The Student Room Group

Motion sickness

Hello, I have this awful condition called motion sickness and was wondering does anyone know any other solutions how to cope with it?

I have booked trip to visit my family next week and will be flying on plane, then at least 3-4 hours with bus through 2 different cities to my town. I already have tabs from travel sickness but are there any other additional ways to reduce it?

I have tried eating less or just light food, tried mints (I constantly need to chew mint candies in order to feel less sick). I can't even go on bus for long journeys, it's worse if I try to go on a bus on empty stomach :ahhhhh:

Boots had fantastic tabs but they are not producing then anymore and this sucks :erm:
Reply 1
Can you get Dramamine in Britain? If so I would recommend that. Otherwise, when you're in the car (or bus), keep your eyes on the horizon.

Edit: if you're flying, I guess all you can do is try your best to go to sleep.
(edited 10 years ago)
Go to sleep.

Think positively.
Reply 3
Original post by keromedic
Go to sleep.

Think positively.

The last time I thought positively, I threw up in the middle of London after my first trip with plane :colondollar:
Original post by ForgetMe
The last time I thought positively, I threw up in the middle of London after my first trip with plane :colondollar:

Have you ever taken anti-emetics?
You should try and sleep throughout the journey. Do not, I repeat DO NOT talk to anyone else who feels motion sickness, it just makes you feel sicker. Reading does this too so I'd suggest staying away from reading. I usually put in my headphones and listen to music on a really low volume level and shut my eyes, it helps a little.
Chewing gum helped me quite a lot, better than mints as you need to constantly chew.
Reply 7
Out of curiosity, what were the tablets you used to get from Boots called?
I have motion sickness sometimes and I have these tablets called 'Kwells' they work like a CHARM. I feel like if you keep thinking/worrying about being sick, the feeling will get worse. Distract yourself with music and all will be well (:

Hope I helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've had motion sickness since I was younger (I once threw up from eating a single sweet...), although it's got a lot better. I actually thought I'd grown out of it until I suddenly got it really badly with a car journey recently. Couldn't even sleep because every time I closed my eyes it got ten times worse, so yeah, sleeping is not necessarily a solution. What I find helps the most is looking at the road ahead (except on planes, where it's the opposite and it's looking out of the window that makes me feel sick since the plane doesn't usually feel like it's moving much otherwise unless there's turbulence) and trying not to move my head around/look around too much and just keep my eyes focused on one point on the horizon.

Apparently over the wing has the least movement on a plane, so you could ask the flight attendant if they can see if they can swap someone so you can sit there (or if there are free seats in that area after take off if the flight's not full then see if you can move).

Also, if it's that bad, maybe you can visit your GP before you go and see if they can prescribe you something stronger than what you can get over the counter?
Reply 10
Have you ever taken anti-emetics?

What are those?

Original post by MovieAddictx
You should try and sleep throughout the journey. Do not, I repeat DO NOT talk to anyone else who feels motion sickness, it just makes you feel sicker. Reading does this too so I'd suggest staying away from reading. I usually put in my headphones and listen to music on a really low volume level and shut my eyes, it helps a little.

Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Chewing gum helped me quite a lot, better than mints as you need to constantly chew.

Original post by Rx_Sarcasm
Out of curiosity, what were the tablets you used to get from Boots called?

Can't remember the exact name but the packaging was grey with few pictures on it. Boots discontinued them, but they worked wonders! One tablet was enough for the whole day!

Original post by WeirdlyWonderful
I have motion sickness sometimes and I have these tablets called 'Kwells' they work like a CHARM. I feel like if you keep thinking/worrying about being sick, the feeling will get worse. Distract yourself with music and all will be well (:

Hope I helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:

Original post by heidigirl
I've had motion sickness since I was younger (I once threw up from eating a single sweet...), although it's got a lot better. I actually thought I'd grown out of it until I suddenly got it really badly with a car journey recently. Couldn't even sleep because every time I closed my eyes it got ten times worse, so yeah, sleeping is not necessarily a solution. What I find helps the most is looking at the road ahead (except on planes, where it's the opposite and it's looking out of the window that makes me feel sick since the plane doesn't usually feel like it's moving much otherwise unless there's turbulence) and trying not to move my head around/look around too much and just keep my eyes focused on one point on the horizon.

Apparently over the wing has the least movement on a plane, so you could ask the flight attendant if they can see if they can swap someone so you can sit there (or if there are free seats in that area after take off if the flight's not full then see if you can move).

Also, if it's that bad, maybe you can visit your GP before you go and see if they can prescribe you something stronger than what you can get over the counter?

Oh yes moving is terrible, I once accidentally raised my head at the same time when plane was changing direction and got so sick :puke: I've bought priority boarding so that I could choose the best seats possible :smile: Because once the only seats available were near engine and it was so awful.. I might check tomorrow going to work with a bus and taking few motion sickness tabs and see how they work. If not, I might go and see my GP.

What are those?

Here you go.
Can't remember the exact name but the packaging was grey with few pictures on it. Boots discontinued them, but they worked wonders! One tablet was enough for the whole day!

Was gonna see if there was an equivalent if you could remember.
I agree that hyoscine which is in kwells is pretty effective, so yeah try that on your bus tomorrow and see what you think.

anti-emetics are basically anti sickness tablets, your gp can prescribe them, usually something like cyclizine or promethazine.

also have you seen this page?
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Motion-sickness/Pages/Treatment.aspx
most of it's fairly common knowledge or has been mentioned, but have a look if you're bored!
Reply 13
Here you go.

Original post by Rx_Sarcasm
Was gonna see if there was an equivalent if you could remember.
I agree that hyoscine which is in kwells is pretty effective, so yeah try that on your bus tomorrow and see what you think.

anti-emetics are basically anti sickness tablets, your gp can prescribe them, usually something like cyclizine or promethazine.

also have you seen this page?
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Motion-sickness/Pages/Treatment.aspx
most of it's fairly common knowledge or has been mentioned, but have a look if you're bored!

I'll do, sir :sexface:

I'll do, sir :sexface:

You're darn tootin'!

Quick Reply

Latest