The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Some unis specify the A* to be in a certain subject (Cambridge, LSE, UCL) whereas others may let you get the A* in anything, so you could still get into the insurance if you miss the firm.

I understand that, that's why I said "roughly", I'm just wondering why it would make any sense if a candidate wasn't sure they'd get at least 1 A*.
Some unis specify the A* to be in a certain subject (Cambridge, LSE, UCL) whereas others may let you get the A* in anything, so you could still get into the insurance if you miss the firm.

That's why I'm thinking of firming UCL but if I miss the A* in Maths but get it in say Physics, I will have met the insurance offer from say Warwick which doesn't specify the A* subject.
Original post by Yllasjarvi
That's why I'm thinking of firming UCL but if I miss the A* in Maths but get it in say Physics, I will have met the insurance offer from say Warwick which doesn't specify the A* subject.

Exactly, I'm in a similar position to you.
Original post by Pro Crastination
Congrats, well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
How's things with you, university offers, firm/insurance choices?
Original post by SusanRose7
Thanks!
How's things with you, university offers, firm/insurance choices?

Fine thanks. Four offers, got my firm FIRST ^_^. Just waiting on the last offer to see if I can insure with it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my offer letter from Cambridge.
A*A*A in 2 of Maths, Further Maths and Economics, B in Chemistry, 7.5 in IELTS with at least 7 in each element.
A little bit demanding. Econ can be a hit and miss really, because of the essays (doing AQA) so aimimg to get A*A* in Maths and FM.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by purplemind
Got my offer letter from Cambridge.
A*A*A in 2 of Maths, Further Maths and Economics, B in Chemistry, 7.5 in IELTS with at least 7 in each element.
A little bit demanding. Econ can be a hit and miss really, because of the essays (doing AQA) so aimimg to get A*A* in Maths and FM.

Finally! :biggrin: I guess you can have an A*AA as insurance now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Finally! :biggrin:. I guess you can have an A*AA as insurance now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In this case I will, I was really hoping for a nice A*AA offer. :tongue:
Fine thanks. Four offers, got my firm FIRST ^_^. Just waiting on the last offer to see if I can insure with it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham still haven't responded to me haha, how about you?
Original post by Fas
Nottingham still haven't responded to me haha, how about you?

They are deciding on Friday. I have been talking to their admissions tutor, I will get an offer, it just depends whether it is for L100 or L160 (Economics and International Economics BA/Bsc). Praying for it to be AAA or my negotiations have been fruitless - unless they do some sort of 'firm and we'll drop it by a grade' thingy, then I might actually do that - even though I prefer Bath :3.

I would feel like such a traitor, though. Hehe.
They are deciding on Friday. I have been talking to their admissions tutor, I will get an offer, it just depends whether it is for L100 or L160 (Economics and International Economics BA/Bsc). Praying for it to be AAA or my negotiations have been fruitless - unless they do some sort of 'firm and we'll drop it by a grade' thingy, then I might actually do that - even though I prefer Bath :3.

I would feel like such a traitor, though. Hehe.

ah ok, fair enough. haha what negotiations are these? :wink:
Original post by Fas
ah ok, fair enough. haha what negotiations are these? :wink:

They emailed me telling me I was a marginal/maybe candidate for L100 and said that they'd definitely be able to give me an offer for another course in the school, just not definitely L100 its self.
They emailed me telling me I was a marginal/maybe candidate for L100 and said that they'd definitely be able to give me an offer for another course in the school, just not definitely L100 its self.

wow... which means i'm almost definitely getting rejected. FANTASTIC
Original post by Fas
wow... which means i'm almost definitely getting rejected. FANTASTIC

Not necessarily. I mentioned the topic in my PS and they suggested another course.

Besides, we both have our firm, right? Odds are the offer will be A*AA and it won't matter either way :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2834
So Nottingham are definitely either rejecting or giving offers to all applicants on Friday?
Original post by abcd1711
So Nottingham are definitely either rejecting or giving offers to all applicants on Friday?

I think there may be a few more offers handed out after that, but I believe most L100 offers are being sorted out this Friday.
Reply 2836
I think there may be a few more offers handed out after that, but I believe most L100 offers are being sorted out this Friday.

Waiting for friday now. :3
I got sent this from Nottingham just now so hopefully this will also clear things up! :h:

Good luck :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1389816660.956417.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope their reading of TSR doesn't lead to me receiving a rejection. Obviously it's up to them as to what grade offering they give, and the odds are it will be A*AA, but it would be fantastic to have such a great insurance lined up.

OR, I could be wooed by a 'firm with us and we'll knock it down to AAA.' I'll be quiet now :3.
I hope their reading of TSR doesn't lead to me receiving a rejection. Obviously it's up to them as to what grade offering they give, and the odds are it will be A*AA, but it would be fantastic to have such a great insurance lined up.

OR, I could be wooed by a 'firm with us and we'll knock it down to AAA.' I'll be quiet now :3.

Ahaha!! I'd laugh if they had seen you saying that you want an AAA offer and as a result, give you an A*AA offer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending