The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Don't know who to live with next year

Me and my flatmates are completely different people and there is a clique. They are not bad. We're just different - they party and go out almost every night, and I don't. We're all still nice to each other. But I am 100% sure they don't want to live with me next year.

So I need to explore other options. I really don't know who I can "click" with or people that'll simply have me. I know some people but they're already sharing a house with all their flat members and there's no more room. I should go to society events but Law is such a demanding course and it's really hard to make time to meet new people. And now it's a little late anyway.

Was anyone in this situation last time, are there any options I have right now? Or is there anyone who is at Exeter uni and in a similar situation?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like I'm in a similar situation with most of the people I know already beginning to choose houses for next year.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I wouldn't say I'm in exactly the same situation, but I know what you mean about next year. I currently live with masters students and third years, but I'm a first year, so they'll all be leaving next year and I'm going to be left with a house with nobody to take the spare rooms, or no house at all and trying to find people to live with. All my friends are planning to move in with their current flatmates.

Still, it's only November! People will be rushing around, but you need to remember that some people will drop out, or fail and not retake, so people will be left with empty rooms in their houses. I found my current house three days before fresher's week started!
Original post by Cryl
x

Original post by choppeh
x

Original post by tweedletallie
x

Quoting you all so you see this.

One option is to keep checking studentpad:

http://www.exeterstudentpad.co.uk/MessageBoard

Towards the end of the term you'll see a lot of people posting up on there who are either first years who are one short for the house they want, or have already paid a deposit on, or second/third year groups who are staying in the same house but have one or two people leaving, so potentially you could find something there.

The other obvious option would be to go for off-campus student halls. There are multiple companies that operate halls of residence in Exeter, all of which are pretty newly built, pretty good value for money, and from what I've heard from current residents actually pretty good places to live. The main ones that I'm aware of are (company - blocks):

Spectrum Housing - Point Exe
Unite - Exeter Trust House, Northernhay House, Northfield
Collegiate Student Accommodation - Picturehouse Apartments
CRM - The Printworks

Lastly, as a second year I'm in pretty much the same situation as you lot. Last year I wasn't sure if I was going to be coming back for this year, so I didn't sort out a house till very late on and ended up living with a random group of 2nd and 3rd years, and will not be living with them again next year. I'm not going to be living with people I know from my course & societies because they're all either in settled groups or graduating this year, so I'm just waiting to see what comes along.

Sooo, let's make a TSR house! :tongue:
Hey Cryl,

Don't panic, there are lots of options for you from private houses to the off campus halls like Officelinebacker said.

Just to tell you a bit more about Picturehouse, we have a lot of individuals like yourself living with us this year. We offer studios and apartments as well as on-site facilities such as study rooms, cinema and gym. It is a great way to meet new people without having the stress of trying to find people to live with.

If you would like any more information, just get in touch or come and say 'hi', we would be happy to show you around the place.

Best of luck in your search, and remember not to panic, there are lots of people who can help.

Laura
[email protected]

Original post by Cryl
Me and my flatmates are completely different people and there is a clique. They are not bad. We're just different - they party and go out almost every night, and I don't. We're all still nice to each other. But I am 100% sure they don't want to live with me next year.

So I need to explore other options. I really don't know who I can "click" with or people that'll simply have me. I know some people but they're already sharing a house with all their flat members and there's no more room. I should go to society events but Law is such a demanding course and it's really hard to make time to meet new people. And now it's a little late anyway.

Was anyone in this situation last time, are there any options I have right now? Or is there anyone who is at Exeter uni and in a similar situation?
Reply 5
Original post by choppeh
I feel like I'm in a similar situation with most of the people I know already beginning to choose houses for next year.

I know! It's really terrifying. But we have plenty of time. It's only November atm. :smile:

I wouldn't say I'm in exactly the same situation, but I know what you mean about next year. I currently live with masters students and third years, but I'm a first year

How did you end up living in a house in your first year?

Original post by officelinebacker
Quoting you all so you see this.

One option is to keep checking studentpad:

http://www.exeterstudentpad.co.uk/MessageBoard

Towards the end of the term you'll see a lot of people posting up on there who are either first years who are one short for the house they want, or have already paid a deposit on, or second/third year groups who are staying in the same house but have one or two people leaving, so potentially you could find something there.

The other obvious option would be to go for off-campus student halls. There are multiple companies that operate halls of residence in Exeter, all of which are pretty newly built, pretty good value for money, and from what I've heard from current residents actually pretty good places to live. The main ones that I'm aware of are (company - blocks):

Spectrum Housing - Point Exe
Unite - Exeter Trust House, Northernhay House, Northfield
Collegiate Student Accommodation - Picturehouse Apartments
CRM - The Printworks

Lastly, as a second year I'm in pretty much the same situation as you lot. Last year I wasn't sure if I was going to be coming back for this year, so I didn't sort out a house till very late on and ended up living with a random group of 2nd and 3rd years, and will not be living with them again next year. I'm not going to be living with people I know from my course & societies because they're all either in settled groups or graduating this year, so I'm just waiting to see what comes along.

Sooo, let's make a TSR house! :tongue:

Very helpful post. Especially the Studentpad bit. I think sharing a house would be cheaper than going for an off-campus accommodation, no? I'll definitely check the Studentpad later on. There's not much on there atm. If all else fails, we can totally have a TSR house. :tongue:
Original post by Cryl
Very helpful post. Especially the Studentpad bit. I think sharing a house would be cheaper than going for an off-campus accommodation, no? I'll definitely check the Studentpad later on. There's not much on there atm. If all else fails, we can totally have a TSR house. :tongue:

Studentpad tends to have a lot more posts appearing later on in the term, if you look in the last couple of weeks of the term there should be quite a few posts in there.
(edited 10 years ago)
How did you end up living in a house in your first year?

I wasn't planning on going to uni this year but changed my mind last minute and got into Exeter through clearing, so all the accommodation was full. I got offered UNITE accommodation but I was worried about some of the bad things I'd heard about them, and decided to try and find somewhere to live privately. I wound up using studentpad and, after visiting several disasters, found a house that had three occupants already arranged and a spare room. The house was nice and the one person already moved in seemed like a decent guy and swore up and down that the other two were really lovely, so I signed the contract and got the house.

Ideally I'd have met the other two boys first (actually, ideally I wouldn't be the only girl living with three guys) but things have worked out fine in the end. They're a lot more social than me, but they're friendly and funny so I don't get annoyed by them or anything.

Seriously, don't worry too much just yet, and definitely keep an eye on studentpad. The house I'm in now was advertised both there and on gumtree, so maybe check gumtree from time to time as well.
Reply 8
Don't worry at all guys, you'll find somewhere. There are always people stuck for people to live with or groups who have found a house and need another person to join them. In 2nd year I didn't get housing sorted with my group until January and we got a house along Pennsylvania Rd. It was a group of 8, 6 of which I hadn't met before viewings.
The student guild site is good for finding people, it will start to fill up a bit more over Christmas but there's a few people looking already: http://www.exeterguild.org/organisation/housing/finder/
Reply 9
Hello, i am in a similar situation with my flatmates. Did you find anybody to live with next year? :smile: I am looking for housemates as well, but i fear i may be a bit late since most people seem to have signed their contracts already :smile:..
Yeah, I know what you are talking about.... I am kind of short of options, too. Why don't we all try to get a house together?
Reply 11
Original post by mt-95
Hello, i am in a similar situation with my flatmates. Did you find anybody to live with next year? :smile: I am looking for housemates as well, but i fear i may be a bit late since most people seem to have signed their contracts already :smile:..

I haven't found someone yet, but I think there is one friend who's a little shy to ask as I suspect he's in a similar situation.

Original post by Godzilla123
Yeah, I know what you are talking about.... I am kind of short of options, too. Why don't we all try to get a house together?

Actually, shall we all meet up and try and do so? Did anyone go to the housing fair today?
Original post by Cryl
x

x

Original post by mt-95
x

x

So, shall we all go and grab a drink in the Ram some time?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
So, shall we all go and grab a drink in the Ram some time?

Sure thing. I'm free on Thursday at 11. What about everyone else?
Original post by Cryl
Sure thing. I'm free on Thursday at 11. What about everyone else?

Ok, looking at the end of this week I'm free from:

Thursday - 11 till 3 or any time after 5.
Friday - 12 till 5 or any time after 6.
All weekend.
Reply 15
Hiya! I'm hoping it's not too late to ask if I could also join in possibly?
I originally had plans to live with a course-mate, but they decided to drop out over Xmas, leaving me stranded. My flatmates and other friends in the meantime have already sorted themselves out and I just have nowhere else to turn to at this point :/ I'm starting to get really panicky about it!

If so, i'm free:

Thursday - after 6
Friday - All day
And all weekend
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Ok, looking at the end of this week I'm free from:

Thursday - 11 till 3 or any time after 5.
Friday - 12 till 5 or any time after 6.
All weekend.

Original post by Calmarsi
Hiya! I'm hoping it's not too late to ask if I could also join in possibly?
I originally had plans to live with a course-mate, but they decided to drop out over Xmas, leaving me stranded. My flatmates and other friends in the meantime have already sorted themselves out and I just have nowhere else to turn to at this point :/ I'm starting to get really panicky about it!

If so, i'm free:

Thursday - after 6
Friday - All day
And all weekend

Alright, cool, no problem! I think we should meet up during the weekends as everyone is free then. Is that it? Anyone else wanna join?

X

Original post by mt-95
X
Reply 17
I'm good for this weekend if anyone else is :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hey everybody, sounds good, this weekend is good for me too :smile: ..
Reply 19
Alright, is everyone good for 2 PM outside the RAM on Saturday 18th (tomorrow)? I'll PM you all my number.

Original post by mt-95
X

Original post by Calmarsi
X

X

Anyone else who wants to join - just PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest