The Student Room Group

You're a GCSE student... Tell Us Everything :)

I thought it might be useful to start a discussion for GCSE students across the UK where you share info about your homework and revision habits to compare what other people do.

How much homework do you do per week? (in hours)
Is that more or less than your school expects?
Do you ever revise when you haven't been asked to?
Do you procrastinate but worry about revising while you do?
Does homework and revision stress you out?
Are there subjects you find it easier to learn?
What helps you learn the best?
Do you feel you're doing better or worse than other people in your class?
Reply 1
Original post by AlphaNick
- I get roughly 5-6 bits of homework per week which is usually about 2 hours of work in total. It's not a big deal to be honest. It varies a huge amount, in some subjects I am guaranteed a piece of homework per week, such as maths = 1 past paper per week, and languages I have to learn one page of vocabulary in the Edexcel booklet per wek, but the rest fluctuate a huge amount. I think I've never even got homework in at least two subjects..

- I think our school expects one piece of homework for every single subject, so no they don't really fulfil the school's expectations. But they aren't very strict on it at all. I find that teachers usually set homework to cover things which we can easily do at home. Our biology teacher basically asks us to do the 'how science works' part of the AQA textbooks at home because they're relatively simple...

- Yeah I do revise a lot when I'm not told to. I don't do it for any particular reason really, I just like to be on top of everything. Typing up notes helps me memorise these notes as well.

- Yeah sometimes, it is quite hard to get me started on revision, but the fact that I have my own detailed notes on almost every subject means that I can afford to expend this time. I sometimes spend weekends just waiting until the last 6-hour slot to do some homework because it is very boring, but with smaller homeworks I tend to just do them right away...

- From time to time, but not too often. I get stressed when I've got one long piece of homework, not when I have lots of small ones. Revision doesn't usually cause me to get stressed.

- I find all subjects really easy except for English Literature and Spanish. The sciences are easy to me because I am good at typing notes and memorising the answers, mathematics is quite straight-forward and I have good notes too, history and geography are quite simple concepts to me, and Chinese is something which for no reason at all I'm good at. I think it is because of my good memory.

- Typing up my own notes for each subject, even if I've already made those notes in my book. I then do past papers, and not much else. I get my dad/mum to test me on my revision notes, and I sometimes read my textbook again.

- Better, I'm fully prepared to start revising for 8/11 of my GCSEs. I usually get better grades than everyone, but there are inevitable times where I don't. I've got the highest in the class before and I've got middle in the class... it varies depending on each test. For Chinese I am ahead of everyone by far, and with the sciences I'm running at the same pace but I retain the information really well. I'm behind a bit in maths because I just make so many silly mistakes which is annoying.

Hey AlphaNick,
Thanks so much for such a detailed reply - that's all really interesting :smile: You sound like you're really on top of your studies and have got into some good practices that are doing well for you.
If you're ever not feeling motivated to revise or study, how do you motivate yourself?
Chinese sounds really interesting - did you choose to study that or does everyone have to?
Original post by Captain Jack
I thought it might be useful to start a discussion for GCSE students across the UK where you share info about your homework and revision habits to compare what other people do.

- Not that much compared to people from neighbouring schools. It depends on the week obviously but anything from none up to about 2. The homework we get usually doesn't take very long to complete - simply worksheets or single exam questions etc. The only REAL hw we really get is in English which takes a while, but we very rarely get homework for english. Personally I have to spend a while on GCSE Astronomy as I'm self teaching it, so about 5/6 hours a week for that.

- My school doesn't really have an expectation as to how much homework we should do. But I think I remember them saying about 4/5 hours a week?

- Yes, especially when leading up to exams. The next 5/6 months leading up to the exam period I will be increasingly be spending time revision.

- I used to be like this, but have recently changed. I feel more motivated to do well in my exams so I tend to combat the procrastination and just get on with revision. I do however procrastinate a lot with English - The essay homework we get is just so dull :frown:

- Homework doesn't really apart from English, as mentioned before it's really dull and my teacher is super strict. Revision doesn't stress me out because I can work at my own pace and for most subjects I do actually enjoy learning and find the syllabus interesting.

Subjects I take in order of difficulty from hardest to easiest:

English lit (A already achieved but retaking)
English Language (Got full marks A* on 40% already)
Additional science
French (got A* in 60% already)
Science
Business
Astronomy
P.e
Maths (A* already achieved)
Statistics

You can probably see I'm better with numbers rather than my literary skills:rolleyes:

- I don't really have a unique/special technique, just reading over textbooks and key points tends to help them get into my head. Obviously lots of past papers help.

From coursework and past exams I'm the top in my class/year for English, but I know that when it comes to the exam I DEFINITELY won't be. There are far better people in my class who can come up with amazing essays in a flash. I just can't do that - I only do well with time and planning, evident in the fact that I only do well in coursework ahah :frown:. French I believe I'm the top. Science MAYBE apart from the triple science group. Business isn't a subject I particularly like so I'm not sure how well I'm doing compared to others (There's this business buff in my class) P.e I'm second in practical and first in theory. Astronomy I'm the only one taking it so.. Maths I think I got the top grade in the year? not sure. Overall I think I'm doing well but could do better if I put in more revision time and enthusiasm (I don't really like P.e theory or Business, wish I'd taken triple science and History instead:frown:)
Original post by AlphaNick
I don't really know how to get motivated it is quite on and off to be honest. It doesn't just come like that, it is a really random start.

As for Chinese, those who were exceeding at Spanish in year 7 were given the opportunity to study either German or Chinese as a second language. So I decided to choose Chinese and I don't regret it at all. It's a really simply-conjugated language with almost everything being regular. We also did an exchange trip to Beijing which was the best experience I've ever had. I really think more people should get the opportunity to study it.

So jealous you got to do that man :frown: I wish I'd started Chinese at an early age or had it available to me at school. It's a super useful language and is just much more interesting, in my opinion, that most European languages!
Reply 4

Total, about three hours at worst, most of which I do in 'geography' (basically frees). I hope to go to a grammar sixth form so it may well change!

Probably less.

Regularly. I'm typing up my revision flashcards (which I swear by) now so I don't panic closer to exam time. I do a lot in form as well.

Yes, normally either with a Guardian crossword or a terrible iPad app game. I worry a little, but not excessively.

Homework - pretty much never. Thanks to the joy of having frees, I've only done about three pieces of homework at home since September.
Revision - occasionally, but (touch wood) I'm doing well in all my class tests so I should be OK.

For me, Further Maths and Italian. I have a knack with maths and I knew most of the Further Maths stuff already, so I started to self-teach A Level in class out of boredom. My teacher's really good and gives me a lot of support, I'm currently midway through C3.
I started Italian GCSE this year as I polished off French in year 10. I already speak passable Italian so I naturally find it quite easy, so I pretty much just surf the Italian side of the net in class, and occasionally revise things for other subjects. It works surprisingly well.

My current revision and learning method is pretty much a lot of mnemonics stored within a rather Sherlockesque mind palace (which very much works in real life but takes effort to set up). I then regularly test myself with flashcards, and lots of them. My projected total is about 1200 for this summer.

Without wanting to sound vainglorious, I got the best results in the year last summer (7 A*s and a slightly awkward B), and with a decent amount of revision I hope to get the total to about 14 by the end of the year. I do have a good deal more exams though, so it might not work out that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Homework, what's that? :tongue: I barely even get homework anymore. When I do it's always just to revise or it's a booklet. It varies but usually only about 5 hours a week (an hour a day, usually short worksheets for Science or a long page for Engilsh). When I get homework to revise for an exam I'll revise 2 pages a day (2 hours a day).

My school expects us to revise mainly, which is what I do anyway so I think revision wise I think that's about equal of what my school wants. As for homework they don't ask for any specific amount of hours, so long as it's done and to a decent standard they don't ask for anything more.

Only if I have an exam that I think is important. For example if I have a practice exam that determines sets I'll revise even if not asked to because it's important; where as if it's something like a small topic test I don't see much point, because I can usually get a B or A without revision for most subjects topic tests and they don't count for anything so that's fine with me, since they're usually done at the end of the topic whilst it's still fresh in my mind.

I tend to do that a lot I guess, I'll procrastinate and spend a while thinking how I should revise but don't. I usually do get around to it though and when I do revise I tend to get enough done, and not procrastinate too much, but I will get lazy and start staring at the ceiling at points. :rolleyes:

Sometimes subjects such as Maths or when I'm doing a hard topic in Science I can't grasp I'll get extremely annoyed and I'll try everything, YouTube, asking my friends on WhatsApp, anything in attempt to try and understand it. If not then give up or if I ever have the confidence on a good day ask my teacher. Usually YouTube and asking my smarter friends works fine for me. Homework doesn't really stress me out, just a bit annoying at points but these days teachers don't even hand out homework anymore or just don't care if you don't do the homework.

English is the easiest for me, don't even revise, love it. RS comes second which is stupidly easy too and requires no revision at all and I find it so easy to learn. Graphics after that then Science, Geography then finally Maths and Art coming last. Art isn't hard to 'learn' - I'm just rubbish at Art and hate it. Don't know why I chose it as an option, BIG mistake.

Visual or practical demonstrations of the process I'm trying to learn or colourful diagrams. :biggrin: When things are short and simple or put short and simple, also. Hence why I love CGP guides and depend on them completely because they make the most dull things that we need to learn slightly bearable.

Mainly better, but in depth:
Art - WORST grade in the entire class
RS - Better for sure!
Graphics - Better
Maths - Better
English - Average/Equal (Set 1 so everyone is on an A* pretty much)
Science - Better
Geography - Average
ICT - Better

Depends on the influx of how much I receive, generally 4 or 5 pieces of 30 min homework, although many homework include continuing work related to coursework.

They just expect us to complete the homework, but expect around an hour or two on each GCSE subject

Yeh I just sometimes look over books so I can remember content in case we have a surprise test.

Yeh sometimes like now!:biggrin:I'm supposed to be carrying on my history coursework but I'm too busy on TSR...

Not really unless I have multiple homework/revision to do.

Maths, I love the subject! and RE is quite easy to do cos it's just four topics a section of which you learn different perspective.

Umm various websites, but I just read my revision books.

Not to sound arrogant but I feel I'm doing quite good.

Quick Reply

Latest