The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Littlelegs0
Hi, Im new to student room and was after some advice please. I was unsuccessful at Edge Hill due to lack of experience and was wondering if any of those with interviews at Edge hill or anywhere else could offer some advice as to what kind of experience they are looking for. The experience I already have is:

Community First Responder for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service since 2010
Work as a Home Care Assistant in the community
Also work part time as an Advanced First Aider for a private ambulance firm covering events.
Done 14 observational shifts with Yorkshire Ambulance Service
Completed serval first aid courses.

any help who be greatly appreciated. thanks x

When it comes to applying university's are not just looking for medical experience. They look to see a range of placements, and working with a varied age range

So basically you want to work with every one, everywhere. So trying working with patients with mental health, learning disabilities, elderly, children. This can be in day centres, schools, out of school clubs, nursing homes or hospital and even hospices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't list, I explained what skills /attributes I gained from the experiences. Didn't even get to interview stage :frown:

If you didn't get to the interview stage then it was probably something to do with how your personal statement was written.
Reply 122
How long does it usually take to get a response after sending your application off? I sent mine off last week and applied for Brighton, Plymouth, Greenwich, St George's and Teeside. I'm too nervous/excited I hope it doesn't take too long!
Reply 123
Original post by Tomlinso
How long does it usually take to get a response after sending your application off? I sent mine off last week and applied for Brighton, Plymouth, Greenwich, St George's and Teeside. I'm too nervous/excited I hope it doesn't take too long!

I heard back from both Greenwich campuses and Manchester Edge Hill within a week or so, but the dead line for UCAS is tomorrow so i would expect you'll hear something pretty soon.
Reply 124
I'm currently hitting refresh on my emails upwards of ten times a day. I sent my ucas around the 10th of December to Sheffield, Northampton, Herts, Greenwich and Surrey. So far I've had an interview offer from Greenwich, but I haven't heard a thing from the rest. I'm nervous because I've seen that so many people already have offers!
Reply 125
Original post by Mellis94
I'm currently hitting refresh on my emails upwards of ten times a day. I sent my ucas around the 10th of December to Sheffield, Northampton, Herts, Greenwich and Surrey. So far I've had an interview offer from Greenwich, but I haven't heard a thing from the rest. I'm nervous because I've seen that so many people already have offers!

Greenwich is my favourite so well done so far! What's your background work experience wise?
Reply 126
Greenwich is my favourite so well done so far! What's your background work experience wise?

Thanks! I'm an EFA with the BRC, but I've only been with them since September. I've been looking to do first responding and am in the process of fundraising / setting up a sub-group for my area. However, my previous job was in web-design :tongue:
I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in with enthusiasm and good grades.

How about yourself? Hopefully you'll get an interview for the 12th of Feb. Would be good to know a friendly face on the day!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 127
Aw I'm sure you'll be great! How old are you if you don't kind me asking?
Reply 128

I got an interview from Teeside exactly 3 hours after I applied!
And an unconditional the day after the interview! They don't hang around! Don't know about the others though :-)
Good luck with your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Aw I'm sure you'll be great! How old are you if you don't kind me asking?

I'm 19. Dropped out of a-levels, worked for two years, now on an access course. What qualifications and experience do you have?

As for replies as far as I'm concerned no reply is far better than a rejection.
Reply 130
I've done a foundation degree in exercise health and fitness in relation to education. Work experience wise I'm a lifeguard, worked as a support worker for elderly people with dementia and did work experience in the hospital near me in the stroke unit, resus, fracture clinic and cardio respiratory unit. Hope that's enough!
Reply 131
Hi, Im new to student room and was after some advice please. I was unsuccessful at Edge Hill due to lack of experience and was wondering if any of those with interviews at Edge hill or anywhere else could offer some advice as to what kind of experience they are looking for. The experience I already have is:

Community First Responder for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service since 2010
Work as a Home Care Assistant in the community
Also work part time as an Advanced First Aider for a private ambulance firm covering events.
Done 14 observational shifts with Yorkshire Ambulance Service
Completed serval first aid courses.

any help who be greatly appreciated. thanks x

Hi,

With only limited positions, Uni's have to reject some people and I suspect that generic answers are given. I have had a couple of rejections with different reasons so I suppose it can depend on who is reading it and what they are looking for. With regards to experience, you seem to have plenty but I would say that whilst clinical experience is great, it is not the most important aspect. Any experience can be relevant and what is important is how you can demonstrate this and link it to the role; this also demonstrates your understanding of the role you are applying for. For this reason, how you present this in your personal statement is crucial. Hope this helps :wink:
Reply 132
Original post by Snortle
I've had my interview at Staffordshire in December and been offered a place so I can tell you exactly what should happen :wink:
You get there, put a sticker on with your name on, take a maths test (non calculator) then have a break, after the break you have a group discussion over a given senario then go for lunch. After lunch they tell you who has got through to individual interview and then after that you get an interview time (on that day). I was lucky enough to be first and after your interview you are free to go. You find out roughly two weeks (I wait 17 days) later if they offer you a place through email. :smile:
Hope this helps and your interview goes well!

Congrats on getting in, I've got an interview at Staffs on the 28th, how many people were in the group for the discussion?
Reply 133
Original post by trying hard!!
hi guys i have an interview on 12th march at edge hill paramedic practice. any info about the day will be greatly appreciated i am a mature student and this will be my first time in applying for uni….
any help would be great thanks
and goods luck to all

Edge Hill have a series of aptitude assessments including; numeracy and literacy test, a group exercise and a communication station. Following these, there is a formal panel interview.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 134
Do any of you know whether Greenwich Avery Hill campus has a fitness test at interview, and if so what it involves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul6962
I heard back from both Greenwich campuses and Manchester Edge Hill within a week or so, but the dead line for UCAS is tomorrow so i would expect you'll hear something pretty soon.

I heard back from Coventry within about 2 or 3 days, which was really quick because when i applied for the same course last year it was a good couple of weeks before i heard anything from any uni! I am just waiting to hear from my other 4 choices now!
Original post by XLynseyBX
PS? Personal Statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any joy with interviews?
Reply 137
Original post by Andiepandie
Any joy with interviews?

Hi guys

I have 3 interviews for Greenwich, St George's and Oxford Brooke's. Anyone already had theirs?
I have an interview for Coventry next week, starting to worry about it now!
Reply 139
Original post by amandachloe18
I have an interview for Coventry next week, starting to worry about it now!

Most of mine are in February! Good luck hope it goes well, I'm already panicking about mine!

Latest