The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
It's the 'finest' I can afford right now >_>

The tenth man of S

What's all that about? Please tell me there aren't 9 more of you.

I'm sure you could afford something that actually falls under 'fine' dining :tongue:

Maybe there are :laugh: It was an old saying insprised by someone :moon:
1) There's few Turks on TSR.

This, despite being a sizable minority population in the UK. There is a lot of talk in the media about how Black Britons underperform in education, but Turkish Britons tend to do even worse. A lack of educational achievement usually correlates with a lack of educational interest, so Turkish Britons are unlikely to flock to TSR in their numbers.

hollywoodbudgie
2) The few ones that do seem to only post about food.

Exactly. I would bet that 90% of posts in this thread would involve kebap in one form or another. Talk about playing to stereotypes...

Little to no one here care that Galatasaray have been drawn with Chelsea, and Trabzonspor with Juventus; the corruption scandal that is going on in Turkey's parliament; Turkey's involvement in Syria; its inclusion in MINT; nor share experiences of trips to Turkey; the history of the Ottoman Empire, Great Seljuk Empire, the Gokturk Empire; the linguistics of Turkish and its connections with the other Turkic and Altaic languages;....

...No, it's kebap. It's only ever about kebap! :cry:
Lets be honest, were it not for kebab this thread wouldn't exist
Original post by RamocitoMorales
This, despite being a sizable minority population in the UK. There is a lot of talk in the media about how Black Britons underperform in education, but Turkish Britons tend to do even worse. A lack of educational achievement usually correlates with a lack of educational interest, so Turkish Britons are unlikely to flock to TSR in their numbers.

I think 90% of Turkish girls I know have decided to become hair dressers :tongue:

Is this a parenting fail?

Little to no one here care that Galatasaray have been drawn with Chelsea, and Trabzonspor with Juventus;

I knew GS would get Chelsea. :colonhash:

the corruption scandal that is going on in Turkey's parliament; Turkey's involvement in Syria; its inclusion in MINT; nor share experiences of trips to Turkey; the history of the Ottoman Empire, Great Seljuk Empire, the Gokturk Empire; the linguistics of Turkish and its connections with the other Turkic and Altaic languages;....

...No, it's kebap. It's only ever about kebap! :cry:

Society chats tend to be more social I suppose, though I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the bold matter

EDIT: Also, look at the society description you wrote :colonhash:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by S-man10

Maybe there are :laugh: It was an old saying insprised by someone :moon:

Is it based on the idea that when nine people agree on something, it’s the tenth man’s responsibility to disagree no matter how improbable the idea is? :holmes:

donxuan
x

:wavey: Join us Turks here
Is it based on the idea that when nine people agree on something, it’s the tenth man’s responsibility to disagree no matter how improbable the idea is? :holmes:

Perhaps. It is what you make of it :iiam:

To me it just sounded catchy
Reply 2866
Guys, quick question, but be honest please, If non Turk (but Turkish speaking) heard you speaking Turkish and came up to you and said hi, what would you think?? I saw few Turks around the uni, I really wanted to go to them, say hi, but then they might think differently and I end up embarrassing myself. There is no Turkish society in my uni btw :frown:
Is this a parenting fail?

No, I think that Turkish parents place paramount importance unto education. It's not so much to do with the culture of those who actually hail from Turkey, but rather it is more to do with the chav-esque nature of Turkish youth in this country which is somewhat problematic.

hollywoodbudgie
I knew GS would get Chelsea. :colonhash:

I think Mourinho got there first.

hollywoodbudgie
Society chats tend to be more social I suppose...

You mean 'more shallow'?

hollywoodbudgie
...though I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the bold matter

I am embarrassed to admit that I do not feel I know enough about the matter to make an educated comment on it.

hollywoodbudgie
Also, look at the society description you wrote :colonhash:

'Does that kebab need some more chilli sauce? If so, then why not come in here and I'll add in some salad too.'

:facepalm2:

hollywoodbudgie
Join us Turks here

Who's that, your boyfriend? :giggle:

INurl
Guys, quick question, but be honest please, If non Turk (but Turkish speaking) heard you speaking Turkish and came up to you and said hi, what would you think??

I'd think 'oh, a fellow Turk with whom I can breed...hello :hubba:'

INurl
I saw few Turks around the uni, I really wanted to go to them, say hi, but then they might think differently and I end up embarrassing myself.

What's so embarrassing about saying 'hi'? They'd only be grateful. You need to stop being so self concious and act like a man!

INurl
There is no Turkish society in my uni btw

Maybe we go to the same uni... :hmmm:
Reply 2868
No, I think that Turkish parents place paramount importance unto education. It's not so much to do with the culture of those who actually hail from Turkey, but rather it is more to do with the chav-esque nature of Turkish youth in this country which is somewhat problematic.

I think Mourinho got there first.

You mean 'more shallow'?

I am embarrassed to admit that I do not feel I know enough about the matter to make an educated comment on it.

'Does that kebab need some more chilli sauce? If so, then why not come in here and I'll add in some salad too.'

:facepalm2:

I'd think 'oh, a fellow Turk with whom I can breed...hello :hubba:'

What's so embarrassing about saying 'hi'? They'd only be grateful. You need to stop being so self concious and act like a man!

Maybe we go to the same uni... :hmmm:

:eek:
I'll try, next time when i see turkish girls, I'll go to them and say hi!
haha Scotland is loong way from where I study :frown:
Original post by lNurl
I'll try, next time when i see turkish girls, I'll go to them and say hi!

Boys need love too. :naughty:
Reply 2870
Boys need love too. :naughty:

Turkish boys are attractive enough to receive it without any trouble :rolleyes:
Original post by lNurl

Usually, yes :sexface:

Pity most are chavs :sigh:

No, but he calls me mysterygirl and wants to know where I live :dontknow:

Original post by lNurl
Guys, quick question, but be honest please, If non Turk (but Turkish speaking) heard you speaking Turkish and came up to you and said hi, what would you think?? I saw few Turks around the uni, I really wanted to go to them, say hi, but then they might think differently and I end up embarrassing myself. There is no Turkish society in my uni btw :frown:

I'd say hi back :tongue:

Why the interest in Turkish women? :holmes:

Also, how comes you know how to speak Turkish?
Reply 2872
Usually, yes :sexface:

Pity most are chavs :sigh:

No, but he calls me mysterygirl and wants to know where I live :dontknow:

I'd say hi back :tongue:

Why the interest in Turkish women? :holmes:

just to be friends, nothing more :smile:
Original post by lNurl

Too bad the women let us down...

Spoiler

hollywoodbudgie

I believe she's Azeri, so she probably speaks Azerbaycan Türkçesi.
Reply 2874
Too bad the women let us down...

Spoiler

I believe she's Azeri, so she probably speaks Azerbaycan Türkçesi.

How to change flag in my profile :colone:

true true, but I speak turkish too, A* from A levels :redface: proud... but when I am nervous I will mix up azerbaijani to turkish :colondollar:

Most people can understand turkish in azerbaijan, but cannot speak, unless they have satellite where they can watch turkish drama 24/7
Original post by lNurl
true true, but I speak turkish too, A* from A levels :redface: proud... but when I am nervous I will mix up azerbaijani to turkish :colondollar:

I got an A, so that's quite commendable (or I just did very poorly).

INurl
Most people can understand turkish in azerbaijan, but cannot speak, unless they have satellite where they can watch turkish drama 24/7

Well, we have 'Azeri TV' in Turkey. I remember watching 'A Knight's Tale' dubbed in Azerbaycan Türkçesi and I understood the vast majority of it. The pattern seems to be that you replace the 'b' with the 'm', so you say 'menim' instead of 'benim', for instance. As well as 'yakşı' instead of 'iyi', 'çox' instead of 'çok', etc. But I imagine that with a bit of time and dedication a Turkish speaker could learn Azeri without too much trouble, and vice versa (not to take away from your own achievement).
Reply 2876
I got an A, so that's quite commendable (or I just did very poorly).

Well, we have 'Azeri TV' in Turkey. I remember watching 'A Knight's Tale' dubbed in Azerbaycan Türkçesi and I understood the vast majority of it. The pattern seems to be that you replace the 'b' with the 'm', so you say 'menim' instead of 'benim', for instance. As well as 'yakşı' instead of 'iyi', 'çox' instead of 'çok', etc. But I imagine that with a bit of time and dedication a Turkish speaker could learn Azeri without too much trouble, and vice versa (not to take away from your own achievement).

yes, it's hard for turkish to learn azeri, because of the sounds, we have all the sounds and letters you have, but you dont have the letter Q or X (i think). We never start word with ı but you do. We have the letter ğ with sounds completely different to your ğ
Original post by lNurl
We have the letter ğ with sounds completely different to your ğ

Interesting, I never knew about this before and I just looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%9E
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_fricative

In the second article it mentions that although the sound is deleted in most Turkish dialects (which indicates that it exists in some). After listening to the demonstrative recording I think I actually know someone from Cyprus who pronounces the ğ something like that.

Istanbul Turkish, I think, is a very easy language. Incredibly few complications per se.

RamocitoMorales
...[discussion of] the linguistics of Turkish and its connections with the other Turkic and Altaic languages...

Booyakasha!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2878
Interesting, I never knew about this before and I just looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%9E
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_fricative

In the second article it mentions that although the sound is deleted in most Turkish dialects (which indicates that it exists in some). After listening to the demonstrative recording I think I actually know someone from Cyprus who pronounces the ğ something like that.

Istanbul Turkish, I think, is a very easy language. Incredibly few complications per se.

Booyakasha!

Yes, in the second article for azeri they put the word Ağac, its same in turkish but when i tried to pronounce it in turkish you kinda lose that letter, it's like you are saying 2 a with pause in the middle, but for us its sound similar to X - H. Also, another fact if you are interested, we never start a word with ğ like ı
Original post by lNurl
Also, another fact if you are interested, we never start a word with ğ like ı

We don't start any words with ğ either. But for ı, I can think of 'Ilık', off the top of my head.

Quick Reply

Latest