and some people already have offers!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
you sure?!

this is quite good, atleast i'll know now haha. if they give me an AAA offer, i'm going to be verrrryyy happy!

Yeah, I've been talking to their admissions tutor and they said decisions will be made be at the end of the week.

Praying for an AAA offer to insure with, probably won't get one, though, hehe.
Original post by ross95
UCL just emailed me asking for my individual module grades over a month after I applied, and some people already have offers!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, many other people (including me) applied 3 months ago and haven't been asked for UMS at all. :smile:
Soooo happy, I've got 4 out of of my 5 university offers just over a month of applying!
Manchester
Glasgow
Loughborough
and Swansea, just waiting on East Anglia! xx
Original post by SusanRose7
Soooo happy, I've got 4 out of of my 5 university offers just over a month of applying!
Manchester
Glasgow
Loughborough
and Swansea, just waiting on East Anglia! xx

Congrats, well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pro Crastination
Yeah, I've been talking to their admissions tutor and they said decisions will be made be at the end of the week.

Praying for an AAA offer to insure with, probably won't get one, though, hehe.

I emailed them a while back asking why they said A*AA-AAA, they replied saying the lower offer is for those with extenuating circumstances. Make of that what you will. If you'd like I can copy and paste their exact email?
Got all my offers through now. Do I risk all by firming & insuring two A*AA offers in the hope that one will accept me if I miss the grades or should I pick the AAA offer as insurance?
Original post by Yllasjarvi
Got all my offers through now. Do I risk all by firming & insuring two A*AA offers in the hope that one will accept me if I miss the grades or should I pick the AAA offer as insurance?

I wouldn't count on anywhere for economics accepting you if you don't get the grades. Pick your favourite and then one you still like but has lower grades.
Don't choose an insurance that has lower grades that you don't want to go to. If that means firming and insuring two A*AA unis then so be it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't count on anywhere for economics accepting you if you don't get the grades. Pick your favourite and then one you still like but has lower grades.
Don't choose an insurance that has lower grades that you don't want to go to. If that means firming and insuring two A*AA unis then so be it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I'm thinking of risking two A* AA offers as one doesn't specify what the A* has to be in. If both reject me, I can try clearing - is there anyway of finding out which Econ courses were in clearing last year?
Original post by Yllasjarvi
At the moment I'm thinking of risking two A* AA offers as one doesn't specify what the A* has to be in. If both reject me, I can try clearing - is there anyway of finding out which Econ courses were in clearing last year?

I'm not sure, try google.
Although I do know that Durham has been in clearing 2 years in a row now so that's a possibility!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure, try google.
Although I do know that Durham has been in clearing 2 years in a row now so that's a possibility!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I know there's no guarantee Durham will be in clearing this year, but I think that's made my mind up. I'm going to go for the A*AA choices. After going to the open days last Summer, I felt quite despondent as the Econ tutors giving the talks were all saying how heavily oversubscribed their courses were and how they nearly everyone who applied met the requirements & how difficult it is to choose between people. It kind of put me off applying to places like Durham, Warwick etc. It almost seemed like they were discouraging you. For anyone thinking of applying for next year, based on my experiences, I would say go for it.
Original post by NedStark
I emailed them a while back asking why they said A*AA-AAA, they replied saying the lower offer is for those with extenuating circumstances. Make of that what you will. If you'd like I can copy and paste their exact email?

No, it's fine, thanks though. I've asked them before. It just seems odd that a large proportion of TSR applicants are reporting AAA offers. I'm probably viewing it that way because that's what I'm hoping for :3
Reply 2815
On the topic of firm/insurance, if you choose 2 A*AA offers, and miss it, is the insurance uni less likely to accept you because they were only your insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ross95
On the topic of firm/insurance, if you choose 2 A*AA offers, and miss it, is the insurance uni less likely to accept you because they were only your insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not. If you were a strong applicant and only missed a grade by a few ums, and a lot of applicants missed their offer, they would probably rather take you than put places up on clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there really any logic in firming AND insuring with A*AA offers, though? Surely if you miss it you'll have to go into clearing or try a third year? I'm just thinking it's a little naive to assume that your insurance will DEFINITELY have spaces left for marginal candidates, and that insurers will come before firmers if it came to that.

I distinctly remember from a Bath econ talk being told that if you are firming Oxbridge/LSE, don't insure with Bath, because the grade offer is (roughly) the same, and if spare spaces are available for candidates who have fallen just short, firmers have the priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, just read the last few posts. Surely with clearing you're not going to be able to get onto anywhere near as good courses, though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pro Crastination
Is there really any logic in firming AND insuring with A*AA offers, though? Surely if you miss it you'll have to go into clearing or try a third year? I'm just thinking it's a little naive to assume that your insurance will DEFINITELY have spaces left for marginal candidates, and that insurers will come before firmers if it came to that.

I distinctly remember from a Bath econ talk being told that if you are firming Oxbridge/LSE, don't insure with Bath, because the grade offer is (roughly) the same, and if spare spaces are available for candidates who have fallen just short, firmers have the priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some unis specify the A* to be in a certain subject (Cambridge, LSE, UCL) whereas others may let you get the A* in anything, so you could still get into the insurance if you miss the firm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending