The Student Room Group

Zidane>Ronaldo=Messi

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Manchester United
In my lifetime;

Ronaldo/Messi (to avoid that debate) >>>>> Zidane > Ronaldo > Kaka 2007 > Ronaldinho = Iniesta > Xavi = Henry > Nedved > ...

I would throw Maldini in there, but it may confuse things.

I was thinking about this the other day. For me, Messi is the best player of all time, with no real close competition.

All the players you listed are magnificent, but I decided Ronaldinho is my 2nd favourite. He seemed to be able to come up with tricks I have rarely seen other players do and use them with devastating effect. Quite often players who do tricks do them for the sake of it and they don't actually get them anywhere. The simple genius of his toe poke against Chelsea was breathtaking, too.

On top of all that, his performance against Real Madrid is the best I've ever seen one player have:

[video="youtube;ZyRCKZww-vI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyRCKZww-vI[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CB91
I'd say they have tbh. Especially Iniesta, he's done everything Zidane has plus more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, no he hasn't. Zidane has scored better goals than Iniesta. Zidane can take free-kicks, Zidane can header. Zidane has won FIFA World Player of the Year three times. Zidane has almost single-handedly taken his country to a world cup final. Zidane is more of a big-game player. Zidane could pull off better tricks.

What does Iniesta have that Zidane does not.
Reply 22
As said before, Zidane had an aura that made him into one of these figures that people, on the whole, admired.

I remember the many magnificient moments but also he conjured up moments of rage (most notably in his last match) that made people like him even more in someway. On the pitch, he controlled the game and conjured up many memorable moments.

But for me, if I had to choose to having Zidane or Iniesta, I'd go for the latter. He has his own control on the game, assists, scores, good close ball control, and he delivers. In the 2009 & 2011 CL finals, he helped his team win and scored the winning goal in the 2010 WC. Should he be dismissed to Zidane because he can't head? lol

Eventually, once Iniesta retires, I think he'll be appreciated more than Zidane for his contribution, trophies won.
Reply 23
Original post by Aky786UK
As said before, Zidane had an aura that made him into one of these figures that people, on the whole, admired.

I remember the many magnificient moments but also he conjured up moments of rage (most notably in his last match) that made people like him even more in someway. On the pitch, he controlled the game and conjured up many memorable moments.

But for me, if I had to choose to having Zidane or Iniesta, I'd go for the latter. He has his own control on the game, assists, scores, good close ball control, and he delivers. In the 2009 & 2011 CL finals, he helped his team win and scored the winning goal in the 2010 WC. Should he be dismissed to Zidane because he can't head? lol

Eventually, once Iniesta retires, I think he'll be appreciated more than Zidane for his contribution, trophies won.

Iniesta has never been the star of Barca, in the same way Scholes was never the star of Man U. Without Iniesta, however, the stars (Ronaldinho, Messi et al) wouldn't be able to play as well as they have or still do. As you say, Zidane had an aura and a big transfer fee to draw even more attention to him.

Iniesta seems incredibly humble and never does anything to draw attention to himself - people only ever talk about his ability. The way he plays will be the way midfielders of the future aspire to play.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by CB91
On their day, maybe Zidane could reach their level but Ronaldo and Messi's consistency puts them ahead of everyone.

And nice try in trying to be all hipster about Zidane. I remember him, and whilst I do remember the genius, I also remember a lot of crap performances and disappearing against the smaller teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This,
Ronaldo and Messi are the two greatest players to ever grace the game. Zizou probably up there with the Ronaldinhos, peles, Maradonas, iniestas etc. but not Ronaldo and Messi.

Also, Iniesta>Xavi at his peak. Although that mother****er was untouchable in the midfield in 09.

Schweinsteigger is comparable to the ballacks, lampards and Gerrards, tier slightly below although pretty amazing at their best, but they couldn't control a game like Iniesta could, although they're more likely to dig your team out of a hole than Iniesta can.
(edited 10 years ago)
There's only three footballers that can be regarded as the greatest of all time. Two are Argentinian and one is Brazilian.

Of course, Phil Jones is exempt from any sort of ranking, as it's unfair on others.
Reply 26
Original post by bammy jastard 27
This,
Ronaldo and Messi are the two greatest players to ever grace the game. Zizou probably up there with the Ronaldinhos, peles, Maradonas, iniestas etc. but not Ronaldo and Messi.

Also, Iniesta>Xavi at his peak. Although that mother****er was untouchable in the midfield in 09.

Schweinsteigger is comparable to the ballacks, lampards and Gerrards, tier slightly below although pretty amazing at their best, but they couldn't control a game like Iniesta could, although they're more likely to dig your team out of a hole than Iniesta can.

Nah. Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona and Pele. This is the top tier imo. No particular order.

Next tier down would be Iniesta, Zidane (these two really remind me of each other in terms of how they play, how they look and how their careers have gone) and arguably Ronaldinho (from your list, although this tier is very much harder to decide)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr_Vain
Nah. Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona and Pele. This is the top tier imo. No particular order.

That senile old prick :biggrin:?

Doesn't deserve to lick El Diego's boots. Pele's achievements are vastly embellished, his career total of goals - closer to 500 than the 1,000 he says he scored. And most of those were in a really weak regional, state Brazilian league, not the national league. The equivalent of Rooney scoring hat tricks every week in a Greater Manchester or Lancashire league including teams like Rochdale and Bury instead of the Premier League.

Also if you read up on the Brazilian team of the 60's and 70's, Pele was never their star player (Garrincha & Jairzinho were widely considered to be their best).

I've always rated Eusebio higher and his footage you can see is more impressive. His record of 600+ goals, many of which were against the cream of the European crop in the 60's, hold far more weight than Pele's. And if you look at his achievements with Portugal, achieving 3rd place in '66 at a time when Portugal never even qualified for a World Cup. 2 European Cups and runners up 3 times with Benfica too. Sure Pele won 3 World Cups with Brazil, probably the 2nd greatest international team of all time, absolutely rammed with star players. How's Eusebio gonna win a WC with Portugal :biggrin:?

I think it's absurd when people hold Pele in higher esteem than Eusebio and I'm not just saying that cos he carked it recently, been saying it for years, probably even posted it on here before.

Next tier down would be Iniesta, Zidane (these two really remind me of each other in terms of how they play, how they look and how their careers have gone) and arguably Ronaldinho (from your list, although this tier is very much harder to decide)

Ronaldinho's peak was too short but as far as entertainment goes, yeah.
(edited 10 years ago)
Technique wise, stats wise - Messi and then Ronaldo Luís Nazário
Aura - Zidane, Kaka, Ronaldinho

If I wanted to win a game, I'd pick Messi but Zidane had a way of transforming a game to the point where winning didn't even matter. As a football fan, Zidane is my favourite player but Messi is the best ever to grace the game. Tbh, I can't even find a place to slot CR7.
Reply 29
Original post by Wilfred Little
That senile old prick :biggrin:?

Doesn't deserve to lick El Diego's boots. Pele's achievements are vastly embellished, his career total of goals - closer to 500 than the 1,000 he says he scored. And most of those were in a really weak regional, state Brazilian league, not the national league. The equivalent of Rooney scoring hat tricks every week in a Greater Manchester or Lancashire league including teams like Rochdale and Bury instead of the Premier League.

Also if you read up on the Brazilian team of the 60's and 70's, Pele was never their star player (Garrincha & Jairzinho were widely considered to be their best).

I've always rated Eusebio higher and his footage you can see is more impressive. His record of 600+ goals, many of which were against the cream of the European crop in the 60's, hold far more weight than Pele's. And if you look at his achievements with Portugal, achieving 3rd place in '66 at a time when Portugal never even qualified for a World Cup. 2 European Cups and runners up 3 times with Benfica too. Sure Pele won 3 World Cups with Brazil, probably the 2nd greatest international team of all time, absolutely rammed with star players. How's Eusebio gonna win a WC with Portugal :biggrin:?

I think it's absurd when people hold Pele in higher esteem than Eusebio and I'm not just saying that cos he carked it recently, been saying it for years, probably even posted it on here before.

Ronaldinho's peak was too short but as far as entertainment goes, yeah.

Santos were not a bad side, by any stretch of the imagination. They were one of the best sides ever, listed 7th greatest ever club side in FourFourTwo's magazine a few months back. I would say Pele was their main player. They won the intercontinental cup twice in 1962 and 1963. Coincidentally, beating Benfica, and Milan. Yes, Eusebio was not at his peak at this point imo, but it was still indicative of how good Santos were and how good Pele was. They toured the world playing high profile friendlies rather than playing in the Copa Libertadores after winning it twice in 1962 and 1963. They tried to play Di Stefano's Real Madrid but never suggested , it was widely believed that Madrid feared being given a lesson. Pele, btw, was their highest paid player and they struggled to pay his wages. So, by all extents their star player.

Some scores, and there were many:
Santos 4 - 1 Inter
Santos 5 - 2 Eintracht Frankfurt
Santos 4 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday
Santos 5 - 2 Benfica
Santos 4 - 0 Benfica

I accept that he had a lot of great players playing with him, but so have Messi and Ronaldo. I can also go on the word of my Dad who saw Pele play with Santos live, way back in time, and he claims also that Pele was that good. In my honest opinion though, in a world of fine margins, Maradona was the best player of all time simply because all throughout his career he won. Not just that , he did it with balls, with handicaps.
Being very short, carrying relatively bad teams to world cups, going to a small club in Italy to prove a point that he could carry them to Serie A almost single handed with divine interventions at times (and against a very tough league in it's heyday). Maradona is my favourite ever player though, i am a bit biased. He had balls of steel in addition to the ability that Messi has.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr_Vain
Santos were not a bad side, by any stretch of the imagination.

Santos are obviously a classic football club, I didn't say they weren't, just that the majority of Pele's goals came against really crap teams. Look it up. If they were against the best teams in Brazil then you could compare it to the quality of a top division in a country but they weren't.

Looking through Emilio Castaño's statistical analysis of Pelé's goal-scoring feats, you can't help but notice irregularities.

Scoreline Pelé's goals
Santos 11-0 Botafogo Ribeirão Preto 8
Santos 11-1 Maringá 5
Santos 10-3 Nitro-Química 5
Santos 10-0 Nacional 5
Santos 10-1 Royal Neerschot 5
Santos 10-2 Guarani 5
Santos 10-1 Juventus 5

The eight goals Pelé scored against Botafogo didn't come against the Botafogo.

It came against a side bearing the same name and whose only achievement was producing the late great Sócrates.

It's not the Uruguayan Nacional but some state side in São Paulo. The same applies to Juventus—not the European one, but another irrelevant state side.

Using a modern-day example, it's like Chelsea beating up on Brentford and Leyton Orient in a separate London league.

Even Fernando Torres would score goals against those sides.

They were one of the best sides ever, listed 7th greatest ever club side in FourFourTwo's magazine a few months back. I would say Pele was their main player. They won the intercontinental cup twice in 1962 and 1963. Coincidentally, beating Benfica, and Milan. Yes, Eusebio was not at his peak at this point imo, but it was still indicative of how good Santos were and how good Pele was. They toured the world playing high profile friendlies rather than playing in the Copa Libertadores after winning it twice in 1962 and 1963. They tried to play Di Stefano's Real Madrid but never suggested , it was widely believed that Madrid feared being given a lesson. Pele, btw, was their highest paid player and they struggled to pay his wages. So, by all extents their star player.

Some scores, and there were many:
Santos 4 - 1 Inter
Santos 5 - 2 Eintracht Frankfurt
Santos 4 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday
Santos 5 - 2 Benfica
Santos 4 - 0 Benfica

I accept that he had a lot of great players playing with him, but so have Messi and Ronaldo. I can also go on the word of my Dad who saw Pele play with Santos live, way back in time, and he claims also that Pele was that good. In my honest opinion though, in a world of fine margins, Maradona was the best player of all time simply because all throughout his career he won. Not just that , he did it with balls, with handicaps.
Being very short, carrying relatively bad teams to world cups, going to a small club in Italy to prove a point that he could carry them to Serie A almost single handed with divine interventions at times (and against a very tough league with opponents that had way more resources). Maradona is my favourite ever player though, i am a bit biased. He had balls of steel in addition to the ability that Messi has.

I tend not to take the opinions of older people too seriously to be honest. A lot of them tend to have this idea that that can spot something us younger fans can't and they're somehow more wise and knowledgeable. Not saying your dad is like that I'm just putting it out there.

Another thing that I find interesting, is Pele's recognition of his team mates, or should I say, lack of:

When Pelé compiled his 125 greatest living footballers list, he didn't include many of his teammates.

Regarding the teammates that made the cut: There are two of the greatest right-backs ever in Carlos Alberto and Djalma Santos. Then there is one of the greatest left-backs ever in Nílton Santos. Also a marvelous midfielder in Rivelino.

Here are Pelé's teammates who were ineligible for his list: Garrincha (inspired Brazil to win the 1962 FIFA World Cup), Vavá (scored three goals in two World Cup finals) and Didi (1958 World Cup Golden Ball winner).

Pelé shockingly omitted teammates: Gérson, Jairzinho, Gilmar, Tostão, Zito, Bellini and Zagallo.

I read into the omissions as Pelé's way of downplaying his teammate's role in his success.

I would have liked to see Pelé symbolically include Santos strike partner Coutinho on the list as a way of saying thank you. After all, they did supposedly combine for over 1,000 goals.

I'll never forget what Gérson, who was Pelé's Xavi, said this about his role in that legendary 1970 World Cup team:

Now the interesting thing is this, as incredible as it might seem, I prefer a thousand times over to make the pass, rather than to score the goal. For me this was the glory because this is what I was trained for.

It was disgraceful that Pelé forgot about the thousands of passes Gérson made.

Gerson's comments on Pele's list:

Gérson displayed anger towards Pele's list. He was adamant with the ruling and thought that he and a few of his teammates deserved a spot on the list. He symbolically ripped up a piece of paper, a clear representation of Pele's list, on a local broadcasting station saying that, "I respect his opinion, but I don't agree. Apart from Zidane, Platini, and Fontaine, I'm behind 11 Frenchmen? It's a joke to hear this."

Pele is a ruthless, narcissistic bastard who over hypes his own achievements. Barely played in '62 and Brazil still won, which shows how good they were, and yet he won't acknowledge his team mates :biggrin:?

Pele was obviously great, but there are a fair few players who's achievements are far more impressive. Maradona, Messi, Eusebio, Puskas. Obviously I have not watched all of these week in week out, so I can only go by the history books and judge by those (which is more informed than most people who just rattle off Pele's name as the automatic greatest in the same way people do it with Ali without having ever watched a fight). But Pele likes to base his argument as the greatest on stats so I'm just making a point others have more impressive stats than he does. There is no argument to convince me Pele is the greatest or even on the same tier as those guys.

He's an imposter.
Reply 31
x

Wow, he sounds like a ****, not a likeable one either. I was not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, I have not seen the information you just posted up there before. It seems strange that the footballing world just seems to agree with the opinion though that he is probably the joint best player ever. Having said that, he seems very militant with his self promotion.
Reply 32
this thread has not been done before.... a bunch of teenagers salivating over youtubes of ronaldo vs messi, as if footabll was invented from 2004/ zindane vintage?? What about THE original Ronaldo of brazil? Pele? Socrates? Falcao? Zico? Cruyf? Platini? Garrincha? and the greatest of them all M-A-R-A-D-O-N-A
Reply 33
Hipster ****ing central.

Maradona is 3rd with the likes of Eusebio and Pele.

I think Pele was overrated. Ronaldo and Messi are the greatest forward players to ever grace the game. Pele is a senile old prick as Wilfred aptly puts it and half his goals were against joke opposition.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
How is rating Zidane hipster mate?

Hipster is starting a discussion about Gustavo at Wolfsburg or some ****. Just really like Zidane and think the obsession with Ronaldo/Messi, who are both out of this world, leaves Zidane who was up there forgotten. When I was growing up he was as good as it got.

I was more on about your "you had to have seen him to know how good he was" line.

I enjoyed watching Zidane as much as anyone but he was far from perfect, still an all time great though.

From what I've seen in my lifetime, Messi (GOAT IMO) > C. Ronaldo > Ronaldo > Zidane = Iniesta > Xavi > Ronaldinho > Kaka.

Kind of unfair on defenders but it's the nature of the game tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tengentoppa
Well, no he hasn't. Zidane has scored better goals than Iniesta. Zidane can take free-kicks, Zidane can header. Zidane has won FIFA World Player of the Year three times. Zidane has almost single-handedly taken his country to a world cup final. Zidane is more of a big-game player. Zidane could pull off better tricks.

What does Iniesta have that Zidane does not.

Free kicks? Tricks? Are you ok?

Fair enough he doesn't score enough, but when he does it's normally a massive goal (v Chelsea 09, WC final).

Iniesta would have multiple Ballon d'Or's but he's in the time of Messi and Ronaldo. If Zidane would have been playing atm he would have 0 aswell. Iniesta has been the maestro behind a sextuple, another 2 CL, 2 Euro, and a World Cup, being player of the tournament in atleast 2 of them and the standout player in the greatest national team ever.

And he's still only 29.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Pele was obviously great, but there are a fair few players who's achievements are far more impressive. Maradona, Messi, Eusebio, Puskas. Obviously I have not watched all of these week in week out, so I can only go by the history books and judge by those (which is more informed than most people who just rattle off Pele's name as the automatic greatest in the same way people do it with Ali without having ever watched a fight). But Pele likes to base his argument as the greatest on stats so I'm just making a point others have more impressive stats than he does. There is no argument to convince me Pele is the greatest or even on the same tier as those guys.

He's an imposter.

As I've said time and time again, the only person who thinks Pele is the greatest of all time is Pele. Your points about the quality of league he scored in are spot on and he shouldn't be mentioned when discussing the best ever.

He is the Milli Vanilli of footballers.
Reply 37
Original post by CB91
I was more on about your "you had to have seen him to know how good he was" line.

I enjoyed watching Zidane as much as anyone but he was far from perfect, still an all time great though.

From what I've seen in my lifetime, Messi (GOAT IMO) > C. Ronaldo > Ronaldo > Zidane = Iniesta > Xavi > Ronaldinho > Kaka.

Kind of unfair on defenders but it's the nature of the game tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even better than Maradona? Really?
Reply 38
Original post by Mr_Vain
Even better than Maradona? Really?

Is this ridiculous in some way? Rather a lot of people think Messi is the best ever and rightly so.
Original post by EatMyJunk
this thread has not been done before.... a bunch of teenagers salivating over youtubes of ronaldo vs messi, as if footabll was invented from 2004/ zindane vintage?? What about THE original Ronaldo of brazil? Pele? Socrates? Falcao? Zico? Cruyf? Platini? Garrincha? and the greatest of them all M-A-R-A-D-O-N-A

Kind of hard to rate all of those players when people here are not old enough to have seen them play. I'm sure all of your watched YouTube footage of them is proof of how much better they are than Ronaldo & Messi. Two players that a lot of people have watched all of their matches.

Quick Reply

Latest