The Student Room Group

What's happening to SOAS, University of London?!!?!

This university used to be regarded as one of the best (not Oxbridge/LSE) but pretty well regarded. It still is relatively well regarded but for the past couple of years it has been falling down the league tables like a stone. I mean it was even ranked 6th not too long ago and now its not even in the top 20.

It's just something I've noticed looking at league tables.
So is this evidence for the decline of SOAS or evidence for the weakness of 'league tables'?
Reply 2
More and more politically active people are going there, who are very noisy but not necessarily very smart. The whole pace is permeated by activism and the union is an absolute trainwreck.

This makes it an unpleasant place for the type of student who isn't that political or might have other interests.
Original post by ageshallnot
So is this evidence for the decline of SOAS or evidence for the weakness of 'league tables'?

I guess so but league tables are still a decent indication of how good a University is (well as good as we will get). In 2012 it was ranked 13th for law and now it is 39th:eek:
I was going to ask the same question! I was actually thinking of applying but chose Queen Marys instead (bad choice but ya know it doesn't matter now). I checked the other day for ranking and I was like Huh>? i thought it was top 10 material apparently not anymore...
Original post by adamsmithqm
I guess so but league tables are still a decent indication of how good a University is (well as good as we will get). In 2012 it was ranked 13th for law and now it is 39th:eek:

OK, assuming these tables are of any use at all...

The CUG has SOAS at 39th for Law; the Guardian ranks SOAS 30th but I don't know if that represents a fall.

Looking at the detail, the CUG gives it a poor score for Student Satisfaction. The Guardian also is relatively low and the overall mark is particularly bad for 'satisfied with feedback'. Student Satisfaction has problems in that students generally have nothing to compare their experience with; the percentage filling in the questionnaires on which this score is based is often low; plus some unis actively encourage their students to put down high scores so it looks as though they went to a 'good' university. It could be that SOAS has a problem in this area, but it might not.

OTOH, if you look at employment rates SOAS does as well or better than 7-8 unis above it in both tables.
Reply 6
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
I was going to ask the same question! I was actually thinking of applying but chose Queen Marys instead (bad choice but ya know it doesn't matter now). I checked the other day for ranking and I was like Huh>? i thought it was top 10 material apparently not anymore...

Queen Mary is a really good Uni.
Original post by b0x3s
Queen Mary is a really good Uni.

better than soas?
Read the opening posts on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372 and you'll see how meaningless League Tables actually are.
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending