The Student Room Group

University of Manchester vs Queen Mary University of London

Both Universities are Russell Group, how ever which University do you think is better in terms of:

1) Reputation (Both in the UK and Internationally)
2) Graduate jobs/opportunities/salary
3) Location
4) future predictions for the Universities. (Whether they will improve or not in the coming years)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Both are great imo - go visit them and see which one feels better to you
Reply 2
Both good Unis but I love London and the fact that Queen Mary is a campus Uni.
Subject? Course?

PS> You don't have to make Firm/Insurance choices for MONTHS.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Subject? Course?

PS> You don't have to make Firm/Insurance choices for MONTHS.

Finance related...
Reply 5
Manchester by a mile. Queen Mary is only really good for law and the fact its a `London uni`. Manchester is respected all around and has a better night life. QM doesn't have many clubs at all they mostly rely on clubs in London, which aren't really linked with the uni anyone can go to them. Manchester is a well known Russel group uni, QM just recently joined along with Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ppeter
Both Universities are Russell Group, how ever which University do you think is better in terms of:

1) Reputation (Both in the UK and Internationally)
Manchester, for both, and Manchester does tend to do better internationally than domestically on top of that.

2) Graduate jobs/opportunities/salary
Manchester has the best careers service in the country (according to the Times) and is the uni that is most targeted by graduate employers.

3) Location
London is ridiculously expensive, and Mile End is really quite rough. Rents in Manchester will be around a half to a third of what you'd pay for an equivalent property near QMUL. Uni of Manchester is close to the city centre, has lots of nightlife, a guaranteed place in halls, and a large student population, meaning that there are a lot of things that are geared towards students.

4) future predictions for the Universities. (Whether they will improve or not in the coming years)
I think they're both going to improve TBH

^Answers in bold above.

None of what I say means that I think QMUL is bad, it's just that I'd opt for UoM unless there's a very big reason not to that you haven't mentioned yet e.g. you prefer QMUL's course.
I'm at Queen Mary and would say Manchester by a mile.

Queen Mary is in Mile End, a really run down area in London full of cheap fast food places infested with mice. London is ridiculously expensive on a night out and the area looks like a run down South Asian country.

Manchester is student friendly, and if you like to chase skirt like myself, you'll find going up North will make it easier to get laid. Manchester is a large city too, with cheap accommodation and cheap nights out. So while the student loan is less for living in Manchester, it is disproportionately more expensive to live in London.

In this explanation I did forget that you're after an education and if you want that , Manchester arguably has more leverage although Queen Mary is no slouch with both being in the Russell Group
I went to Manchester and looked around Queen Mary when I was applying. I'd say Manchester has a better reputation most definitely.

I prefer London as a city to Manchester by a big margin but Queen Mary is in one of the worst areas of London. So if you are looking for london life Queen Mary probably isn't the best

Cons of Manchester: It's a very big uni and there isn't much of a community feel which always bothered me. It's not the most friendly place. However this is a personal taste I suppose. Also if you are after a multi-cultural uni I wouldn't pick Manchester. I expected it to be multicultural but it isn't overly mixed.
Original post by abc95
Manchester by a mile. Queen Mary is only really good for law
Posted from TSR Mobile

Dead wrong. The medical school (Barts and the London) beats Manchester on all counts:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by abc95
Manchester by a mile. Queen Mary is only really good for law and the fact its a `London uni`.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Like the person above said, the medical school of QMUL is incredible. But tbh, it doesn't matter what medical school you go to, you're guaranteed a career as a Doctor after it.
Reply 11
I know that Queen Mary is in a bad area of London, but you can get to central London in 10 minutes !! I would have thought that Queen Mary will have the massive advantage of being a London University and being located in the Capital of finance (London) surely the location on its own opens up a number of different opportunities....
Reply 12
I would even choose Manchester for Law over QM.

Manchester is a great Uni, great location at the heart of the City.

only real advantage QM has is being London, but its hardly at the heart of the city.

One thing I will say is QM in some subjects artificially inflate grade requirements so that students think its hard to get in/a better uni. law for example, they ask for A*AA, were in clearing at AAB in 2013

QM is a very good Uni no doubting that, but Manchester is clear winner for me.

I myself have got an offer from Manchester which I won't be accepting, and its a shame as I love the city and the vibe. Can only do undergrad at one place !
Original post by GrahamRodney
Dead wrong. The medical school (Barts and the London) beats Manchester on all counts:smile:

Original post by AnharM
Like the person above said, the medical school of QMUL is incredible. But tbh, it doesn't matter what medical school you go to, you're guaranteed a career as a Doctor after it.

Possibly - but it's completely irrelevant to the OP, who wants to do something finance related.
Reply 14
Original post by Origami Bullets
Possibly - but it's completely irrelevant to the OP, who wants to do something finance related.

We're only arguing of your statement that QMUL is only good for Law and being a 'London uni', when in fact, they are also good for Medicine and Dentistry.
Original post by AnharM
We're only arguing of your statement that QMUL is only good for Law and being a 'London uni', when in fact, they are also good for Medicine and Dentistry.

That wasn't my statement, that was abc95's statement.

However, I do agree that QMUL isn't only good for law.
Reply 16
Original post by ppeter
I know that Queen Mary is in a bad area of London, but you can get to central London in 10 minutes !! I would have thought that Queen Mary will have the massive advantage of being a London University and being located in the Capital of finance (London) surely the location on its own opens up a number of different opportunities....

OP, Uni of Manchester is a better university overall. I think it has better recognition internationally, and the university is regarded highly for employers. I live a road away from QMUL, and I wouldn't look twice at it if I were to consider what universities I would go to. I don't even think that the 'London uni' would help in any case.

Graduate from Uni of Manchester > Graduate from QMUL.

I would also say that Cass Business School, City University has much better job prospects in the finance sector, because they have great contacts to the city.

In my opinion, London unis that will give you a great start to a career in the finance sector in order are: LSE, Imperial, UCL, King's College London, Cass Business School, QMUL...
Reply 17
Original post by Origami Bullets
That wasn't my statement, that was abc95's statement.

However, I do agree that QMUL isn't only good for law.

My bad, it's 1am in the night, I wasn't looking at the names properly...
Original post by AnharM
My bad, it's 1am in the night, I wasn't looking at the names properly...

No worries :smile:
Read all of this - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices

You have MONTHS to make this choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending