The Student Room Group

physics

Why do earth quakes happen ?
Original post by esther.lautner17

Welcome to TSR.

I would suggest you first use Google and do some research of your own.
There is plenty of information on the web!

If there is then any physics you don't understand, come back here and ask for help.
Original post by Stonebridge
Welcome to TSR.

I would suggest you first use Google and do some research of your own.
There is plenty of information on the web!

If there is then any physics you don't understand, come back here and ask for help.

Ok thanks
Original post by esther.lautner17

Have you ever heard about tectonic plates? if they thrust and rub against each other earth quakes come into being.
Original post by AlphaNick
1. The decay of nuclear substances in the Earth produces heat.
2. This heats the liquid mantle which forms a convection current.
3. These convection currents circulate beneath the crust.
4. These circulations cause massive forced to be built up as potential energy.
5. When this energy is released, it is usually as an earthquake.

And what about tectonic plates? or is it just another cause?
Original post by Kallisto
And what about tectonic plates? or is it just another cause?

This is really geology

Heat in the earths core causes convection currents in the mantle. These currents pull (can't think of a better word) on the tectonic plates and cause them to move across the surface of the earth.

Nearly all earthquakes occur at plate boundaries. The different plates are moving past each other in different directions and at different rates. If they slid past each other with no friction we would have no earthquakes. However they have a tendency to get stuck. This halts the movement building stress. The energy stored in the stress eventually overcomes friction and releases as seismic waves (earthquakes). The longer the build up of stress, generally, the larger the magnitude of the earthquake

Sorry this isn't explained very clearly but I'm tired. I'm sitting a mock on this tomorrow though so I need to know it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest