The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plainview
Cannot wait for Inherent Vice this year.

Why? Like what do you know about the film, not much on IMDB about it.
Original post by danny111
Why? Like what do you know about the film, not much on IMDB about it.

PTA, based on a Pynchon book, with Joaquin Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin and more. What's not to like?
PTA, based on a Pynchon book, with Joaquin Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin and more. What's not to like?

Don't know who Pynchon is, but okay. The cast does sound good.
Don't know who Pynchon is, but okay. The cast does sound good.

Postmodernist novelist who wrote Gravity's Rainbow amongst others. Pretty interesting guy.
The Lone Survivor.

But then again I don't yet know films to be released in the summer and later.

Heard that's meant to be very much a US military propaganda film.
Original post by Stylo92
Heard that's meant to be very much a US military propaganda film.

Yea because they checked every part of it to make sure no "classified" material was given away.

I mean at the end of the day it's just a film that shows the SEALs to be quite badass and having a sense of comraderie, something any Hollywood film could give out.

Also if it is supposed to be propaganda, I wouldn't have shown the part where they just let these guys go and tell the Taliban. They could just as well have taken them prisoners and taken them up the mountain til they can radio in, then release when a heli is on the way. That way the Taliban would never have caught up with them before the heli makes it there and all they would have done is temporarily taken the freedom of sympathizers of an enemy force. Hardly earth-shattering and something they already did anyway for a time before they let them go...

That was a pretty dumb decision, even if they tried to make it out how it was the "moral" decision because they didn't kill them.
Reply 9086
Just watched the Costa Gavras film Missing. Perhaps not the best-made film in some parts - the sense of drama was a bit uneven, with some unnecessary Hollywoody melodrama sticking out against a film that was otherwise very low-key in tone, and indeed perhaps a bit too low-key in some places with the very minimalist editing sometimes not serving the narrative that well - but with enough substance to feel very significant indeed. I for one am pretty interested in the subject matter and was thus pretty drawn to it emotionally. Fine performance from Jack Lemmon as well.
I am quite looking forward to the Academey Award nominations on the 16th :cute:

Although prior to that time (if time permits it) I'd like to watch the critically acclaimed film 12 Years a Slave - I'll post my assertions later (although expect positive feedback).
Incendies 9/10

Amazing film. Incredible story, I really like how you see the mother's flashbacks as the daughter learns more about her.
Reply 9089
Original post by Iamyourfather
I am quite looking forward to the Academey Award nominations on the 16th :cute:

Although prior to that time (if time permits it) I'd like to watch the critically acclaimed film 12 Years a Slave - I'll post my assertions later (although expect positive feedback).

I think this'll be pretty much expected from everyone going to see it. I'm supremely hyped myself.
Is Her out in UK cinemas yet? Possible exception of 12 Years, haven't been this excited to see a new film in ages (Gravity was more of a lovely surprise).

EDIT: **** IMDb says Valentines. Cheeky but annoying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Is Her out in UK cinemas yet? Possible exception of 12 Years, haven't been this excited to see a new film in ages (Gravity was more of a lovely surprise).

EDIT: **** IMDb says Valentines. Cheeky but annoying.

Haha, me too!
I'm not sure why I even try to take the Globes seriously. Jennifer Lawrence had no business winning this award.
I really want to know who votes. I mean I like Lawrence but I agree, not sure if she deserved this one.
Reply 9094
Original post by ProgFeanor
I'm not sure why I even try to take the Globes seriously. Jennifer Lawrence had no business winning this award.

I don't know why anyone does. :yawn:

There are some points where I feel the same way about the Oscars, though.
Original post by Abiraleft
I don't know why anyone does. :yawn:

There are some points where I feel the same way about the Oscars, though.

Yea that Amy Adams one was a joke.
Reply 9096
The problem with American Hustle was the script and direction of the thing. Thought the acting was good on the whole, Adams and Bale esp, but they all had lifeless, stationary characters.

Of course these awards won't always (usually?) reflect what is best and a big part will be down to quality of a nominee's campaigns.
At least a somewhat redeeming finish.
Original post by ProgFeanor

I've haven't seen American Hustle so I cannot comment on this. I didn't watch the Globes either.

Although based on general consensus, it seems as though Lupita Nyong'o should have been the worthy winner. I have a itching feeling her performance in 12 Years A Slave will completely blow me away. I've watched a few of her interviews and she is a person who I aspire to be like :daydreaming:
Original post by Iamyourfather
I've haven't seen American Hustle so I cannot comment on this. I didn't watch the Globes either.

Although based on general consensus, it seems as though Lupita Nyong'o should have been the worthy winner. I have a itching feeling her performance in 12 Years A Slave will completely blow me away. I've watched a few of her interviews and she is a person who I aspire to be like :daydreaming:

She was my personal favorite. Her performance was just gut-wrenchingly powerful, while Lawrence just kinda played a caricature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending