The Student Room Group

HND or straight to University

Hello,

Im currently studying Level 3 course in Enterprise and entrepreneurship, my local college have offered me a place straight on a Level 5 HND course in business skipping the HNC (level 4). I have applied to go to university to continue my studying in entrepreneurship.

My dilemma is do i choose to do the HND course whats only £4,200 and leads straight to the last year of university so completing my degree in just 2 year, or do i go straight to University?

I look forward to hearing your opinions,
Thanks
Reply 1
I did a HND and tbh it was a good course but I found some problems with it, one being alot of people (self included) didnt get offered final year places despite getting mostly distinctions (I got 12 out of 16 with the remainder being 1 merit and 3 pass)

the problem was most uni's (atleast ones I applied to) didnt consider the level of work on par with those entering final year of uni, and.. they suggested most do the placement year, thus needing to do the 2nd year before hand.

that being said top-up degrees exist which is basicaly 1 year full time makes your HND a degree (assuming u pass) seems a good deal and all but generaly as your course sounds more academic I think you might be better going straight to uni.

I benefited from the HND as I did software dev and got to use a variety of technologies many uni's dont (including developing xbox 360 games) and gaining a Cisco (networking professional) qualification for no extra cost.

that being said software dev is pretty academic but if you cant actualy do the job you'd find a hard time getting one, but thats just an example.

anyway, if you go the HND result you mightent have the option for a top-up (there isnt a huge variety of these) and may have to do year 2 onwards of a standard degree, meaning it will actually cost you more.

at anycase as someone whos done a HND here is a small list of pro's and cons if you ask me:

Pro:
-dont have to leave home (could also be a con)
-get student loan
-generally lower fees than a degree
-option for work placement (not all courses offer this)
-option for additional/professional qualifications (again not all courses/colleges offer this)
-generaly vocational orientation leaning more towards job based skills

Con:
-could cost more in the long run
-if you dont go onto uni after you may find it harder to get a job (debateable)
-As it is at a college you wont may not have the same atmosphere and social life as you would at uni.
-Fairly intensive in terms of assignments (I remember one of mine being 12,000 words on networking theory :tongue:)
-If you do go to uni after you will be a bit older than everyone else (unless u manage to bag a final year place ofcourse)
-You mightent like the course and then "fall out" with the subject based on that, leading you to not rele want to go onto uni (kinda happened to me)
-you might not be in a position to go to uni after doing it
-you might regret not chosing uni instead

generally im glad I did the HND and advocate HND's and Btecs but I tried to be unbiased as much as I can to give you those pro's and cons, ultimately its up to you but I hope you are happy with whatever choice you make,

good luck!
Original post by LukeM90
I did a HND and tbh it was a good course but I found some problems with it, one being alot of people (self included) didnt get offered final year places despite getting mostly distinctions (I got 12 out of 16 with the remainder being 1 merit and 3 pass)

the problem was most uni's (atleast ones I applied to) didnt consider the level of work on par with those entering final year of uni, and.. they suggested most do the placement year, thus needing to do the 2nd year before hand.

that being said top-up degrees exist which is basicaly 1 year full time makes your HND a degree (assuming u pass) seems a good deal and all but generaly as your course sounds more academic I think you might be better going straight to uni.

I benefited from the HND as I did software dev and got to use a variety of technologies many uni's dont (including developing xbox 360 games) and gaining a Cisco (networking professional) qualification for no extra cost.

that being said software dev is pretty academic but if you cant actualy do the job you'd find a hard time getting one, but thats just an example.

anyway, if you go the HND result you mightent have the option for a top-up (there isnt a huge variety of these) and may have to do year 2 onwards of a standard degree, meaning it will actually cost you more.

at anycase as someone whos done a HND here is a small list of pro's and cons if you ask me:

Pro:
-dont have to leave home (could also be a con)
-get student loan
-generally lower fees than a degree
-option for work placement (not all courses offer this)
-option for additional/professional qualifications (again not all courses/colleges offer this)
-generaly vocational orientation leaning more towards job based skills

Con:
-could cost more in the long run
-if you dont go onto uni after you may find it harder to get a job (debateable)
-As it is at a college you wont may not have the same atmosphere and social life as you would at uni.
-Fairly intensive in terms of assignments (I remember one of mine being 12,000 words on networking theory :tongue:)
-If you do go to uni after you will be a bit older than everyone else (unless u manage to bag a final year place ofcourse)
-You mightent like the course and then "fall out" with the subject based on that, leading you to not rele want to go onto uni (kinda happened to me)
-you might not be in a position to go to uni after doing it
-you might regret not chosing uni instead

generally im glad I did the HND and advocate HND's and Btecs but I tried to be unbiased as much as I can to give you those pro's and cons, ultimately its up to you but I hope you are happy with whatever choice you make,

good luck!

What about me?

I have terrible E grades all across my AL's (due to depression/anxiety at the time)
And I have already taken a gap year.
I find that I hardly have a chance at the foudation years, and that I basically would have to do a HND to get into university.

But I am worried that doing a HND would be a bad deal since I would stil have limited choice as to what I would want to study? :frown:

Should I just resit my A levels again, do an Access course or just get into one of these HND's?

Keep in mind, I migh want to do a HND in psychology, but I know how competitive this subject is. So it discourages me and makes me think of doing a HND in engineering insetad? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending