The Student Room Group

Feeling rather in despair

I looked up the estimate of how much I could get when I go to university and because of my dad's income I have only enough really to cover my rent and nothing more. Thing is he isn't exactly going to buy me all my food and stuff but I won't have anything for that.
I'd get roughly about £5000 maintenance loan and all the rents are around that. So I can't buy food, or travel home.

So all my hard work to getting into university is for nothing because I can't bloody afford to go. :/ I've been crying all afternoon.

I just don't know what to do. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Kelz
I looked up the estimate of how much I could get when I go to university and because of my dad's income I have only enough really to cover my rent and nothing more. Thing is he isn't exactly going to buy me all my food and stuff but I won't have anything for that.
I'd get roughly about £5000 maintenance loan and all the rents are around that. So I can't buy food, or travel home.

So all my hard work to getting into university is for nothing because I can't bloody afford to go. :/ I've been crying all afternoon.

I just don't know what to do. :frown:

Hey,

it is perfectly possible you can work while you are at University and still do well!

What course are you hoping to be on and where? Don't give up just yet!

That rent looks very very expensive have you had a look at private accommodation at all?

Another option is you could defer and work for a year to save up some of your living expenses.
Reply 2
Original post by redferry
Hey,

it is perfectly possible you can work while you are at University and still do well!

What course are you hoping to be on and where? Don't give up just yet!

That rent looks very very expensive have you had a look at private accommodation at all?

Another option is you could defer and work for a year to save up some of your living expenses.

Private accommodation is about a grand cheaper but living off a 1000 pounds is still rather uncomfortable. And I know I can work but the likelihood of getting a job is very low, it is just so difficult to get a job these days.

I'm hoping to be doing Animal Behaviour at Anglia Ruskin. Cambridge accommodation prices are so high!
It's so frustrating that my dad's income is taken into account. Like they expect him to give me money although I am 19.
that rents rather expensive! what uni(s) have you got an offer for/firmed? also - when i worked out the estimate to see how much i'd get, i actually ended up with nearly £1000 more than i expected from student finance :smile:

i have to get private accommodation next year and its all really expensive to the extent i couldnt afford to live with my flatmates because they wanted a big house in a certain area and all the rents were way above what i could afford (their parents are paying for theirs ha ha ha) and im planning on trying to find a job to supplement myself while at uni.

i can understand why you might not want to risk that because there's no guarantee you'd find a part time job (all my previous attempts to find a part time job have been hopeless, but i have enough to get by as long as i keep to a strict budget, which is why im 'risking it') so the better option might indeed be to defer and work for a year to save up, as redferry suggested.

good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Kelz
Private accommodation is about a grand cheaper but living off a 1000 pounds is still rather uncomfortable. And I know I can work but the likelihood of getting a job is very low, it is just so difficult to get a job these days.

I'm hoping to be doing Animal Behaviour at Anglia Ruskin. Cambridge accommodation prices are so high!
It's so frustrating that my dad's income is taken into account. Like they expect him to give me money although I am 19.

ouch Cambridge. Have you got any back up offers up North?

I would suggest getting a part time job at Uni, or if you still aren't sure you can manage it defer for a year and work - if you are willing to take 0 hours contracts etc there is quite a lot of work out there.
Reply 5
Original post by vaguity
that rents rather expensive! what uni(s) have you got an offer for/firmed? also - when i worked out the estimate to see how much i'd get, i actually ended up with nearly £1000 more than i expected from student finance :smile:

i have to get private accommodation next year and its all really expensive to the extent i couldnt afford to live with my flatmates because they wanted a big house in a certain area and all the rents were way above what i could afford (their parents are paying for theirs ha ha ha) and im planning on trying to find a job to supplement myself while at uni.

i can understand why you might not want to risk that because there's no guarantee you'd find a part time job (all my previous attempts to find a part time job have been hopeless, but i have enough to get by as long as i keep to a strict budget, which is why im 'risking it') so the better option might indeed be to defer and work for a year to save up, as redferry suggested.

good luck

Cambridge is very expensive. It is silly.

I have offers from Anglia Ruskin, Liverpool John Moores and Writtle College. But I really wanted to go to Anglia Ruskin. I will try and see if I will get more than the estimate. I'm just so frustrated. I already had to wait a year to do a third year of a levels. University is my only chance to get out of my dead end town. :frown:
Reply 6
ouch Cambridge. Have you got any back up offers up North?

I would suggest getting a part time job at Uni, or if you still aren't sure you can manage it defer for a year and work - if you are willing to take 0 hours contracts etc there is quite a lot of work out there.

I have one at Liverpool John Moores but it is just too far away for me. :/
Reply 7
Original post by Kelz
I have one at Liverpool John Moores but it is just too far away for me. :/

Surely that is better than not going to Uni at all?

It's your call, but you need to have a can do attitude. Money doesn't appear from nowhere so I suggest maybe getting in touch with the uni to discuss it, see what support they have and whether they help students in finding part time jobs etc
Reply 8
Surely that is better than not going to Uni at all?

It's your call, but you need to have a can do attitude. Money doesn't appear from nowhere so I suggest maybe getting in touch with the uni to discuss it, see what support they have and whether they help students in finding part time jobs etc

It is I suppose but I don't want to be so far away that I can't travel home if I need to as public transport is ridiculous. I live all the way in Essex so it is incredibly far.

I don't mean to be difficult right now I'm just frustrated. I'm usually a lot more practical and level headed.
Reply 9
Original post by Kelz
It is I suppose but I don't want to be so far away that I can't travel home if I need to as public transport is ridiculous. I live all the way in Essex so it is incredibly far.

I don't mean to be difficult right now I'm just frustrated. I'm usually a lot more practical and level headed.

The country seems a lot smaller once you move away from home believe me. I live in Leeds now and London is really not all that far away!

I understand it is really hard when you badly want to do something and it might not work. Contact the Uni and talk it through, I'm sure you can work something out :smile:
Thousands of students get the minimum maintenance loan. They manage with part time work. If you want it enough you'll do it.
You could try to find some work for over the summer holidays to save up, along with getting some kind of work when you get there, make the most of your student overdraft (which should get you enough for a few months of food at least), sell things you don't need at a car boot or on eBay. Borrow money from family members and say you'll pay them back when you can - you may find that if they have savings they may be able to lend you some for the long term.

Have you actually asked your parents whether they would help you out? Chances are, they would be happy to. Of course, maybe not for everything, but even a few quid a week would help.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending