The Student Room Group

Fourth Year Fourier Analysis At Scottish Uni As Third Year Student

I am considering taking a 10 credit fourth year course in Fourier Analysis, as a third year.

I'm not sure I can handle it. I'm already doing very badly at uni. I'd appreciate advice.

Here is the course description:

Fourier series, pointwise convergence of Fourier series and other summability methods. Fourier transform, convolution, Schwartz spaces and tempered distributions, convergence and summability of Fourier integral, eigenfunctions of FT (Hermite polynomials).

Here are the intended learning outcomes:

1. Ability to apply general theory to specific examples.
2. An ability to use orthogonality arguments in concrete situations.
3. Familiarity of basic Fourier analysis results and an ability to use them.
4. To gain an appreciation of the interplay between analysis, geometry and algebra in the setting of Fourier theory.
Reply 1
Original post by nohomo
I am considering taking a 10 credit fourth year course in Fourier Analysis, as a third year.

I'm not sure I can handle it. I'm already doing very badly at uni. I'd appreciate advice.

Here is the course description:

Fourier series, pointwise convergence of Fourier series and other summability methods. Fourier transform, convolution, Schwartz spaces and tempered distributions, convergence and summability of Fourier integral, eigenfunctions of FT (Hermite polynomials).

Here are the intended learning outcomes:

1. Ability to apply general theory to specific examples.
2. An ability to use orthogonality arguments in concrete situations.
3. Familiarity of basic Fourier analysis results and an ability to use them.
4. To gain an appreciation of the interplay between analysis, geometry and algebra in the setting of Fourier theory.

Fourier Analysis isn't that hard... All the stuff on your course comes up in second year Maths, Physics (my course) and Psychology where I am and it really isn't that hard if you get linear algebra.
Reply 2
Original post by natninja
Fourier Analysis isn't that hard... All the stuff on your course comes up in second year Maths, Physics (my course) and Psychology where I am and it really isn't that hard if you get linear algebra.

Thank you

My director of studies was concerned about me taking this course, as apparently some fourth years struggle with it, even. Apparently it involves lots of epsilon-delta proofs (not that I personally struggle with these).
Original post by natninja

Things like the space of tempered distributions come up in a psychology degree? Really?

Physics degrees tend to teach some sort of fourier analysis quite early. However, they don't tend to give rigorous proofs of convergence which I would expect this course to cover.

Original post by nohomo
Thank you

My director of studies was concerned about me taking this course, as apparently some fourth years struggle with it, even. Apparently it involves lots of epsilon-delta proofs (not that I personally struggle with these).

If you're struggling already then I wouldn't recommend taking a course from a later year. It's probably a better idea to wait.

Quick Reply

Latest