The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rugby234
Fair enough! I was a junior... Ive stopped rowing now, rowed through Uni, did a few GB bits, henley etc then packed it in!

Ah right :smile: I'm too lazy to ever do any serious competitions!
Hello all, just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a junior (J15), I've been rowing for a year and I row on the River Dee. It's a good river with almost endless amounts of rowable water although it can be affected by high tides and storms (there is currently a tree marooned in the middle of the river).

Last weekend the juniors had a 'training camp' whereby we came down all day every day to train. We even tried sweep (we're all scullers) which was interesting to say the least (I couldn't feather or square because the oar handle was humongous!)

But yeah. Before I started rowing I never knew that something could be painful and fun at the same time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1262
First time in our 8+ without any seniors. Gonna be a very interesting and exciting day!
Original post by Peanut
First time in our 8+ without any seniors. Gonna be a very interesting and exciting day!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1264
Does anyone else row from Putney? I'm still so confused by the tides, stream and where we're supposed to be on the river! Now I'm going out in a single a lot I really need to know that sort of thing :frown:
Original post by Alix23
Does anyone else row from Putney? I'm still so confused by the tides, stream and where we're supposed to be on the river! Now I'm going out in a single a lot I really need to know that sort of thing :frown:

I row from Chiswick, but I've found these slides quite helpful http://putneytownrc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lecture_slides_oct_2010.pdf
Reply 1266
Original post by Witty Username
I row from Chiswick, but I've found these slides quite helpful http://putneytownrc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lecture_slides_oct_2010.pdf

Thank you so much! That will really help, and I'm sure I'll get used to it once I've been out a few more times and a bit further from Putney.
Original post by Alix23
Thank you so much! That will really help, and I'm sure I'll get used to it once I've been out a few more times and a bit further from Putney.

No problem :smile: you'll surprise yourself with how quickly you pick it all up!
Reply 1268
hey, anyone who's in rowing using any sport supplements and would like to help me with my research involving few tasks and answering to few questions ? free lunch in return :wink:
Hi was anyone at the Dee Autumn Head on Saturday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1270
Will anyone be going to the BUCS Indoor Championships at Salford uni?
Let's get the discussion going again... uh... What's your favourite boat to row in? eg double single etc

My favourite (training) boat is probably the single, but I prefer racing in a coxless quad because it's fast and I like my crew :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1272
Original post by Steliata
Let's get the discussion going again... uh... What's your favourite boat to row in? eg double single etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got to be a coxed four, I'll take it without a cox, but I can't do singles. Means a loss is always my fault.
Original post by tes1996
Got to be a coxed four, I'll take it without a cox, but I can't do singles. Means a loss is always my fault.

True about the single, but surely if, say, an eight loses, it's the entire crew's fault too?

I've never rowed a coxed four (I only scull as I'm a junior) but sweep does sound more team-oriented because of how you rely on the rest of the team so you don't go round in circles!
Reply 1274
True about the single, but surely if, say, an eight loses, it's the entire crew's fault too?

I've never rowed a coxed four (I only scull as I'm a junior) but sweep does sound more team-oriented because of how you rely on the rest of the team so you don't go round in circles!

Once you've mastered sculling, rowing will be easy
How long have you been doing it for? And where- school, local club etc?
Original post by tes1996
Once you've mastered sculling, rowing will be easy
How long have you been doing it for? And where- school, local club etc?

I've been doing it for a year and two months now, and I'm rowing at a local club - my school isn't rich nor near a river, haha

I have tried sweep once (at the end of a rowing camp) but I couldn't fit my inside hand round the oar so I had to use my wrists to feather and square :/

EDIT: No wonder I got déjà-vu when I was writing this - I've posted about it before *doh*
(edited 10 years ago)

Depends on whether you lost because the rowers rowed terribly, the cox steered terribly or another reason!
I agree! I prefer training in a single. But I loveeeeee racing in a coxless quad. Ahh, it's amazing when you hear the wind as the boat slices through the water!

Unfortunately, I no longer row with a club - just my school, and there aren't enough boys to form a quad :'(
Reply 1278
Anyone going to be at WEHoRR?
Reply 1279
I'm going to be starting racing soon! Schools' head (assuming it isn't cancelled) and then something in Gent next month :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest