The Student Room Group

Psychology question

I've applied for the University of Bath for Psychology and their GCSE req. is English: A and Maths: A

I got English: A And Maths: B

Does this mean I won't get in? I have their A level requirements.
Reply 1
Have you taken AS Maths? If not, then retake Maths GCSE this June?

When is the latest entry date for June 2014? (Edit: WJEC final date to apply is 21 Feb 2014)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Holmstock
Have you taken AS Maths? If not, then retake Maths GCSE this June?

When is the latest entry date for June 2014? (Edit: WJEC final date to apply is 21 Feb 2014)

College doesn't let me re-take because I got higher than a C. Also, no I haven't. I have taken Biology and Psychology though?
Original post by collegeryan
College doesn't let me re-take because I got higher than a C. Also, no I haven't. I have taken Biology and Psychology though?

Can you not pay to re-take the exam?
Reply 4
Original post by cinnamon&cheese
Can you not pay to re-take the exam?

I can, but they don't allow it unless you have lower than a C.
Reply 5
I can, but they don't allow it unless you have lower than a C.

You do not have to take it at your current college/school. My niece needed GCSE Maths for Bath and she took it last year (in her AS level year) at another college who were accepting independent candidates solely to sit the exam. This was in London, so there was a reasonable amount of choice. Check at nearby centres - sixth form colleges, private schools etc.

Let Bath know that you are retaking it, and if they give you an offer, they'll just add the GCSE to the conditions of the offer. Do contact Bath about this, you want to avoid getting an auto-rejection from them on this point.
Reply 6
Original post by Holmstock
You do not have to take it at your current college/school. My niece needed GCSE Maths for Bath and she took it last year (in her AS level year) at another college who were accepting independent candidates solely to sit the exam. This was in London, so there was a reasonable amount of choice. Check at nearby centres - sixth form colleges, private schools etc.

Let Bath know that you are retaking it, and if they give you an offer, they'll just add the GCSE to the conditions of the offer. Do contact Bath about this, you want to avoid getting an auto-rejection from them on this point.

I've looked at other options, the only place that allows it is very far from me and it's not financially viable sadly.
Reply 7
I've applied for the University of Bath for Psychology and their GCSE req. is English: A and Maths: A

I got English: A And Maths: B

Does this mean I won't get in? I have their A level requirements.

If you look at this page:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/psychology/entry-requirements/

- it not only says that these are required, it later says that A grades in GCSE Maths and English are essential. This is likely to mean that the course itself involves quite a bit of Maths, so it seems unlikely that they would waive this requirement.

Is this the course you applied for? Did you apply anywhere else, and do you meet the entry requirements for those others? If Bath do reject you because of your GCSE Maths, what are your alternatives? Do you think it might be worth taking a year out to improve the Maths GCSE and reapply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending