The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Le Nombre
Me and my mate were in a private school the other day judging their debate. We both went to comps :wink:

Op: Generally they're more confident and a bit more naive in my experience, the difference is far from drastic.

Is that meant to prove something? I already acknowledged that my statement didn't apply to every school out there but on the whole you'd be an idiot to disagree with my claims.

The naive thing is a misconception. If anything we know more about the value of money, there are no free school dinners, uniforms/trips or free this or free that. Many of my friends have jobs even. :rolleyes:
Original post by Red one
Is that meant to prove something? I already acknowledged that my statement didn't apply to every school out there but on the whole you'd be an idiot to disagree with my claims.

The naive thing is a misconception. If anything we know more about the value of money, there are no free school dinners, uniforms/trips or free this or free that. Many of my friends have jobs even. :rolleyes:

You really are naive aren't you? Jeez. As if to prove a point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
The one thing that stands out to me whenever I meet people from private school is their confidence. I attended an award ceremony once where a large majority were privately educated and I was completely surprised when random people approached me, asking to shake my hand and asking me my name and stuff.

I'm pretty much like that, I enjoy meeting new people! :smile:

Original post by itssimplyme
You'll be fine, just be yourself! You don't need to pretend to be something you're not :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having visited the school, I'm actually so chilled about going there. Everyone seemed pretty generally nice and eager to get on with others. However, people have been saying to me "Private school people are so snobby and they won't like you because you live in a council house." It certainly didn't seem like that when I was there, but then again, maybe they were putting on a front.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kidomo
Usually the one that consistently scores the highest marks across all subjects:smile:

Seriously? :tongue: I thought this was just a stereotype!
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Really? Even with my sexuality and social background?

1.) Sexuality: Trust me, dude, you'll probably have a better time there. Homophobia and biphobia tend to be less bad at private schools than state schools from my experience (I'm bisexual). The stereotype that everyone at private schools is gay is untrue, but founded on true principles. Because the intelligence of people is higher on average, they're less likely to be homophobic. The only biphobia I've experienced has been from people outside my school, in the nearby state (obviously, most people at state schools aren't homophobic, but it's more rife there).

2.) Social background: People genuinely won't care. And if you're worried, you don't have to tell them. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Obiejess
You really are naive aren't you? Jeez. As if to prove a point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quote me when you've got the slight semblance of a sound argument.
Original post by paradoxicalme
1.) Sexuality: Trust me, dude, you'll probably have a better time there. Homophobia and biphobia tend to be less bad at private schools than state schools from my experience (I'm bisexual). The stereotype that everyone at private schools is gay is untrue, but founded on true principles. Because the intelligence of people is higher on average, they're less likely to be homophobic. The only biphobia I've experienced has been from people outside my school, in the nearby state (obviously, most people at state schools aren't homophobic, but it's more rife there).

2.) Social background: People genuinely won't care. And if you're worried, you don't have to tell them. :smile:

That's good to know! I know homophobia probably won't be that bad, but would males be friends with someone who is not straight, for example?

Oh no, I will tell them, I want to be open. I was just wondering if they'd think I was a loser because my family's not very wealthy! :smile:
Reply 27
Private school kids play cricket much better than state school kids in general, they play rugby union rather than league (blasphemous in the League heartland that is Yorkshire). In my experience they shop at Barbour and Reiss and Jack Wills, wear Y-3s or Sperry's on their feet. They know that polo is played in chukkas (a fact many commoners are not privy to). They reminisce usually fondly of school grounds and boarding. Some of them go foxhunting or clay pigeon shooting on their grounds (seriously). They tend to talk posher regardless of origin, I guess its just posho amelioration? Cashmere jumpers are always bang on trend to them and they say daddy past the age of 5. They also tend to look aspirationally at ostentatious watches and shotguns which most people would require a mortgage to purchase.
Original post by Red one
Quote me when you've got the slight semblance of a sound argument.

:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red one

That sometimes the tables are turned. That 93% of the popuulation are animals and chavs? I'm an idiot then.

It's not, I have a lot of friends from independents, they generally don't get things like the average wage, that people age 12 have sex or how to handle yourself in a fight, when it vaguely kicked off in a club (rarely anything severe on a student night) they'd get in a right flap and be convinced they were about to get stabbed. Uniform and trips aren't free at state schools. How does having a job prove you're not naive? I am from a similarly middle class background to private school kids, my parents didn't send me as they though the local school was good enough (my dad ran it, couldn't really say anything ese), and without having been to such a school I know I would be naive, regardless of having a job and so on.

i go to a private school (and straight) and whilst i wouldnt say it's homophobic, i get the impression coming out in a private school seems far more scary than a state school. Private school kids are on the whole far quicker to judge and are slightly less accepting and most have adopted fairly conservative esque views in that sense. i guess in life you fear what you don't know though right
That sometimes the tables are turned. That 93% of the popuulation are animals and chavs? I'm an idiot then.

It's not, I have a lot of friends from independents, they generally don't get things like the average wage, that people age 12 have sex or how to handle yourself in a fight, when it vaguely kicked off in a club (rarely anything severe on a student night) they'd get in a right flap and be convinced they were about to get stabbed. Uniform and trips aren't free at state schools. How does having a job prove you're not naive? I am from a similarly middle class background to private school kids, my parents didn't send me as they though the local school was good enough (my dad ran it, couldn't really say anything ese), and without having been to such a school I know I would be naive, regardless of having a job and so on.

Whilst I agree with your point, I don't think you have to be a private schooler to 'not get' that 12 year olds are doing the frick frack :tongue:
Whilst I agree with your point, I don't think you have to be a private schooler to 'not get' that 12 year olds are doing the frick frack :tongue:

Yeah, to be fair that was the ones who went to boarding school rather than day boys, though one of them genuinely guessed the average age to lose your virginity was 21!
Original post by yoitsro
i go to a private school (and straight) and whilst i wouldnt say it's homophobic, i get the impression coming out in a private school seems far more scary than a state school. Private school kids are on the whole far quicker to judge and are slightly less accepting and most have adopted fairly conservative esque views in that sense. i guess in life you fear what you don't know though right

I think it depends on the school. Mine's pretty liberal (maybe to do with it being all girls?) so coming out here felt far less scary than I think it would've in the nearby state. I dated someone from said state school, and the one time the topic came up he would basically be passive-aggressive and try to make me be ashamed of it ('my friends will make fun of me', 'please don't tell anyone, they'll give me **** about it'). I've never gotten anything like that here.
Original post by yoitsro

I get what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35

All important life lessons that the ol' state school can teach I'm sure, what with the rampant violence and underage pregnancies. :rolleyes: I'm not sure whether to laugh or take that statement seriously, did you read your post through?

Should I continue talking with you or are you another crazed stalker?
:dontknow:
Reply 36
I don't know many people from private schools and used to thing they looked down on people from state schools but i met a girl from one this summer and she was surprisingly really nice and normal.

Although she didn't know what a foundation exam was and had never been to kfc.
Reply 37
I've been to both private and state and honestly I think if your in a good grammar or state school you are better off.

I appreciate that I had a private education and whilst I know I was given amazing facilities, when I moved to state school for sixth form, I realised just how sheltered I had been. I had never come across drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancy etc in school and I had never had proper independence as I had been sheltered from private school so much and they pretty much took care of everything. I know things like drugs and alcohol seem like a small thing but I think that they really bring you into the real world. Not only that but I think that the private school was sheltered from things like bullying aswell, it was almost unheard of at private school.

In terms of the people, I think in a state school you meet a variety of people, I hate to say it but a lot of the people in the private school were snobs and spoilt, they had everything they wanted and never had to think 'what if' I think when going to a state school, reality really hits you.
Original post by Red one
All important life lessons that the ol' state school can teach I'm sure, what with the rampant violence and underage pregnancies. :rolleyes: I'm not sure whether to laugh or take that statement seriously, did you read your post through?

Should I continue talking with you or are you another crazed stalker?
:dontknow:

Yes, because some people do really like fighting and sometimes they decide they'd like to hit you, in fact some of them even do it for money and call it mugging, knowing how to handle those situations is pretty useful.

Eh? So far as I'm aware this is the first time I've seen you on here, though I'm guessing from the fact you have an avatar you aren't totally new.
Reply 39
Original post by Red one

No offence, but I thought you were being naive in what you wrote before.

Latest

Trending

Trending