The Student Room Group

How much Shakespeare have you read?

I've only covered Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet (for GCSE), and Julius Caesar so far - how about you guys? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Just the standard school text R&J. I couldn't read it for fun, I find it so cumbersome and tough going.
Reply 2
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Just the standard school text R&J. I couldn't read it for fun, I find it so cumbersome and tough going.

Is that because of the writing style? It is kind of archaic and flowery, I find it a nice change from the usual though :smile:
Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream and some sonnets that I can't remember the names of :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by chloevictoria
Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream and some sonnets that I can't remember the names of :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh that's quite a few! How long does it usually take you to read one? :smile:
I've not read as much as I'd like, I read 'MacBeth' and 'Romeo and Juliet' at school and in my own time I've read 'Hamlet' and 'The Merchant of Venice' the latter being my favourite but I would like to get round to reading some more. :smile:
Reply 6
Romeo & Juliet, and Julius Caesar (IGCSE). I'm still **** at Literature though
Midsummer Night's Dream
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth
King Lear
A little Othello when I studied King Lear.

King Lear was awesome. Got a B in A Level English Lit and I'm sure King Lear saved my ****ing life there -- I got to to analyse the **** out of the characters and I basically gave them each a psych evaluation. :love: If it wasn't for sleep deprivation I totally would have mindgasmed that day. :daydreaming:
Reply 8
Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice. In some form or another I've seen Othello, Richard II, Henry IV parts I and II, Henry V, Macbeth. Not great for an English student.
Reply 9
Macbeth, Twelfth Night, Henry VI parts I, II and III, Richard III, Richard II, Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, and Merchant of Venice.

I have seen many more, but these are the only ones I have read. I prefer his history plays to the comedies if I am honest.
Reply 10
Hamlet
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Antony and Cleopatra
Twelfth Night
Titus Andronicus
The Tempest
Much Ado About Nothing
Richard II
Henry IV 1 & 2
Henry V
Winter's Tale
All of the sonnets

And I'm going to start A Midsummer Night's Dream soon.
Macbeth, The Tempest, Romeo & Juliet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream for a school play.
Bits of The Tempest which weren't too bad, Romeo and Juliet (eurgh; sorry it's just a bit overrated), Macbeth was... ok I guess, same with Othello, more recently bits of A Midsummer Night's Dream which is nice enough, Much Ado About Nothing and I start Hamlet next month. My school likes Shakespere... a lot.
Original post by KJane
Hamlet
Macbeth
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Antony and Cleopatra
Twelfth Night
Titus Andronicus
The Tempest
Much Ado About Nothing
Richard II
Henry IV 1 & 2
Henry V
Winter's Tale
All of the sonnets

And I'm going to start A Midsummer Night's Dream soon.

Are they ALL for school? I mean if some are for fun then fine, but if that's all your school, I mean when do you have the chance to sleep?
Reply 14
Original post by EllieC130
Are they ALL for school? I mean if some are for fun then fine, but if that's all your school, I mean when do you have the chance to sleep?

All were for University apart from the sonnets, Richard II, Henry IV 1 & 2, Henry V and Much Ado about nothing. :tongue:

A handful were studied on Renaissance to Enlightenment and Renaissance Tragedy modules that I did, otherwise Shakespeare just tends to pop up quite a bit over the entirety of my degree. He is without a doubt my most studied author.

Spoiler

Not as much as I should have.

Just Romeo & Juliet, and Much Ado About Nothing.
Original post by KJane
All were for University apart from the sonnets, Richard II, Henry IV 1 & 2, Henry V and Much Ado about nothing. :tongue:

A handful were studied on Renaissance to Enlightenment and Renaissance Tragedy modules that I did, otherwise Shakespeare just tends to pop up quite a bit over the entirety of my degree. He is without a doubt my most studied author.

Spoiler

Half the degree I want to study is English... now I'm very scared.
Reply 17
Original post by EllieC130
Half the degree I want to study is English... now I'm very scared.

Oops! Didn't mean to scare. :tongue:

English is intense at University, but it is manageable. I study so many books a week because I do purely English. So if you do half and half English with something else, I'm guessing you'd take two english modules each semester, so you'd be doing maybe two books a week/fortnight instead of my four.
Macbeth, King Lear, The Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and Merchant of Venice. Seen 2 of those at the RSC, too.

And... I'm not doing any Shakespeare at uni. Feel like a bad English student but I think it's time to let Shakespeare go.
Original post by KJane
Oops! Didn't mean to scare. :tongue:

English is intense at University, but it is manageable. I study so many books a week because I do purely English. So if you do half and half English with something else, I'm guessing you'd take two english modules each semester, so you'd be doing maybe two books a week/fortnight instead of my four.

Except my other subject is drama... am I allowed to be scared now?:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest