The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Any tips for MMIs?
Reply 1481
Does anyone know which diseases are most prevalent in London (or in the South in general)? I have googled it but can't seem to find any answers
Reply 1482
Original post by Ke299
Does anyone know which diseases are most prevalent in London (or in the South in general)? I have googled it but can't seem to find any answers

Probably similar to most of Britain
-coronary heart disease
-cancer
-stroke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1483
Original post by 9967
Probably similar to most of Britain
-coronary heart disease
-cancer
-stroke

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply :smile: sorry should have been more clear I mean are there any that are more prevalent in London than anywhere else? All the London med schools mention the 'diversity' so are there diseases that you see in London but not in the rest of the uk?
Reply 1484
Original post by Ke299
Thanks for your reply :smile: sorry should have been more clear I mean are there any that are more prevalent in London than anywhere else? All the London med schools mention the 'diversity' so are there diseases that you see in London but not in the rest of the uk?

Maybe TB? I know babies in some (if not all) london boroughs are still routinely offered the BCG vaccination.
Reply 1485
Original post by Slsam
Maybe TB? I know babies in some (if not all) london boroughs are still routinely offered the BCG vaccination.

Ahh ok thanks!!
Reply 1486
What should your 'greatest weakness' be like? I have thought about my over-competitive nature sometimes and given example of how it affected me and how it can be beneficial if used in the right balance. Any ideas?
Original post by SiMan
What should your 'greatest weakness' be like? I have thought about my over-competitive nature sometimes and given example of how it affected me and how it can be beneficial if used in the right balance. Any ideas?

As long as you can put a positive spin on it and it isn't a reaaaaaally bad thing then it's fine :smile:

Just don't be cliche like 'I'm a perfectionist'.
Reply 1488
Original post by letsbehonest
As long as you can put a positive spin on it and it isn't a reaaaaaally bad thing then it's fine :smile:

Just don't be cliche like 'I'm a perfectionist'.

Yeah I really tried to steer away my reasoning from the 'perfectionist' approach. thanks!
Reply 1489
Can they ask you very similar questions more than once in one interview?
For example, What are your weaknesses? and What two things would you change about yourself? Even though they may be a little different, they can require using the same idea and example. So... 1) would you get situations like this? 2) If so, can you use the same example/idea twice?
Reply 1490
Does anyone know another name for proxy when used in healthcare? It's on the tip of my tongue but I'm finding it hard to remember! Dyslexic!
Reply 1491
What thoughts and feelings might face someone offered alcohol to celebrate after receiving a liver transplant?

A person with learning disabilities is regularly being teased by neighbours, how might it affect them?

What do you guess an overweight person might feel and think after being told their arthritis is due to their weight?

A friend tells you he feels bad because his family has always cheated to obtain extra benefits - how would you respond?

I am clueless on the questions above. Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Patient anonymity

When discussing cases from your work experience, does any one have any idea about how to approach the sensitive details? E.g. If you wanted to discuss the way that a doctor approached a certain case, would you be allowed to give details of the case such as the illness, treatment plan and the way that the patient responded?

Original post by lindseyyy
Patient anonymity

When discussing cases from your work experience, does any one have any idea about how to approach the sensitive details? E.g. If you wanted to discuss the way that a doctor approached a certain case, would you be allowed to give details of the case such as the illness, treatment plan and the way that the patient responded?

That's fine, as long as you don't reveal any patient identifiable/confidential information.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
That's fine, as long as you don't reveal any patient identifiable/confidential information.

Yes but by "confidential", what do you mean? Surely the entire consultation was confidential? Obviously I will not name the patient or give any clues to their identity, but due to the sensitive nature of the consultations I saw I would assume that everything I saw was confidential?
Original post by lindseyyy
Yes but by "confidential", what do you mean? Surely the entire consultation was confidential? Obviously I will not name the patient or give any clues to their identity, but due to the sensitive nature of the consultations I saw I would assume that everything I saw was confidential?

Any information which can be tracked back to the patient.

If you're that worried, use another less sensitive case.
If you got X amount of money, what medical research would you carry out?
Reply 1497
Original post by letsbehonest
If you got X amount of money, what medical research would you carry out?

Treatment/ cure for dementia, its said to treble by 2050 - imagine wht impact this would have on the NHS.
Reply 1498
Can anyone give me an example of role play for MMI?
Original post by Sam_1996
Can anyone give me an example of role play for MMI?

You have to go over to your neighbour's house and explain that you ran her cat over and it died. Upon this discussion, it emerges that the cat belonged to her deceased husband and had strong sentimental value to her.

Think I saw that as an example somewhere :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending